Windows 10: Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings

Discus and support Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro v.1607 build 14393.447 on an Asus Z170-A motherboard with Realtek HD Audio ALC892. I have speakers connected to the rear of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Timobkg, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Timobkg Win User

Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings

I'm running Windows 10 Pro v.1607 build 14393.447 on an Asus Z170-A motherboard with Realtek HD Audio ALC892. I have speakers connected to the rear of the motherboard, and headphones via the front panel port.

A few weeks ago, the Realtek HD Audio Manager started behaving oddly. When I would plug in my Headphones, it wouldn't detect them, and would continue playing through the Speakers. Restarting seemed to fix that, but introduced a new issue.

Previously, when I would plug in my Headphones it would recognize them and switch to the Headphone settings and volume setting. It stopped doing that, and continued to display 5.1 Speakers in the Speaker Configuration and use the Speaker volume control. I keep my Speaker volume set to 50%, and my Headphone volume to 8%, but now it was always on the Speaker volume setting.

I tried updating to the latest ASUS driver, no difference. It would recognize the headphones when plugged in, but would stay on the Speaker settings and volume.

I uninstalled the driver, and Windows automatically replaced it with the default Microsoft driver, and it started working normally again. As soon as I plugged in my headphones it would switch the Playback device to Headphones and the headphone volume. Unplug, and it went back to Speakers and the speaker volume. Fine, I can live without the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Yesterday I see that the volume icon on the Taskbar has a red X through it, and I have no sound. Clicking on it, Windows tries to correct the problem and tells me that I should restart. I restart, and sound is back, but it no longer switches to the Headphone setting when I plug in my headphones. It switches the output from the rear to the front panel, but it stays on the Speaker setting and volume.

I try uninstalling the driver and installing the Realtek driver from their website. I install the driver I had downloaded a few weeks ago (I don't know what version since it's all listed as 2.80 on the site). It installed the Realtek HD Audio Manager, but no longer switches to the Headphone setting when I plug my headphones in.

I downloaded the most recent Realtek driver, 6.0.1.8004, and installed that. That replaced the Realtek HD Audio Manager with the ASUS branded Realtek HD Audio Manager, but still doesn't switch to Headphone settings.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to fix this. I want it to go back to working how it used to, where I would plug in my headphones and it would switch to Headphone settings and the corresponding volume.

:)

Timobkg, Dec 6, 2016

2. Realtek Audio

I am using bluetooth speakers on my Asus laptop which are being recognized as headphones. I am wanting to use Realtek HD Audio Manager to eq the volume. I have tried to set them as the default device. however when I open Realtek manager it switches back
    to my laptop speakers.How can I get Realtek Audio manager to recognize the Bluetooth speakers without them being plugged in the headphone jack?

JeremyDavisstl87, Dec 6, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Realtek HD audio speakers "Not plugged in"

If your case has two front panel audio connection options, did you use the
    HD audio
    motherboard connector ?

AC97 is 'legacy' and may not work on some current motherboards.

( There may also be an option to switch between HD and AC97 in the Realtek audio manager, or BIOS

when using an HD audio connector. If your Realtek audio manager has this option, play around with

this for different results with the other settings that control front and back panels )

- Do either speaker or headphone show in Device Manager, Control Panel > Sound,

and the Realtek audio manager ?

'I have like 2 headphones plugged in and two front speakers '

- Start out with either speakers, or a headphone until you get the audio going.

Use the rear outputs for the speakers, and front for headphones.

I would be inclined to try and get the rear speaker output going first because it is connected

directly to the motherboard.

BossDweeb, Dec 6, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

I would suspect the HD Audio connector from the front panel headphone/mic jack assembly. With the Realtek drivers and using the "HD Audio" connector for the front panel, it is supposed to auto detect and switch. With the generic, basic function, HD Audio drivers some of the auto detection is not there. Many cases have both a "HD Audio" and an "AC97" connector for the front panel headphone/mic assembly. If you are using AC97, switch to HD Audio (Preferred). If you are using HD Audio and have the AC97, switch to AC97 and see how it acts.

FWIW, I just built a new system with an ASUS ROG Z170 motherboard and an i7 6700K.

fireberd, Dec 7, 2016
  5. Timobkg Win User
    My case, Antec P280, has an HD Audio front panel, and the motherboard is configured for HD Audio.

It still detects when I plug headphones in, and I get the Realtek popup asking me to confirm that I plugged headphones in and whether to use the Auto, IEM, or Full Size headphone setting. But then it stays on 5.1 Speakers in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, and in the Windows device settings.

If I plug headphones in via the front, the Realtek Audio Manager detects the headphones and mutes the rear jacks, but stays on 5.1 Speaker setting. Clicking on the pictures of the 5.1 speakers causes every speaker except the sub to play via the headphones.

If I plug the headphones in the back, in place of my front speakers, and click on the output jack to switch it to Headphones within the Realtek Audio Manager, it still stays on 5.1 Speaker setting and only the front speakers play via headphones.

It used to work fine, and I haven't made any hardware changes in the last few weeks.

Could it be that the recent drivers have disabled the separate Headphone setting entirely, and it's now always whatever Speaker setting you specify?

Timobkg, Dec 7, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    If you have it set for 5.1 and plug a headset into the front speaker jack it is still going to be on 5.1. That is not a valid test.

I can't test 5.1 on my new ASUS Z170 motherboard as I only have a 2.1 speaker system.

For testing, set the speaker system to "Stereo" and then see how the front panel headset works.

fireberd, Dec 7, 2016
  7. Timobkg Win User
    If I set it to Stereo, it stays on Stereo when I plug in my headphones via the front panel. The only thing that changes is that I get hissing from my front speakers when the headphones are unplugged (which isn't there when 5.1 is enabled.)

