Windows 10: Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI

Discus and support Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. For some reason after enabling AHCI in my BIOS reboots are wayyyy slower than they used to be on IDE. On the windows loading screen before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bobsagetfullhou, May 10, 2016.

1. Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI

Hi. For some reason after enabling AHCI in my BIOS reboots are wayyyy slower than they used to be on IDE. On the windows loading screen before the login screen, It sits there and loads for almost a minute now. Before it used to be 20 seconds max. When doing a full shut down and turn on it almost instantly logs me in (probably because of fast boot).

Any way to fix this?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, May 10, 2016
  2. Romaneus Win User

AHCI Windows 10 Driver for ASUS X551M w/ toshiba SSD

Try to install Windows 10 in IDE mode. Then change mode to AHCI in Windows, reboot, change IDE to AHCI in bios, drivers should install automatically.

Maybe these will help: Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

Romaneus, May 10, 2016
  3. Is AHCI enabled?

I dont have the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" list. This is what i have (I attached a picture). I also can't find it when
    i check "Show hidden Devices"! By the way FYI my computer is an hp z800 WORKSTATION
    Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI [​IMG]

Shumitra Dutta, May 10, 2016
  4. Slugger Win User

Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI

Slugger, May 10, 2016
  5. I did make all those registry tweaks. If I didn't it wouldn't even let me boot into windows without a BSOD. My issue now is just the extremely long reboot times. I was liberal when I said 1 minute before. Now it seems to be up to 1min 30 seconds for a reboot.

6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    My advice. If you don't have SSD or a server you probably don't need AHCI. But no hurting in testing both.

IDE is more compatible.

eLPuSHeR, May 10, 2016
  7. I do have an SSD. :/ That's why I switched.

8. Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI

Check, if you have the latest driver installed, by default Windows usually installs generic SATA controller driver.

TairikuOkami, May 10, 2016
  9. Unfortunately my motherboard only officially supports up to windows 7. So the ones on the site are way outdated.

10. Slugger Win User
    Maybe make an hard drive image with Macrium Reflect and try a clean install. Or throw an empty hard drive in and try a clean install.

Might be something you have installed.

Try Process Monitor

I had a problem with a slow hard drive and found out it was something I installed. I removed it and no more slow drive.

Slugger, May 10, 2016
  11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Let us know more about your computer. Let us see your System Information file.
    System Information File - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Save, it, dont export. Then zip and upload.

12. bobsagetfullhou, May 11, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Try doing the following:

1. Open a cmd window with elevated privileges (cmd.exe). Type "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy", without quotes to enable booting options with F8 key at startup.
    2. Reboot. Enter BIOS and configure SATA as IDE.
    3. Boot Windows into safe mode by pressing F8 before it loads.
    4. Open Device Manager to check SATA is actually set to IDE mode.
    5. Reboot again. Enter BIOS and set SATA to AHCI mode.
    6. Boot again into safe mode (F8). Enter Device Manager and check that AHCI is enabled (even if it's using standard MS AHCI driver).
    7. Reboot and boot Windows NORMALLY.
    8. If you mainboard uses an Intel chipset, try downloading latest chipset driver from Intel webpage. Install it.
    9. Do not install anything else for now (like Intel Rapid Storage thing). Check first if everything is fine.

eLPuSHeR, May 11, 2016
  14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    You might have posted that file here in the thread as well, no problem is there with it; it does not share any of your personal information (other than the username of the computer).

# Well, with 27 statrup items, boot must be slow. IDE, AHCI, SCSI, nothing have anything to do there. And apparently you dont really need anything there other than DisplayFusion. Clean it up, reboot time should be improved upto a certain level.
    Follow this guide: Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

# You have a great lot of storage. But as you have the SSD, generally it is used as the C drive, and the C drive should come first in the disk order. Apparently the 120 GB Crucial SSD is the C drive there, but it is the fourth one in the disk order.
    Code: Model M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device -------------------------------------------------------------- Partition Disk #4, Partition #0 ===> C Drive Partition Size 118.80 GB (127,561,367,552 bytes) -------------------------------------------------------------- Partition Disk #4, Partition #1 Partition Size 450.00 MB (471,859,200 bytes)[/quote] Please arrange the Disks properly. And tally it with the Boot order set into the BIOS.

# This driver ..... I am not finding any reason for it to be there .....
    Code: Name Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\asstor64.sys (2.0.8.0, 82.83 KB (84,816 bytes), 1/27/2014 5:30 PM)[/quote] The motherboard supports Intel SATA, which is now managed by microsoft AHCI driver Storahci.sys; Gigabyte SATA (RAID Mode, powered by JMicron), now disabled and managed by microsoft driver; and Marvell RAID (apparently not in use). So I am not seeing a reason for ASmedia RAID driver to be there.

Take care of these three things and let us know the result. We may need to dig further, but these three are the first things to look at.

15. Okay, will try those things, but when I go to my controllers right now, it is mentioning both IDE and AHCI. Does that mean some drives are using AHCI and others IDE? I do recall before enabling AHCI in my BIOS AHCI did not show up at all in this list.

Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI [​IMG]

bobsagetfullhou, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Reboots much slower after enabling AHCI - Similar Threads - Reboots much slower

2. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.: I was just using my PC when it suddenly started taking ages to open programs, running games at marginally lower fps than usually. Something else that happened at the same time was that my PC fans which are usually pretty loud became very quiet, but are still running. It...
  3. Computer is much slower when plugged in

Computer is much slower when plugged in: I have a HP laptop with Ryzen 5 8gb of Ram. I have recently been getting a much slower computer when it is plugged in. Its so bad that I can't do Zoom on it. I have tried almost everything on the internet and nothing works. I have used multiple chargers. Im worried that...
  4. PC is much slower when unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC is much slower when unplugged: When I have my PC plugged in, it's running great (I checked in task manager, the clock speed hovers around the high end of 3.xx GHz). However, as soon as I unplug it, performance drops (the CPU speed visibly, immediately drops to around 1 GHz). The PC is still usable when...
  5. Internet speed much slower after windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet speed much slower after windows update: After freshly installing windows, my download speed was around 15-20 mb/s however once I updated it seems to be locked around 5-6. Is there anyway to remove the lock/data limit?...
  6. How to enable AHCI in Windows 10 after Installation

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable AHCI in Windows 10 after Installation: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Current MOBOs (motherboards) will have AHCI enabled in UEFI or BIOS by default. Some older motherboards may have IDE enabled by default instead. If you want to install Windows using AHCI instead of IDE, then you’ll need to have AHCI [...] This post How to...
  7. Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation: I am running Windows 10, trying to get my SSD switched to AHCI from IDE after I have already installed windows on it. I currently have it connected to SATA port 6. I have several other regular hard drives on SATA0-4. [img] Picture of my BIOS options and motherboard info...
  8. Windows getting too much slower

Windows getting too much slower: Hello, Last week I updated to windows10 OS to version 1803. Since that day my windows getting too much slow. For startup it takes about 6min an average. After starting it causes the problem of 100% disk usage. I have reset my laptop from seetings menu. But still I am...
  9. Is AHCI enabled?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is AHCI enabled?: Hello. I got my hp Z800 a Samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb installed. I also got the Samsung magician software (Current version). It's says that AHCI is not enabled, but when I go to the bios it shows that AHCI is enabled. I attached some pictures for you. Windows Problems –...
  10. Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation: How to: Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) makes NCQ (Native Command Queuing) along with hot-plugging or hot swapping through SATA...