Windows 10: Really Slow Response Since Updating

Discus and support Really Slow Response Since Updating in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My system has been a flyer from the very first install of Windows 10 Pro when it originally came out (the free year). It would update automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by riqrat, Jul 12, 2017.

1. riqrat Win User

Really Slow Response Since Updating

My system has been a flyer from the very first install of Windows 10 Pro when it originally came out (the free year).

It would update automatically (very annoying notices...usually when I'm in the middle of something). Due to being annoying and I wanting to control it, I had it disabled a couple months ago.

So yesterday, I decided to check for updates and of course there were a few. So I updated. It then announced something about Creators Update or something like that and ever since my computer runs like a DOG!

I've scoured the web for suggestions on tweaking my startup apps, deleting temp files, running Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner, CCleaner, etc.

I'm looking at my Processes and CPU usage numbers and they appear to be fine. I'd click on say Firefox to start it up, can see it show up in Task Manager (Apps), the CPU not stressed more than 15% with other apps open as well, but the program itself does not show up on the desktop until 30 seconds or so goes by!

And this is with every program pretty much.

It is so slow starting up programs, that I'd start to think that maybe I didn't double-click it fast enough and do it again, only to end up with multiple instances of the app starting due to my multiple clicks.

And it seems I get that spinning blue circle where my cursor arrow would be all the time now, telling me to wait, wait, wait.

System:
    Z77 Professional-M MB
    Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT640 (2 cards for 3 monitors)
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    8g memory
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb (boot drive)
    Crucial 250gb SSD (CT250BX100SSD1)
    Western Digital WD Blue HD 1tb (WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0)

Antivirus (Microsoft Defender)

Anybody else experiencing this after that Creator update?

Help wb appreciated.

:)

riqrat, Jul 12, 2017

2. Slow response since installing Windows 10

I have a Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop with a i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz and 8.00 GB of memory. The operating system is a 64-bit. The computer is connected to the Internet through an Ethernet cable. I am not a power user. I play no games and run no complex software.

Ever since I installed Windows 10 in January, I have experienced significantly slower response when using the Internet. It will almost come to a stop at times. When I look at the Task Manager when it almost stops, the memory usage is at 80%. When it is
    just very slow, the memory usage is in the 50% range.

According to information on this computer, 8.00 GB of memory is the most it can support. Short of buying a new more powerful computer, is there anything I can do to increase Internet speed?

I have been online with Microsoft to solve a few installation issues I had back in January. I have performed several operations that were suggested to clean up my computer. I run Norton on a regular basis. Nothing seems to make much difference in performance.

Thanks for any assistance. --Robert

Robert Sharer, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Slow response since installing Windows 10

Robert

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode. If the report is in a
    language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Jul 12, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

5) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

6) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

7) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use. Are the boots faster or slower? Are the shutdowns faster or slower? How is video and audio performance? How is the overall performance? Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community

zbook, Jul 12, 2017
  5. riqrat Win User
    Thanks zbook for responding.

Following is all the stuff I copied to be pasted into this thread as asked.

Note: Before the last update I had "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Administrator)" when I right-clicked the start icon. Now I have "Windows PowerShell" in its place. Is this a phase-out?

Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)sfc /scannow didn't find any errors.Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.15063.0Image Version: 10.0.15063.0[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is Main.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 609024 file records processed.File verification completed. 11784 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 699610 index entries processed.Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 45294 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 33738624 USN bytes processed.Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 487820287 KB total disk space. 73086228 KB in 317349 files. 179760 KB in 45295 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 738479 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 413815820 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 121955071 total allocation units on disk. 103453955 allocation units available on disk.

Note: The last time I changed msconfig to do selective startup some months ago, my system would not boot up. It was a bear for me to get it working again. I fear it might be the disabling of the Samsung Magician that came with my SSD boot drive. So for safety reasons, I left that one enabled. Just not up to speed on how windows 'sees' the SSD drive as opposed to a regular HD. I'm old school and not up to snuff on the latest tech.

