Windows 10: Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

Discus and support Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a computer that is a few years old and in need of a rebuild, by which I mean reformat the disk and reinstall everything. The issue is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by seattlerust, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

I have a computer that is a few years old and in need of a rebuild, by which I mean reformat the disk and reinstall everything.

The issue is that this computer is currently a dual boot arrangement with Windows 7 first then Windows 10, Creators Upgrade. I want the end result to be Windows 10 only.

I am concerned that since the boot record resides on the Windows 7 OS since it was installed first, that there might be some unforeseen issue when I reinstall Windows 10 and expect it to create its own boot record. I don’t think this will happen but I am concerned nevertheless.

The process I am going to follow is to (1) back up everything, (2) reformat the complete disk removing the partitions that are there. With the nice clean formatted disk, (3) create new partitions for the OS and the data and (4) do a clean install of the Windows 10 OS. Then (5) reinstall all programs and (6) data. I am hoping that I can get a Windows 10 Media Creation tool to reinstall my Windows 10 and somehow that it will recognize that it is properly authenticated on this machine and all will be well.

Is there any fault in my thinking or am I correct in thinking that there may be some issues? Is the brief process that I outlined correct? Any suggestions?

Thank you all,
    SR

:)

seattlerust, Apr 27, 2017

2. Rebuild and eliminate Dual Boot at same time with clean install

The article I linked in my previous reply, will achieve the results you want, which is to delete then format the partitions:

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Apr 27, 2017
  3. LuginyKid Win User
    Rebuild and eliminate Dual Boot at same time with clean install

Andre,

The article referred to in Step 1 of your response is dated July 2015 and contains some updates that concern me. Are there any issues to worry about with today's ISO files provided by Microsoft? I am about to begin the tasks that I wrote about recently,
    starting with a rebuild of a 32 bit laptop that I will return from a dual boot system to a single boot, windows 10 Pro and then do the same with a 64 bit dual boot system.

Thank you for your continuing support. I am enjoying the education.

LK

LuginyKid, Apr 27, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

Hi seattlerust and welcome to the forum. Correct me if I am wrong but if both Win10 and Win7 are on the same HDD then reformatting the disk will remove both OSs including any boot records. Then you can do a clean install of Win10 with the MCT and it will activate.

SoFine409, Apr 27, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    After you delete all the partitions on the drive, create only the data partition at the end of the drive and format it as NTFS. When you clean install Windows 10, select the custom install option. Click on the unallocated space at the front of the drive and next - let Windows create all the partitions it wants to in the unallocated space.

NavyLCDR, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Hi and welcome to the forum. Correct me if I am wrong but if both Win10 and Win7 are on the same HDD then reformatting the disk will remove both OSs including any boot records. Then you can do a clean install of Win10 with the MCT and it will activate.

That is what I think as well, but I have had interesting experiences in the past fooling around with boot records in dual boot systems and am nervous. Wouldn't be so bad if this were my own computer, but it belongs to my wife *Rolleyes

SR

seattlerust, Apr 27, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    If you are doing clean install, it doesn't matter what was on that disk before. During installation you can delete all the partitions and let windows make own.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

1. Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time - Similar Threads - Rebuild eliminate dual

2. Dual Boot with same windows Product key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot with same windows Product key.: I have setup a PC with dual boot windows 10 professional . This pc has its own OEM product key for windows 10 professional.in here can i use the same product key on both windows 10 ?...
  3. Dual Boot with same windows Product key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot with same windows Product key.: I have setup a PC with dual boot windows 10 professional . This pc has its own OEM product key for windows 10 professional.in here can i use the same product key on both windows 10 ?...
  4. Dual boot and time synchronization

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot and time synchronization: On my PC I've two OS: the main one, Windows 10, and the one I use for some university classes, Ubuntu. The whole setup is set up like this: If I want to use Windows, I simply turn on the PC, without entering the Boot menu, even if I was using Ubuntu; If I want to use...
  5. Dual Boot with same Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot with same Windows 10: I have a laptop with an SSD and a HDD. Windows is booted on the SSD and I read that SSDs dont last very long and was thinking when the SSD wont work anymore, I wont be able to use the laptop. So I wondered if I could partition the HDD and install the same Windows 10 on it...
  6. Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?

Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?: I had a single hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then created another partition and loaded Windows 10 on that resulting in a dual boot setup.I want to eliminate the dual boot setup and delete the partition with windows 7 on it leaving a single partition with only Windows...
  7. Dual boot time bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot time bug: "My system is dual bootable, Ubuntu or Windows 10. Ubuntu shows the correct time. I think this rules out a bad cmos battery. Windows 10 always shows the wrong time. Location settings are correct, time zone settings are correct. When I select to keep time manually,...
  8. Dual boot time bug.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot time bug.: My system is dual bootable, Ubuntu or Windows 10. Ubuntu shows the correct time. I think this rules out a bad cmos battery. Windows 10 always shows the wrong time. Location settings are correct, time zone settings are correct. When I select to keep time manually,...
  9. Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot): Hello! I'm wondering if is this possible! For example 1 partition with windows 10, another one with linux. I start my computer and both systems will run, windows 10 as default system and with a simple hotkey, I change my screen to the linux system. I am dreaming?...
  10. Eliminating second OS from dual boot

Eliminating second OS from dual boot: I have Win 10 as the second of a dual boot with Vista. Each is on it's own hard drive. If I remove the Vista drive then win 10 won't boot as it is looking for winload.exe. Is there a way I can give it access to the winload.exe it is looking forand then uninstall Vista? If...