Windows 10: Reboot loop at the beginning of fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD

Discus and support Reboot loop at the beginning of fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to do a fresh instal Windows 10 on a new SSD on my desktop, but no joy. Setup displays the windows logo, but when that circle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Queenland, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Queenland Win User

Reboot loop at the beginning of fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD

Hello,

I am trying to do a fresh instal Windows 10 on a new SSD on my desktop, but no joy.
    Setup displays the windows logo, but when that circle start spinning, the computer reset/reboots itself.
    I have removed my HDD to do this (only the new SSD and optical drive are connected), and tried 2 windows 10 dvds and one bootable flash drive. Also tried 2 optical drives.
    The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD2P , and I have tried to connect the SSD on the GSATA3 (Marvell) and SATA2 (Intel P55) ports with the same results. Control mode is set to AHCI, but tried IDE too.
    The SSD is a Sandisk Plus, and I checked that it is OK using an USB adaptor to access it on my notebook.
    Tried it unformatted (unallocated space) and also formatted with NTFS.
    Also tried to install windows 8.1 with same result, then I tried windows 7. Windows 7 install until the end, but does not boot. Trying to boot win7 in safety mode with command prompt, it hangs on 'disk.sys'. I know that the next load would be 'vid.sys', so the problem could be my GPU ? Unfortunately my mono does not have onboard graphics, so I can't remove my video card to do a test. Any other ideas?

:)

Queenland, Jan 16, 2017

2. error at beginning of fresh Windows 10 install from USB

If you are using the original retail USB media, it might be the culprit. If you have a spare USB thumb drive, download, create a new bootable copy then try again:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 16, 2017
  3. Chopaka Win User
    error at beginning of fresh Windows 10 install from USB

I'm building a new PC with current Intel motherboard, CPU, and other new parts. I only have the minimum components connected (USB mouse, keyboard, SATA SSD drive, video card). This is a fresh build, not an upgrade.

I'm now trying to install Windows 10 Pro for the first time from a Microsoft USD drive. I set the BIOS to boot from the USB drive. When I get past the BIOS I get the prompt to choose the OS to install, Windows 10 x64 or x32. I choose the x64 option.
    The install begins by copying files, but after the file copy I get the error 0xc0000221, "The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors." The message refers to the NTOSKRNL.exe file.

I've tried the Windows install every possible way with the same results. I've taken the Windows 10 USB drive and plugged it into another working PC and viewed the contents of the USB drive and performed chkdsk on it and all looks good. I've also performed
    a memory check via the Windows tool and it came up clean as well. I've tried other clean formatted SSDs as the PC drive but still can't get the install to begin.

Is the Windows USB drive bad?

Is there something I can check to narrow down the problem?

Chopaka, Jan 16, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Read my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Copy Kyhi's recovery tools boot.wim file over the boot.wim file on the Windows 10 USB installation flash drive. See if the drive will boot into Kyhi's recovery tools and then run setup.exe from the USB flash drive from Windows explorer.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2017
  5. Queenland Win User
    Let me see if I understood.
    I should:

1.Download Kyhi's ISO file;
    2.Extract it to a folder in my HD;
    3.Copy soucers\boot.wim from it to my Win10 bootable flash drive overwritting the respective file;
    4.Boot from my Win10 flash drive;
    5.If it boots into Kyhi's recovery tools, I will have windows explorer, browse back to the flash drive and run setup.exe

That's it? If I understood correctly, I should ignore the rest of Kyhi's ISO file?

Queenland, Jan 16, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. You only have to mount the ISO file, not extract it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2017
  7. Queenland Win User
    But what would be the difference between running setup.exe from Kyhi's environment and directly from the normal win10 setup boot? My current win10 setup media boots, but setup.exe is interrupted when that circle starts spinning... Why it shouldn't be interrupted when being run from Kyhi's environment?

Queenland, Jan 16, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Kyhi's recovery tools installs a lot more device drivers which seems to aid setup in identifying hardware. There have already been a few cases on this forum where Windows setup would not run directly from the installation media, but would run under Kyhi's recovery tools.

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2017
  9. Queenland Win User
    I see. Will try that later, thank you very much.
    Just out of curiosity: I understand that booting to Kyhi's environment with the additional device drivers could increase the probability of properly identifying the SSD.
    But those drivers will be installed on my windows installation ?
    I mean, if I manage to install windows that way, when I boot later from the SSD itself (with windows already installed on it), those additional drivers would still be active?

Queenland, Jan 17, 2017
  10. Queenland Win User
    Just did the test. The flash drive with the overwritten file had the same result (reboot/reset when the circle started spinning). Then I burned the whole Kyhi dvd, which took longer to show the spinning circle, but also rebooted at that point

Queenland, Jan 17, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    What OS did your HDD have installed? Can you clone it to the SSD?

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2017
  12. Queenland Win User
    Windows 7. No, the HDD has 1tb of data, and the SSD is only 120 gb...

