Windows 10: Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.

Discus and support Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just thought I'd see if there was a new BIOS available for my new ASUS Prime Z370-A and there was one available dated 4th January. It mentioned some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Woody72, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Woody72 Win User

Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.

Just thought I'd see if there was a new BIOS available for my new ASUS Prime Z370-A and there was one available dated 4th January. It mentioned some stability updates and a "microcode update for the CPU". Do we think this relates to the recent Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability? I'm guessing it must do, I can't find a more detailed description on the ASUS website.

:)

Woody72, Jan 5, 2018
  2. Danicela Win User

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSODS error

Thanks for your reply.

What search bar are you talking about ? On this website ? On Windows Start menu ? Note that I use french version. Is it a native Windows software ? Or should I download something ?

Note that I'm already up to date on the BIOS, I updated the Asus MB to 0703, release of january 2016, CPU microcode patch 74, and it didn't solve anything.

Danicela, Jan 5, 2018
  3. ET 2701 user help line

FYI all.

Three important articles (concerning microcode fixes)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

Main takeaway: "This update is a standalone update available through the Microsoft Update Catalog and targeted for Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)"

Microsoft KB4090007: Intel microcode updates

Main takeaway: "It's an hotfix for Windows, not for the bios"

Intel’s latest set of Spectre microcode fixes is coming to a Windows update

Main takeaway: "Microcode updates have two main distribution channels. ... The second route to distribution is through the operating system".

I installed the update yesterday and I have not had any problems. I have Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz.

Mighty Tiger, Jan 5, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Not likely, they are not related.

CountMike, Jan 5, 2018
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Meltdown and Spectre: Here’s what Intel, Apple, Microsoft, others are doing about it | Ars Technica

Cliff S, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Woody72 Win User
    Oh, so it might be then *Smile. That's encouraging if it is.

Woody72, Jan 5, 2018
  7. My beliefs are simple.

When a proper repair is completed it will be added to a Windows 10 update.
    All manufactures of CPU's will try to fix this problem without using a bios/uefi update with a very basic explanation of what the update does.

We all just have to wait and see what come down the trail.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 5, 2018
  8. fireberd Win User

I updated my ROG Maximus VIII motherboard. There are two programs that must be run. (1) Intel Management Interface Driver and then (2) the ASUS ME update. Just trying to run the ASUS ME update will not work.

I also found a BIOS update for mine but it too did not change the ME version number. Only after running the two programs (Intel first) did the ME version change.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update. - Similar Threads - Recent ASUS BIOS

2. Asus motherboard Update Bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asus motherboard Update Bios: Hi.Recently I wanted to update my Asus b250m-c motherboard bios and I figured my bios is "Aptio setup utility". It looks pretty old and doesn't have tools for updating bios EZflash and it seems like even some older motherboards have modern bios more graphical bios . So is...
  3. Asus motherboard Update Bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus motherboard Update Bios: Hi.Recently I wanted to update my Asus b250m-c motherboard bios and I figured my bios is "Aptio setup utility". It looks pretty old and doesn't have tools for updating bios EZflash and it seems like even some older motherboards have modern bios more graphical bios . So is...
  4. Asus motherboard Update Bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Asus PN50 will not update bios

in Windows 10 Support
    Asus PN50 will not update bios: Just bought an Asus PN50 R7 4700u, so I checked the Asus support page where it listed several bios updates. My bios was version No 0406 so I decided to go for 0409 as it is several months newer. I did all as instructed in the bios but when I selected the 0409.CAP file, a pop...
  6. Microcode Update for Intel CPU's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microcode Update for Intel CPU's: Hi! I update my laptop ME firmware and my CPU microcode, the last one via Windows Update. Is it going to be an update for desktop processors? Because the update for 10th gen Intel CPU's to update the microcode are only for mobile devices and i can't find one for desktop...
  7. recent Asus update problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    recent Asus update problems: I recently heard a new posting that some Asus updates brought some malware with it. One of our laptops is a basic Asus model and went black about the same time ...a couple weeks ago. Any news on this...?...
  8. Asus Z270K cpu microcode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus Z270K cpu microcode: Is this microcode an update that is to be installed because of the Meltdown issue? What are the actual steps to installing this type of file? I found reference to the Al Suite tools so I installed this Suite but when I clicked on the upgrade checking the result was that no...
  9. How to update the CPU's microcode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to update the CPU's microcode: Good Morning All, I came from Linux to Windows 10. After 14 years, got tired of the Linux desktop mess. The experience has been good. I've been on W10 since the beginning of the year. Under Linux, CPU microcode updates were easy to deploy. My MB MFG (MSI) tells me short of...
  10. Asus CPU microcode update...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Asus CPU microcode update...: The system with Asus Prime Z370-A updated to BIOS version 0613, that includes the CPU microcode update. Benchmarking the drives and comparing to pre-update results show interesting results. System drive, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, M.2 NVMe x4 : [img] Updating the BIOS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus firmware 10.1.2.314

2. update asus CPU microcode

3. microcode update asus

4. will updating intel cpu microcode slow down my computer