Windows 10: Reboot and Select proper Boot device after Anniversary Update

Discus and support Reboot and Select proper Boot device after Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, yesterday I've shut down my PC, telling him to install the update. This morning the PC was on, not responding to any key press, nothing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loplo, Aug 2, 2016.

1. loplo Win User

Reboot and Select proper Boot device after Anniversary Update

Hey guys,
    yesterday I've shut down my PC, telling him to install the update.
    This morning the PC was on, not responding to any key press, nothing. Pressed reset, and now I'm being greeted with "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Tried booting from media (USB), but I'm unable to repair the system.
    If I open command prompt, I'm able to see partitions, files, etc. It looks like everything is intact.

Is there a way to fix my boot record?
    Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

:)

loplo, Aug 2, 2016

2. Reboot and select proper boot device PROBLEM

Are you entering BIOS setup to check BIOS Boot Priority order? Key to Press to Access BIOS
    for Various OEM and Computer Systems

Do you see the hard drive there which should be set first to boot (or Windows Boot Manager if you have UEFI BIOS)? It will usually be listed as its model or serial number you can google. If it's not there then it could have failed. Check the cables to
    see if you can get it detected again.

There's a chance the SATA controller settings was changed by an Update to AHCI. Try changing it to SATA to test boot. If not change it back. If you have UEFI settings for anything UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS or Secure Boot, report back those settings.

If you confirm the proper device above is set to boot first, then work through the steps for

Troubleshooting Windows 8 and 10 Failure to Start - Microsoft Community.

You will need to
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    on another PC, insert it, power up while pressing the

BIOS Boot Menu Key
    , choose the UEFI version of flash stick or DVD drive if offered, browse to second screen to choose Repair Your Computer link, in Advanced Troubleshoot options try Startup Repair, System Restore, Startup Settings to try to get into Safe
    Mode with Networking. If these fail go back to Troubleshooting options to
    Reset Your Windows 10 PC

There are other things to try in the Troubleshooting link but if those options fail then I'd cut my losses and do the vastly superior

Clean Install Windows 10
    which is the best install of Windows one can have and has been used by tens of thousands of consumers without a single complaint.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Damago. Win User
    Reboot and select proper boot device PROBLEM

Hi.

I have this message popping up everytime i try to turn on my laptop, ive seen lots of tutorials on how to solve this problem, but none of them matched with my case. When i go to BIOS menu i only have one boot option ( and i dont really know how to make or
    add another one ) so when i select my device and exit it just comes back to the same message. "Reboot and select proper boot device".

Damago., Aug 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Something got hosed up with the update. If you have a image from your previous install before installing the Anniversary, you are going to have to clone that image back to the Hard drive. Otherwise you will need the DVD with Windows 10 Anniversary on it to repair your install.

You most likely ended up with two copies of Windows is why you are getting that selection menu.

bro67, Aug 2, 2016
  5. loplo Win User
    diskpart shows me the following:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device after Anniversary Update [​IMG]

Where can I get an image of the Anniversary version? I'm using the anniversary version right now.
    It looks that the good old time with "fixmbr" are gone.

loplo, Aug 2, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Yes there are a lot of features that they removed, because they are moving away from the older platform that they have been using for NT to handle Backend stuff. You are going to have to follow what I posted above to fix it.

bro67, Aug 2, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Windows was installed using GPT disk type. fixmbr only works with MBR disk type, if you used it then you might have messed it up.
    From diskpart, please type:
    select disk 0, list par
    to display the partition layout of disk 0 and post it.

topgundcp, Aug 2, 2016
  8. loplo Win User

I can't find the media with the previous windows version.
    I'm burning a DVD right now, with the anniversary version. Until now, I was booting from a USB stick.

loplo, Aug 2, 2016
  9. loplo Win User
    loplo, Aug 2, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    From the screen shot. The System partition which holds the boot code (BCD) to boot Windows was missing.
    Did you use fixmbr command trying to fix it earlier ?
    A normal GPT disk with Windows is shown bebow:

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Aug 3, 2016
  12. loplo Win User
    It won't find my windows, although I can see it under disk image.

loplo, Aug 3, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

OK, I guess it looks for the System partition to rebuild the boot file but was missing. In addition, I noticed that your disks were both almost full. Also, your C drive is on the HD drive.

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2016
  14. loplo Win User
    You're right, both of them were pretty full. I just finished moving my data form my SSD to my NAS (used Ubuntu live CD), and I'll start installing windows from scratch.

Thanks for your time!

loplo, Aug 3, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    For Screenshots, you need to not use your phone. You need to use the proper method on the computer to take a screenshot. At the angle you are taking them and how the camera takes them, it makes it hard to see what you are looking at.

If you are going to make an image, do not use the live DVD, use Clonezilla. Also make sure in your Bios that all hardware shows and that USB Legacy devices is enabled, or Clonezilla will not boot up on a USB stick.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reboot and Select proper Boot device after Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Reboot Select proper

2. reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reboot and select proper boot device: I have a desktop computer that I put a new hard drive in, I can go to the bios menu and the new hard drive is supported. But still boots up with reboot and select proper boot device...
  3. reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reboot and select proper boot device: I have a desktop computer that I put a new hard drive in, I can go to the bios menu and the new hard drive is supported. But still boots up with reboot and select proper boot device...
  4. Reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device: I was dual booted windows 10 with parrot os . And I wanted to remove parrot os from my laptop .. so i have deleted the partition and removed clearly . After the restart of my laptop it shows "Reboot and select proper boot device " After tht i have changed the settings in bio...
  5. Reboot and select proper boot device??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  6. Reboot and select proper boot device??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  7. "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device": "...or Insert Boot Media inspected Boot device and press a key" This is what I see when I try to boot up my PC. Everything has been working great. This morning shortly after boot up I was searching the web and had started a download for a game off the EpicGamesStore when...
  8. reboot and select proper boot device

reboot and select proper boot device: Hey, so my friend owns some religious center with a bunch of PCs in a room. They called me to fix them and install Windows 10, as they had a 32-bit OEM Windows 7 Home Basic full of your typical non tech-savvy pups in every corner. We didn’t have a flash drive or any other...
  9. “reboot and select proper boot device“

“reboot and select proper boot device“: I got a new gaming computer recently which has worked great until somehow overnight nothing works now. I get the message above when I try booting up my PC and have looked up ways to fix this issue. When I enter the bios menu my boot up device is there but when I click it the...
  10. Reboot and select proper boot device

Reboot and select proper boot device: I just reset my pc, deleted all the files and everything. My pc is now saying “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.” My computer has a 1tb hard drive and another labeled windows (C:). What do I do to fix this?...