Windows 10: Reboot takes 2-5 hours and no login prompt after sleep

Discus and support Reboot takes 2-5 hours and no login prompt after sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, So yesterday I installed some updates on my computer, however when it was rebooting it sat there for about an hour doing nothing. Eventually I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mshires1, Mar 5, 2016.

1. mshires1 Win User

Reboot takes 2-5 hours and no login prompt after sleep

Hello,
    So yesterday I installed some updates on my computer, however when it was rebooting it sat there for about an hour doing nothing. Eventually I force turned it off and tried to reboot it, however it kept doing the same thing. I looked up any fixes I could find, the only thing I saw was to try and boot it in safe made (Ctrl-Alt-Del then holding shift while clicking restart) even that still just sat at the red loading screen with the dots spinning in circles. I force shut it down a few more times and retried it, admittedly a bad idea but I was getting pissed off, until I finally just let it sit there and finish, hoping it would have a time out feature. Well eventually it booted to the login prompt after 4 hours.

New issue is that whenever I close my laptop to put it to sleep, and then reopen it it looks fine but when I swipe away the cool picture, theres no login prompt. It looks just like the screen when you press ctrl alt delete. So I told it to do a regular restart, and upon rebooting it was stuck at the spinning dots on the red screen for 3 more hours before it booted.

How can I fix this? I seriously don't want to take hours to turn on my computer, and not be able to just put it to sleep.

Final info: I understand I can just turn off putting the computer to sleep when I close the lid, and just darken the screen. I've already done that, I'm looking for a more permanent fix.

:)

mshires1, Mar 5, 2016
  2. Kaccija Win User

Hi Dominique!

I have also noticed the same thing that during startup when the computer gets stuck on this infinite login loop it helps to go 1 to 3 times to sleep mode. I posted about it on October 20th 2016 in this thread and since then it has always worked for me and
    helped me to login without rebooting.

I have noticed that sometimes it is not consistent and I can login after going only one time to sleep mode. But like you said most of the time it takes 2 times sleep mode before the login succeeds.

For me it does not prompt for PIN code - I can login with my Microsoft account password. So it seemingly works also with password login. Reboot takes 2-5 hours and no login prompt after sleep :)

Best regards

Kaccija, Mar 5, 2016
  3. wxtry Win User
    Windows 10 login issues after wake up from sleep

After updated the windows 10 anniversary update, these issues constantly appears to my PC:

1. After wake up from sleep, the login screen shows as usual, but no matter I input the correct or incorrect password, it will stuck on the circle spinning status for over 1 minute then go back to the login screen without any prompt or message displayed.
    I also tried to connect to another WiFi access point or disable WiFi to rule out the network reason (I'm using WiFi instead of Ethernet connection). Nothing helps and I have to reboot to fix it.

2. After wake up from sleep, sometimes the login screen will not show, all I got is a black screen with moving cursor. Only reboot can fix it too.

These issues ONLY appears after wake up from sleep, neither reboot nor logout nor lock screen will lead to this issue, and ONLY appears after the anniversary update.

And I'm using Microsoft account to login my PC, hope this information can help.

wxtry, Mar 5, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestions :
    1. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

2. If the above does not fix the problem, do a repair install, also known as in-place install.
    Here is the tutorial :
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  5. mshires1 Win User
    Thank you! running the scan now.

mshires1, Mar 5, 2016
  6. mshires1 Win User
    Scan didn't find any integrity violations. Is the repair install honestly the next best bet?

mshires1, Mar 5, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    In my opinion, yes.
    If you find the tutorial I posted earlier a little intimidating, have a look at the one I use myself, and once a while I also showed it to others in this forum............

Use this Tech Bench link and download the Windows 10 iso file:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  8. mshires1 Win User

Alright, thank you so much for your help! Downloading now, I'm probably gonna run it tonight overnight. I'll post tomorrow morning if it isn't fixed, if it is thank you again!

mshires1, Mar 5, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Good luck.

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Befredri Win User
    I've had the same problem since applying the updates on March 4. I called MS support several times and they said that it is normal for an update to take this long. I have restarted my PC at least 10 times now and it takes 2 hours to boot every time. I have also tried a system restore to the point just before the updates but even that didn't work.

Befredri, Mar 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    ...............I've had the same problem since applying the updates on March 4.............
    Which update was that ?
    If you were referring to the new Insider Preview build 14279, you are on a completely different issue.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reboot takes 2-5 hours and no login prompt after sleep - Similar Threads - Reboot takes hours

2. Lock Screen take an hour to login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen take an hour to login: Ever since i upgrade to windows 11 my pc dosen't show de login form, i have to waite an hour to login, even after the notebook started, if i lock the pc i have wait an hour again, because the form dosen't show up.Any knows how to fix this? I'm desperate...
  3. Lock Screen take an hour to login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen take an hour to login: Ever since i upgrade to windows 11 my pc dosen't show de login form, i have to waite an hour to login, even after the notebook started, if i lock the pc i have wait an hour again, because the form dosen't show up.Any knows how to fix this? I'm desperate...
  4. Windows 10 Pro takes HOURS to login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro takes HOURS to login: I have Windows 10 Pro running on a DELL PowerEdge R510The system has 24TB 8 x 3TB disks on RAID5After a reboot, the login screen shows up, and once the password is entered it takes HOURS... sometimes more than 24 hours stuck in "Welcome..."I can see and hear the disks...
  5. Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours: Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours I usually keep my sleep setting at 'Never' but lately, the setting gets changed to '2 hours' after a reboot. I can't get it to stay at 'Never.' This has been happening since I clean installed in August. Edition: Windows 10 Education...
  6. Windows 10 taking over an hour to load after login

Windows 10 taking over an hour to load after login: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kimgss [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iiuilh/windows_10_taking_over_an_hour_to_load_after_login/
  7. [Help] Windows 10 taking about 1-2 hours to load after reboot or shutdown

[Help] Windows 10 taking about 1-2 hours to load after reboot or shutdown: I have done so much reading on Google but haven't been able to find something that works! I have few PC's at work that takes about 1-2 hours to boot into windows two of them have the HR software on it and I can't afford to format it right now because most of places are...
  8. Windows 10 wakes from sleep after 2 hours

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 wakes from sleep after 2 hours: Whenever I sleep the computer, it wakes after a couple hours, though not at any regular interval and usually at an unusual timestamp such as 12:32.51 (i.e., not at 12:30.00). It is Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, build 18362.388, but all recent builds have had the same problem....
  9. Surface Pro Takes Several Hours to Reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro Takes Several Hours to Reboot: Having an issue with a couple of the latest surface pro systems we recently purchased. These systems are Azure AD joined, once I change the workgroup name to reflect our company workgroup for non AD joined systems it takes the surfaces several hours to reboot. The surface...
  10. Boot up takes 2 hours!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot up takes 2 hours!: Alright so after long hours of research I have narrowed down y problem. Long story short I messed with the permissions of my C:\Windows directory and sure enough it has caused issues. Now my computer when powering on will show a light blue screen with spinning dots for hours...