PERFORMANCE REPORT:

The system appears to be very responsive now, with the exception of the Mozilla Thunderbird email app. So within it I disabled all the Add-ons and when it started to be more responsive also, enabled one-by-one and found the culprit there. That add-on did not like the Windows Update one bit! It worked just fine up until the update. FYI, it is the Cloudmark DesktopOne spam trap add-on for Thunderbird. I'll worry about that later. However, even with the addons all disabled, the program has a long delay before starting, giving the impression isn't going to.

While most programs appear to be snappier on startup and use, some aren't working right. One app for example can no longer access the server, and I've made sure to go into firewall to give access. Guess I'm going to try reinstalls and see what happens.

Anyway, your suggestions has me in a better place. I'll continue to monitor performance as suggested.

Thanks!

riqrat, Jul 12, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    That was some progress in identifying the misbehaving applications.
    For the power shell versus command prompt the default setting is now power shell but that is easily changed in the preference menu.

Settings > taskbar > there is a sliding option to choose whether to replace one with the other in the menu when you right click on the start button or press win + x keys

zbook, Jul 12, 2017
  7. riqrat Win User
    Yes, the system appears to be zipping along again just like the good ol' days. Thanks for reminding me of the default troubleshooting approach of starting up minimal and then isolate down. My brain ain't what it used to be. :-b

Thanks for pointing out the slider for command prompt. Guess the update took liberties to make changes to my previous settings as I didn't choose Powershell. I might just leave powershell there.

riqrat, Jul 12, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Jul 13, 2017
  9. riqrat Win User
    riqrat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Really Slow Response Since Updating - Similar Threads - Really Slow Response

2. Slow response of mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow response of mouse: Have brand new computer with Windows 10 worked super first few months. Now the mouse takes forever to move around screen. The wheel just spins and spins before finally moving to where I want the mouse. I've run CCleaner and Avast but nothing found. Thanks for your help....
  3. Slow response of mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow response of mouse: Have brand new computer with Windows 10 worked super first few months. Now the mouse takes forever to move around screen. The wheel just spins and spins before finally moving to where I want the mouse. I've run CCleaner and Avast but nothing found. Thanks for your help....
  4. System Slow Response

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Slow Response: I have an i38th gen year old laptop with 4GB RAM, W10 & MS365both original, licensed. Whenever i try to open Chrome or Edge, the first response is "Chome/Edge is not responding". It takes agonizingly long time to open and same is the case with closing, it takes long time to...
  5. Slow PC response

Slow PC response: Lately Microsoft Edge, Windows Explorer, and Outlook turn on very slowly when I click on them. Edge and Explorer take 2 minutes to turn on, and Outlook 1 minute to turn on. Why? Never had this issue before....
  6. slow opening response

slow opening response: Iv downloaded MS flight sim 2020 and upon opening it when I get to the "checking for updates" the program lags then stops. I did a speed test on my wi fi set up and the results are as follows Ping 1Ms Download 33.26 Mps upload is 7.83 Mps could anyone help me with this...
  7. Slow response

Slow response: My keyboard giving me a very slow response on typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-response/1a3f12a0-1adb-4de8-884d-0e0476213f70
  8. SLOW RESPONSE

in Windows 10 Customization
    SLOW RESPONSE: My PC has been slowing down for a while now, I can open a browser and wait for minutes for it to load the same applies to other applications AND I HAVE THE UPDATED WINDOWS 10. I have done disk cleanups, changed advanced settings but still nothing can I be helped?...
  9. slow response to websites

slow response to websites: very slow response to click on websites https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-response-to-websites/4616451f-328d-43ae-bb0f-878be17fda4e
  10. Slow Response Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Response Time: Entering into the game works prefect; however once selections are made and the game begins, response time is impossible. Clicking onto a number called, or the thermostat climbing and clicking onto it is the problem. Is there a solution to this issue?...