Windows 10: Recent file or folders in Quick Access

Discus and support Recent file or folders in Quick Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Sep 9, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Recent file or folders in Quick Access

chipwood, Sep 9, 2017

2. Can't we sort Quick Access items?

Hi Cathy,

Items in the Quick access view can't be sorted as you like. It's a special folder designed that way. The "recent files" section, files that are most recently accessed are shown at the top. For Frequent folders listing, its sorted as:

Pinned Special folders

Pinned folders

Recent folders

Two things that can be changed:

1. Mix up Frequent folders and Recent files listing, instead of them being shown in separate groups.

2. Sort "frequent folders" items by name regardless of type (whether it's a special folder, pinned normal folder or a recent folder.)

Unfortunately, both of this involve editing the registry.

For custom sort, AFAIK, that can't be done for Quick access.. and even if it were possible it might involve editing the registry and changing the shell folder bitmask values.

Two other workarounds would be:

1. Pin "Recent folders" in Quick Access.

2. Pin "Recent folders" as a separate namespace item, appearing below Quick access section.

REF: How to Pin Recent folders or Recent Places to the Navigation Pane in Windows 10 File Explorer

Benefit: Items in this view can be custom sorted.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 9, 2017
  3. LeonRH Win User
    Recently used Excel Files

I know how to do that and have pinned folders to quick access. All those folder in the picture i attached are folders i pinned to quick access. But files recently open should show on the "recent files" list in the bottom half of the picture. All files
    for Word, PowerPoint, PDF, jpg, etc are showing in recent files except for Excel files. Why not Excel?

LeonRH, Sep 9, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Items you want to keep you can 'Pin' to Quick Access via the Navigation Pane;

Pin or Unpin Quick Access Locations in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

'History' items you don't want showing you'll need to clear and uncheck as per figure in Option One/Step 4 in the tutorial.

Edwin, Sep 9, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, suggestion: if you want better and almost universal access to frequently used items (and favourites) in programs and universal apps using buttons in the title bar, have a look at Actual Window tools (not free but can be obtained using Trialpay). They offer the extraordinarily comprehensive main product, and simplified versions too.
    Actual Window Manager: Multiple Monitors, Virtual Desktops, Windows Control and Other Useful Tools.

Listary has a useful free/pro option, but is not as universal.

Example (here using an open box):

Recent file or folders in Quick Access [​IMG]

You can see the Actual Window Manager title buttons at the top, and a Listary box (here triggered by a middle click).
    Below the open box is a Listary search toolbar (optional).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recent file or folders in Quick Access - Similar Threads - Recent file folders

2. Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access: I use Quick access a lot. I have a system on which I reloaded windows and the files and folders I pin to Quick Access drop off. I haven't been able to find a specific action I am taking that makes them drop off. Some time it takes a while a day and sometimes it is much...
  3. Quick Access & Recent files

Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  4. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  5. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

Increase number of recent folders in quick access: This seems to have been done to death over the years but the interest in pressing MS for an update has waned by the looks of it. I would encourage all interested users to post more regularly about this becasue for those who are file and folder users, this is an important...
  6. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  7. recent files and folders, quick access

recent files and folders, quick access: hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right...
  8. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  9. Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files: Hello, I've learned to like the "Quick Access" feature of Win 10. Recently it has shown a strange trait. That is, instead of listing my "frequent folders" in a list in a pane at the top of the window and "recent files" in a pane at the bottom at the bottom of the window...
  10. File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes..

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes..: So File Explorer Quick Access shows Recent Folders, because I pinned it to be there: [img] But, when you go to "Save as" dialog box, Recent Folders inexplicably disappears from Quick Access: [img] Why is that? How can I fix it so that "Save as" and "Open" show...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recent folders tab in quick access