Queenland, Jan 18, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, the last step that I can think of is to see if it is a problem booting from USB/DVD or not. Use the USB adapter again to connect the SSD to the notebook. I like using MiniTool Partition Wizard to do custom partitioning:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Since the desktop looks like it is legacy BIOS, you will want to re-initialize the SSD as MBR, deleting all the partitions on it. Create a single, 5 GB primary partition, formatted as FAT32 at the very end of the drive, mark it as the active partition, and assign a drive letter to it. I am going to use W: for Windows. In MiniTool Partition Wizard it should look like my Disk 3 (but yours will be larger). Make sure it is FAT32, Primary, and Active:

Reboot loop at the beginning of fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD [​IMG]

Mount the Windows 10 ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the SSD.

Then you will open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run the following commands - assuming you assigned drive letter W: to the partition on the SSD:

W:
    cd boot
    bootsect /nt60 W: /force /mbr

NOTE: there is a space in front of each "/" above.

Then you should be able to install the SSD in the desktop computer and boot from it into Windows setup and install Windows 10 to the remaining unallocated space. Do not delete the 5 GB FAT32 partition because, unfortunately, that will be where you boot files end up being.

Here is what the Command Prompt (Admin) commands look like in the command prompt window:

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>W: W:\>cd boot W:\boot>bootsect /nt60 W: /force /mbr Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode. W: (\\?\Volume{f07b1dd9-91a6-11e6-8f71-7c5cf84fe038}) Forced dismount complete, open handles to this volume are now invalid. Successfully updated FAT32 filesystem bootcode. \??\PhysicalDrive3 Successfully updated disk bootcode. Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes. W:\boot>Exit[/quote] If that works, that tells you that the problem was the computer booting from the USB flash drive and/or the DVD drive. If it does work, come back and I can tell you how to get the boot files off the 5GB partition so you can delete and reclaim the space for Windows.

NavyLCDR, Jan 18, 2017
  14. Queenland Win User
    Wow, thanks a lot for that guidelines!
    However, before trying that, I must add that:

a) The computer can boot from DVD for sure. During my tests, I have used a couple of linux bootable CDs (including tools like Parted Magic to look at the SSD partitions, etc), and they booted fine (also windows on the HDD was installed from a DVD too). Can't remember booting from USB before, but I think it's OK too.

b) I did a try connecting both the HDD and the SSD simultaneously, with boot priority set to the HDD. The result was that the *HDD* didn't boot. Windows began to load briefly, then rebooted. With only the HDD installed, it boots fine.

Having said that (the system *can* boot from DVD and probably from USB too), do you think that your test still worth a try? I can do it anyway if you're in doubt.

Queenland, Jan 18, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, I don't think it would be worth it to try. It sounds like something if physically wrong - a hardware incompatibility - when the SSD is connected. I don't think you are going to get it to work with that motherboard and that SSD. Do you have the latest, most up to date bios flashed on the motherboard?

NavyLCDR, Jan 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Reboot loop at the beginning of fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD - Similar Threads - Reboot loop beginning

2. Windows reboot loop after adding an SSD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows reboot loop after adding an SSD?: My PC has a 2tb HDD with windows on it. I bought a 2tb m.2 nvme SSD with the intention of cloning the HDD onto the SSD, however, when I installed the SSD into the PC it will boot to the windows login screen then reboot to the automatic repair/recovery screen. The PC boots as...
  3. Reboot Loop after fresh install Windows 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reboot Loop after fresh install Windows 10 pro.: Hi all.I have recently updated HP Pavilion notebook with fresh Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 version German via USB Flash Drive. Windows boots in loop while starting.Please see the screenshot, how the installation...
  4. Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD

Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD: Hey all, I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used...
  5. Fresh install loop

Fresh install loop: Im curently stuck in a fresh install loop. Unplugged all harddrives that im not using and even changed to boot order to the correct drive and it states rebot or select a proper boot device...
  6. Fresh Windows Installation in SSD

Fresh Windows Installation in SSD: Hey, i want to install fresh windows on my SSD..but will it wipe my D driveOther drive than OS drive if i install windows on SSD? I can't backup my data..what will you recommend ? My PC has 1 TB hard disk and I added a new SSD of 256GB . I want to install windows in SSD ..so...
  7. Fresh Install of Windows 10 keeps looping

Fresh Install of Windows 10 keeps looping: I just built a brand new pc and i'm trying to install windows 10 from Microsoft's Windows 10 Home USB to no avail. I must preface this by acknowledging that I am a PC building novice and so i'm going off instructions on the internet. CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: Radeon RX500 XT...
  8. Windows 10 Fresh install stuck on loop.

Windows 10 Fresh install stuck on loop.: I've built a new pc, but cannot install windows 10 on it. I donwloaded the creation tool and installed it on a USB. When i turn the new pc on, and it goes to the installation, it shows a black secreen with the blue windows logo on the upper center, then the loop icon does...
  9. Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD

Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD: I upgraded to Windows 10 couple years ago when MS offered to Windows 7 owner a free upgrade. Now I'm planning to install a SSD to my computer and have the OS boot from it. How do i do a fresh install to my SSD without the disc? Is there somewhere I can download Windows 10...
  10. Fresh Install of Windows 10 to my SSD

Fresh Install of Windows 10 to my SSD: In case I need to do a fresh install of Windows 10, do I need to prepare my SSD in any way, or do I simply got to the Microsoft site and tell it to make a fresh install? Thanks 76425

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reboot loop ssd