Windows 10: Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

Discus and support Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After a recent compulsory update (13th Dec) to Windows 10, my start menu won't open by clicking on the icon or by the windows key. The search button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jamiemccoll, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

After a recent compulsory update (13th Dec) to Windows 10, my start menu won't open by clicking on the icon or by the windows key. The search button also doesn't respond. All programs previously pinned to the taskbar no longer appear, even when open (making alt-tabbing the only way to switch windows). The clock/date and volume controls normally in the bottom right corner also don't appear. I've tried the powershell fix found on a couple of posts:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

but after initializing it doesn't seem to do much more.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

J.

:)

jamiemccoll, Dec 14, 2015

2. Cannot right click taskbar icons on Windows 10. The start menu button on the keyboard won't open the start menu either

Following update for Windows 10 version 1709 I am not able to right click on any of my taskbar icons (only the programs I have pinned to the taskbar-clock, volume, and others still work) or open my start menu. The
    windows key on the keyboard won't open the start menu either. I can still use the left click and open the programs pinned to my taskbar, just the right click doesn't work. Anyone have ideas?

Have completed a sfc scan and dism check as well as creating a new user which also exhibits this behavior.

JonHolloway, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Sept Patch/Update Windows 10 - PC Behavior Problems

Ok .. everything updated.

I can once again right click and drag windows around. But, still unable to get the Start Menu button to work correctly.

I can run sfc. It doesn't find anything.

If I click/right click the start menu or the notifications icon next to the clock on the taskbar, nothing happens.

If I click/right click the start menu or the notifications icon next to the clock on the taskbar and then immediately press CTRL+ALT+DEL, then press "ESC" key .. viola, the Start Menu or Notifications pop-out appear.

GabrielHarmon, Dec 14, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  5. Thanks! #2 seems to have fixed it after a restart.

jamiemccoll, Dec 14, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    DISM ? Did SFC first ? If so and fixed, Your Welcome

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  7. Dagnabbit Win User
    Hello, I was having the exact same issue. I followed the link above and tried the command prompt solutions #1 and #2...

When I tried #1 sfc /scannow it scaned up to 100% then said "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation."

Then I tried #2 Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and got "error: 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option."

Am I doing something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Dagnabbit, Dec 21, 2015
  8. Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

I recently had to restore my Windows system following an unexpected power outage. Following this I was unable to access Action Center notifications, the sound bar or even the Start button with a left-click. Examination of the Events log showed multiple errors attempting to start various apps with the following message pattern:

"Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

It turns out that the folder C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Local\Packages lacked the required permissions for execution by various services. To resolve this: right-click the folder and select Properties->Security->Advanced->Add->Select a principal then type "Everyone" in the dialog box and click OK. Now click the desired permission boxes (e.g. Modify, Write, etc.) and click Apply.

The resulting permissions will be applied to all sub-folders and files, allowing services to start the required applications that enable Action Center, etc.

Hope this helps!

DaveInAustinTx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

1. Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone - Similar Threads - Recent update Start

2. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu: First off, a little background information. This is a brand new Dell PC i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 512GB that came with Windows 11 22H2 Home pre-installed; I subsequently upgraded to Pro as we are in a domain environment. After a few days of use strange things began happening, desktop...
  3. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu: First off, a little background information. This is a brand new Dell PC i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 512GB that came with Windows 11 22H2 Home pre-installed; I subsequently upgraded to Pro as we are in a domain environment. After a few days of use strange things began happening, desktop...
  4. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons: Hello! My newly installed apps icons not showing ON TOP to start, only sorting alphabetically... Figured out this problem happening from this morning... tried to change some settings on 'Start' but not working, Please Help !! here is the picture[ATTACH]...
  6. Taskbar clock is gone

Taskbar clock is gone: I have a Windows 10 Surface Pro. My taskbar clock just randomly disappeared, and I can't get it back. I've looked at a lot of different possible solutions to get the clock back, but none have worked so far. Even when I go to the notification settings, it says that the clock...
  7. Volume icon on taskbar not working

Volume icon on taskbar not working: Not sure how I did it, but I have lost controls on the volume icon on taskbar. The little volume speaker is there, but nothing happens when I click on it--can't control volume with it. How do I get it to work?...
  8. Start Menu Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Gone: I want to start using my start menu, but I don't remember how to add icons back. I tried to just drag them but that doesn't work. Also, they just all disappeared randomly. Not sure why. Screenshot 33575
  9. Start menu gone, taskbar irresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu gone, taskbar irresponsive: Three weeks ago I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Everything went well and I was a happy camper until two days ago. Suddenly the start menu was gone. The icon is still there but when I click on it, it opens the start menu for a split second and then it's...
  10. Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons: Hi, So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed it so I'm not sure how up-to-date it was, however it's just completely updated itself (I'm not sure which build it is, or...