Windows 10: Rebuilding machine. How do I verify and re-install my Windows 10?

Discus and support Rebuilding machine. How do I verify and re-install my Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did my last built this machine in 2012. Over the years I made occasional upgrades--SSD, memory, and eventually WIN 10 from Win 7. However, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CalypsoArt, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rebuilding machine. How do I verify and re-install my Windows 10?

I did my last built this machine in 2012. Over the years I made occasional upgrades--SSD, memory, and eventually WIN 10 from Win 7. However, the machine is showing its age and I think a new build is close at hand. I intend to use the same case/power SSD etc., while replacing the Mobo, processor, and memory. In this age without installation DVDs and serial numbers, what is the procedure to reload my LEGAL copy Windows 10 on the revised machine?

:)

CalypsoArt, Jun 6, 2017
  2. PapaSB Win User

Return to Windows 8 from Windows 10

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 device. After I upgraded I came across an issue with a driver (or similar) which meant that my machine was unable to boot into Windows.

The only options were for me to rebuild the machine and wipe or rebuild and keep all my files. There was no options to do anything else... none of the other options worked.

I did rebuild and keep files... The machine rebuilt, all my files are retained and I am able to use it again.

HOWEVER - I HAVE A PROBLEM!

I am now unable to return to Windows 8.1... I think the rebuild has removed the option to return to Windows 8.1 because it is a rebuild off of the Windows 10 installation files, not Windows 8.1. I can still see the Windows.old files and
    folder, I also know that the required installation information is all still present as the Disk Clean Up (system files) still shows them.

I need to reinstate the Windows 8.1 roll back button on my machine but there is nothing to explain how. Nor can I find a KB to show me how I might do this using a command prompt or similar.

My device does partially work in Windows 10, but not fully. This is so incredibly frustrating as I have lost a lot of the free subscriptions that were included in the laptop as well (such as office personal and mcafee) because the rebuild uninstalled them
    all.

PLEASE can someone tell me how to get back to the Windows 8.1 on my machine

And before you ask NO I do not have a back up and / or image of the machine as I was asked to upgrade when I turned the new machine on - it went straight to Windows 10...

This is a brand new laptop!

PapaSB, Jun 6, 2017
  3. When I install version 10, does anyone know if I will have to re-install my drivers, applications and data all over again i.e.

<Original title: Windows 10 Free Upgrade>

Hello All

I have just spent a painstaking week or so rebuilding my machine. When I install version 10, does anyone know if I will have to re-install my drivers, applications and data all over again i.e. is this effectively the same as building the machine from scratch?
    Really reluctant to do this because I am in the middle of some important e-learning and don't have time/inclination to rebuild a second time.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn Waller, Jun 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Rebuilding machine. How do I verify and re-install my Windows 10?

In theory as its new hardware you should buy a new copy of Windows but ten seems more forgiving if you install and login with you Ms account there is a good chance it will activate all details are now on Ms servers so you don't need serial you can just skip that bit

Samuria, Jun 6, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    There should be no requirement to purchase Windows 10 again on a replacement machine for the original home build.

Make sure that your current digital license for Windows 10 is linked to your Microsoft account:

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- before you rebuild the system.

On the rebuild, after installation of Windows 10, sign in with your Microsoft account, and activation should follow.

If there are problems, post on the Windows Updates and Activation - Windows 10 Forums forum for help.

Fafhrd, Jun 6, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
  7. cereberus Win User
    Not true - the link with MS account only enables user to reactivate in event of a hardware change. This is a manual process using activation troubleshooter.

cereberus, Jun 6, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

No - activation will not follow. OP has to run activation troubleshooter to reactivate new pc.

cereberus, Jun 6, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    @zbook's post #4 is the right scoop, directly from Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Rebuilding machine. How do I verify and re-install my Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Rebuilding machine verify

2. how do i verify that my installation package exists

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i verify that my installation package exists: computer is asking for this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-verify-that-my-installation-package/b4a39963-bb18-4908-8d6e-d6164abcc815
  3. how do i verify that my installation package exists

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i verify that my installation package exists: computer is asking for this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-verify-that-my-installation-package/b4a39963-bb18-4908-8d6e-d6164abcc815
  4. how do i verify that my installation package exists

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I rebuild my Windows to increase Windows performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I rebuild my Windows to increase Windows performance: How do I rebuild my Windows to increase Windows performance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rebuild-my-windows-to-increase-windows/c9bcb405-6308-4d0d-bf8f-0c925e18bbc4
  6. how do i re-install windows 10?

how do i re-install windows 10?: i was installing linux on my pc when i clicked "delete all other operating systems" by mistake now i want to switch back to windows while i dont know how i also dont have any other computer at home with a licensed version of windows 10 one has chrome os hacked into it and...
  7. Rebuild Windows 10 Machine

Rebuild Windows 10 Machine: I have a computer that upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 when the free upgrade was offered. As such I do not have a Windows 10 Disk nor product code My computer has become painfully SLOW, and I want to rebuild it from scratch. How do I go about loading the OS without a...
  8. Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate: I have a digital licence for Windows 10 Pro which was linked to my Microsoft account prior to my deleting my virtual machine and re-installing it. It's running on an Apple Mac. Having now re-installed Windows 10, I am having problems activating it. On initially looking at my...
  9. Re-install 10 on dualboot machine

Re-install 10 on dualboot machine: Hi all,I have a question about dual-booting.I have 10 as my first operating system.After that I installed 8.1 and I dual-boot.My ? is,I want to install a fresh copy of 10.Will that affect 8.1 partition in any way. Thank-you,Tony. 132207
  10. Re-install 10 on dualboot machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-install 10 on dualboot machine: Hi all,I have a question about dual-booting.I have 10 as my first operating system.After that I installed 8.1 and I dual-boot.My ? is,I want to install a fresh copy of 10.Will that affect 8.1 partition in any way. Thank-you,Tony. 132207

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rebuild windows 10 machine keep activation etc

2. i rebuilt my windows session.

3. rebuilding my windows 10 machine

4. verify when a machine was rebuilt windows 10