Windows 10: Really Tough Question!

Discus and support Really Tough Question! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife and I are Americans happily retired in Mexico. We upgraded three single language (Spanish) laptops to Windows 10 from 8.1 with no problems. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Really Tough Question!

My wife and I are Americans happily retired in Mexico. We upgraded three single language (Spanish) laptops to Windows 10 from 8.1 with no problems. I got into PowerShell but it rejects sfc /scannow. I need the Spanish equivalent, and I can't find it on the web.

Any brilliant suggestions?

:)

Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Really tough DNS hijacker

In Uninstall Programs (Control Panel), is there a program called
    DNS Unlocker?

aakkam22, Apr 6, 2016
  3. J Thom123 Win User
    Really tough DNS hijacker

Nope, no suspicious/unknown programs at all in fact. Nor is there a program files folder, ProgramData folder, or registry entry for DNSUnlocker. Which is really annoying.

J Thom123, Apr 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Really Tough Question!

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Go to Task Manager--File--Run New Task and type powershell into the box. Also check the box giving you Administrator Privileges and hit Enter. When PowerShell opens, type sfc /scannow into the command line. It takes about an hour and a half, but it fixed my Start Button.

Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    So, then what is the issue?

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2016
  7. That may be what makes this a really tough question.

DeaconFrost, Apr 6, 2016
  8. Really Tough Question!

The issue is that I can get into PowerShell on a Spanish computer. But it rejects sfc /scannow. I need the Spanish equivalent, which I cannot find on the web.

Vince Massi, Apr 6, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Really Tough Question! [​IMG]

Hi, as said above, if you open a command prompt window sfc is recognised. That's the most common way I guess.
    To run it, it must be an elevated (admin) command prompt.

So (e..g.)
    Press windows key + W, click 'command prompt (admin)' and in that window type at the prompt

sfc /scannow <Return>

Also an admin powershell window works:

Really Tough Question! [​IMG]

If you don't see the equivalent on your PC, could you perhaps post a screenshot to show what's going on? Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  10. I think "big guess" the issue is, he needs the Spanish spelling for sfc/scannow? But, does it actually work that way?

alphanumeric, Apr 7, 2016
  11. Got it! For reasons I don't understand, when you get to the box where you type powershell (in an English version), you have to type sfc /scannow.

It is running now.

Thank you for all your help.

Vince Massi, Apr 7, 2016
  12. Really Tough Question!

Because that's the run box, where you issue a command. You have been trying to run this in PowerShell, when you really just needed to get to the command prompt, which would have been cmd. the sfc /SCANNOW command is not a PowerShell command. PowerShell shouldn't be in the same conversation and is totally unrelated.

DeaconFrost, Apr 7, 2016
  13. Thank you, Deacon. After solving the problem, I finally got into PowerShell on one of my Spanish laptops. I found that the problem was that I hadn't been able to give myself Administrator Privilege, because it is done differently in the Spanish language version of Win 10. I then successfully ran sfc /scannow in PowerShell on that computer.

PowerShell offers an option if scannow cannot fix a corrupted file. That option may or may not be available in the Run Box.

PowerShell is designed for programmers, developers, and IT administrators, but it does have a few functions for regular users. It comes installed in the "Restricted" mode, so that you cannot execute commands that will harm your computer. (I know how to turn off Restricted mopde, but I haven't.) Being able to carry out "Run" commands is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Either way, I got my Start Button working again with PowerShell, so I'm happy with it.

Vince Massi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Really Tough Question!

1. Really Tough Question! - Similar Threads - Really Tough Question

2. A sudden and tough error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A sudden and tough error.: My Windows 10 laptop Asus has gotten an error for the log file file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfile\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. Continuing simply brings me back to the error screen, and entering my password tells me that it is incorrect, even though I've carefully typed each character,...
  3. A sudden and tough error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A sudden and tough error.: My Windows 10 laptop Asus has gotten an error for the log file file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfile\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. Continuing simply brings me back to the error screen, and entering my password tells me that it is incorrect, even though I've carefully typed each character,...
  4. A sudden and tough error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I don't really have a question, but..,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't really have a question, but..,: I've been waiting for a bit to upgrade to Windows 11 to see if there are any bugs to fix. Looking for any feedback from the community. Thank you,Allison https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-really-have-a-question-but/bc2346e8-890f-464b-ba24-069507159c1f
  6. I don't really have a question, but..,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't really have a question, but..,: I've been waiting for a bit to upgrade to Windows 11 to see if there are any bugs to fix. Looking for any feedback from the community. Thank you,Allison https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-really-have-a-question-but/bc2346e8-890f-464b-ba24-069507159c1f
  7. Really dumb, username question...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Really dumb, username question...: Just did a fresh wipe on a laptop... Let's say the users microsoft account is "Frederick Uppington".... I don't recall the installer ever asking me but now the /users/frederi/ ...which is just kind of annoying, like it auto truncated or something. Is there anyway to fix...
  8. Having a tough time switching to windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having a tough time switching to windows: Jesus it has been hard. I previously had Ubuntu on my ssd and am trying to change it to windows. Apparently the install.wim file is too big in the latest version of windows for Mac so I downloaded the 1903 iso. I got the windows screen to come and I click on my ssd for it to...
  9. I'm not really asking a question...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm not really asking a question...: Until recently, I thought Microsoft was fantastic. I never had any problems with the Operating Systems, or software, and customer service was always willing to help no matter what the problem. Things have changed so drastically that I can't even use Windows anymore without...
  10. Gray Lettering Tough on the Eyes

in Windows 10 Support
    Gray Lettering Tough on the Eyes: So many areas have gray lettering instead of black, very annoying to read. Is there a way to "fix" things so stories, etc., are in black letters? How stupid, why on earth do the ones responsible do it like that? I guess they think different contrast is cool looking? I just...