What happens on your computer when you plug in the headphones? Does the Realtek Audio Manager switch to Headphone settings and volume, or does it stay on Stereo?

Timobkg, Dec 7, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

I'll check what happens with headphones. I don't normally use headphones with the PC audio. I have a home recording studio and most of my audio applications are with my recording studio interface (MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid), not the PC's.

fireberd, Dec 8, 2016
  9. fireberd Win User
    I plugged in a headset to test my ASUS Z170 ROG Maximus VIII Hero motherboard.
    The first screen that popped up asked if plugged in headset or speaker to the front jack
    The second screen checked and set the headphone impedance and level.
    The third screen just shows configuration with headset plugged in.

Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings [​IMG]

fireberd, Dec 8, 2016
  10. Timobkg Win User
    Thanks. Your Audio Manager looks slightly different and more advanced than mine, but it looks like they're doing the same thing.

Could you check a couple more things for me:

If you set the Speaker Configuration to something like 5.1, and then plug in your headphones, will the Speaker Configuration stay on 5.1?
    If you set one volume with the speakers connected, and set a different volume when you plug in the headphones, will it switch between those volume settings when you plug / unplug the headphones?

Thanks.

Timobkg, Dec 9, 2016
  11. fireberd Win User
    I set the speakers to 5.1. Plugged in headset and got the same screens as I did before for #1 and #2. However, screen #1 showed the speakers set to 5.1 BUT screen # 2 showed speaker system as "Stereo" with the headset plugged in. When I unplugged the headset it went back to 5.1.

I had the volume set to "63". After plugging in the headset I set the volume to "85". When I unplugged the headset the volume stayed at "85" it didn't return to "63".

fireberd, Dec 9, 2016
  12. Timobkg Win User
    Okay, so to confirm that I've got it right, yours is switching from 5.1 to Stereo when you insert the headphones, but the volume setting is the same across both. Mine is staying on 5.1 and the volume setting is the same across both.

What's your driver version (Cog -> About)?

Timobkg, Dec 9, 2016
  13. fireberd Win User

Correct, it switches with headphones are plugged in, but the volume does not change.

Here is my drivers.

fireberd, Dec 9, 2016
  14. Timobkg Win User
    Thanks.

If you right-click on the Taskbar speaker icon and select Playback devices, do you have separate listings for Speakers and Headphones, or just one for Headphones?

Timobkg, Dec 9, 2016
  15. Saltgrass Win User
    Newer systems are trying to take advantage of the Electronic switching available. You should get a popup window asking you to identify what was plugged in. In this manner the system can preconfigure the device as to whether it might be a headset (communications) or headphone (music). It can also set individual preferences for such things as equalizer settings.

You may think it is a pain now but hopefully your will get used to it. Much of this is probably manufacturers trying to limit the number of in or out port types.

Saltgrass, Dec 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings - Similar Threads - Realtek Audio switching

2. Headphone Problems with Realtek HD Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone Problems with Realtek HD Audio: Ever since I've upgraded to windows 11, I've had problems with my headphones. Also to note, I've never used headphones that connect using a jack with my pc. I just upgraded to the Arctis Nova 1 and they work great on my mac. I plugged them into my pc and its stuck on mono...
  3. Headphone Problems with Realtek HD Audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone Problems with Realtek HD Audio: Ever since I've upgraded to windows 11, I've had problems with my headphones. Also to note, I've never used headphones that connect using a jack with my pc. I just upgraded to the Arctis Nova 1 and they work great on my mac. I plugged them into my pc and its stuck on mono...
  4. Realtek HD audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek HD audio: I just bought a new pc this christmas and plugged my hyper x cloud alphas with the splitter into the pc, after working past all the buggy issues and such and I tried playing the game Modern Warfare warzone, as of playing it I realized that I was only getting sound that was in...
  5. Realtek HD Audio Manager with Bluetooth headphones problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek HD Audio Manager with Bluetooth headphones problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/tulloch100 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eabrmj/realtek_hd_audio_manager_with_bluetooth/
  6. Headphone mic not detected by realtek HD audio

Headphone mic not detected by realtek HD audio: Okay, so I've been working on this for roughly two hours, searching google as well as looking through the various settings, and I can't seem to find the problem. A few weeks ago, everything worked perfectly, clean and crisp sounds, the works. But today I decided to login and...
  7. Realtek HD Audio

Realtek HD Audio: My computer was working great until the Windows 10 update last week. Now the Realtek HD Audio and Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 drivers are not working. I have tried all of the manual updates and troubleshooting to no avail. I have done a lot of research and this seems to be a...
  8. Realtek HD Audio Manager, no advanced settings

Realtek HD Audio Manager, no advanced settings: Hi! I have no advanced settings in the manager. So I cannot separate my headphones from my speakers. I did uninstall Realtek drivers completely and could separate headphones and speakers in playback devices but reinstalling Realtek just removes headphones from playback...
  9. Realtek HD Audio problems through Headphone jack

Realtek HD Audio problems through Headphone jack: Hi guys, I've signed up here to try and get some help with this issue in particular. After having a quick Google around I've seen that it is a fairly common issue for headphones or earphones to sound tinny on Windows 10 with Realtek HD Audio. However, the only fixes that I...
  10. Realtek HD audio indentifies headphones as speakers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Realtek HD audio indentifies headphones as speakers.: Realtek HD Changing Jack output reassignments ( FIX ) - Windows 7 Help Forums I found this old thread but I couldn't get any help from it because my regedit index doesn't look the same as theirs. I don't have a "DevType_0888_SS147b1083" or "DevType_0885_SS18490890"...