Windows 10: Really want to upgrade but I paid $100 extra for media Center

Discus and support Really want to upgrade but I paid $100 extra for media Center in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I paid extra about a year ago for Windows Media Center add on for my new computer. I've used MCE since it 1st came out a hundred yrs ago and am 100%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CiarraiBleu, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Really want to upgrade but I paid $100 extra for media Center

I paid extra about a year ago for Windows Media Center add on for my new computer. I've used MCE since it 1st came out a hundred yrs ago and am 100% happy with it. But I use Win 10 at work and really like it, and would love to upgrade at home but MCE is not supported. I like taping my programs off cable just as much as I want to upgrade so I am irritated that I can't have both!
    I've tried a couple of other media programs, can't remember their names though, but I just don't understand how to get them to work, and besides, none have the look and feel and performance of Media Center.
    Eventually I will be forced to dump it, but please please tell me there is something good to replace it with and you don't have to be a computer science major to install it and get it to work properly!*Mad

:)

CiarraiBleu, Apr 4, 2016

2. Windows Media Center on Windows 10

HOW do I cancel my reservation? I want Windows Media Center, and I don't want to upgrade because I won't be able to use it (I paid extra for it). I asked on another thread, and I went around and around without an answer.

RJHerrmann, Apr 4, 2016
  3. windows 8.1 pro with media center....going... going...gone... on windows10

4 years ago I had a laptop with windows7 , then I bought a new laptop and I bought an upgrade to windows 8.1pro with media center , last year I upgraded to a desktop and I paid 3 times the price to upgrade to windows 8.1 pro with media center .now I
    see that MICROSOFT are not playing fair with the windows users who have WINDOWS 8.1PRO WITH MEDIA CENTER . I will take WINDOWS 10 if MICROSOFT will give me back the 100s of EUROS that I have paid them for all the upgrades to WINDOWS 8.1PRO WITH MEDIA CENTER
    over the past 2 years .

applewindows, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Phone Man Win User

Really want to upgrade but I paid $100 extra for media Center

Give KODI a try on your current system. If you like it, it runs on W10. And its free and open source.

About Kodi

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 4, 2016
  5. I am ok loading a program like that but I can not understand the GUI interface. I may have tried Kodi before, I definately tried Media Portal and never could get live tv to show up, let alone know how to get it to record. I can follow instructions with the best of them, but they take it for granted that I even know what GUI means let alone 30 different acronyms

CiarraiBleu, Apr 4, 2016
  6. Meatball Win User
    stay with 7 if WMC works for you and don't feel like learning Kodi. It's a great program. You can install WMC on win 10 as well, the only caveat is you'll have to stay up to date with the updates (it's not a huge deal). But if it's your entertainment center at home and works for you, there's no reason to mess with what isn't broken.
    NextPVR is supposed to be good too (can't speak for it first hand).

Meatball, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Thanks, I do feel at this point like staying with 8.1, but I'm intrigued at your comment about WMC working with 10. Do you know that for sure? i never thought about buying the program and installing it after upgrading to 10

CiarraiBleu, Apr 26, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

As I recall WMC was offered free for Win8.1 for a short time and I got it. I believe it is still on the Win10 Upgrade on that computer [out of service until CPU fan arrives Friday] and will check later. Interesting link:
    Here is how to install Media Center on Windows 10 | Windows Central
    I think I will try it on my Win10 Insider Preview computer but not on my production machines.

Berton, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Meatball Win User
    I did install it with 10 and it works. It's very cool someone was able to code it for 10. That said, you'll be looking at the occasional tweak, update etc. It seems like you aren't in for tinkering (totally understandable), stick with 8 and WMC as you like it.
    You aren't missing anything in 10 in terms of an HTPC.

Meatball, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Really want to upgrade but I paid $100 extra for media Center - Similar Threads - Really upgrade paid

2. Paid $100 to upgrade Windows 11 to 'Pro' - now activation is 'Blocked'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paid $100 to upgrade Windows 11 to 'Pro' - now activation is 'Blocked': Yes - I opened a support ticket on October 31st - and so far nobody from Microsoft has responded!#1030659683Opening the store, I get 'Code 0x8000FFFF' and 'We're not sure how you got here, but you can't buy this version of Windows'. My credit card sure got charged...
  3. Paid $100 to upgrade Windows 11 to 'Pro' - now activation is 'Blocked'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paid $100 to upgrade Windows 11 to 'Pro' - now activation is 'Blocked': Yes - I opened a support ticket on October 31st - and so far nobody from Microsoft has responded!#1030659683Opening the store, I get 'Code 0x8000FFFF' and 'We're not sure how you got here, but you can't buy this version of Windows'. My credit card sure got charged...
  4. Media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media center: Hi, upgraded my computer to window 10 pro but no longer able to get media center, used to play a slideshow of my best photo,s whilst listing to my music. can anyone recommend a replacement for this task. thank you regards...
  5. Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center: I have MS 8.1 Media Center with thousands of dollars of purchased software installed on it. Due to a fire in our office I have lost all the original installation CD's for that software. Question is, I'm ready to move to Windows 10 and Office 2019. Can I upgrade to...
  6. I just want to use the thing I paid for, is that really so much to ask

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just want to use the thing I paid for, is that really so much to ask: I usually use Linux, but I wanted to play some Forza, so I reinstalled Windows. I have a valid key, but I've changed motherboards since I last used it. Went through the install process, selected my 500gb SSD, and let it finish up. Activated, cool. However at some point it...
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?: I have been attempting to do an in place upgrade of windows 7 professional to windows 10 for the last few weeks and can't get it to work. I used the windows media creation tool to download windows 10 to an ISO file on the computer which I then extracted. I run setup and it...
  8. Roku and media center

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Roku and media center: I would like to be able to access media center through roku https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roku-and-media-center/b88851f0-56ef-41de-8ee8-015a756ab6b5
  9. Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?

Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?: Can someone confirm if this is true? I was told that if you upgrade to 10 from 8.1 that has WMC, that the program will still be there. It apparently is only lost if you do a clean install. Is that true? The main reason I havent upgraded to 10 is bc I thought it meant losing...
  10. Windows Media Center

Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963