Windows 10: Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start

Discus and support Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got a windows 10 update a couple days ago and ever since that day, I am unable to open most of my programs. Some programs that won't open include... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by michaelma4, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start

I got a windows 10 update a couple days ago and ever since that day, I am unable to open most of my programs. Some programs that won't open include Microsoft Edge, Skype, Minecraft, League of Legends, etc. I can't even open the settings for my computer to try to reset my PC. Google Chrome will open but it only appears as a white box that is useless. Some programs that will open for me are the recycle bin, FireFox, and any folders that have programs or any other files in them.

When I start up my computer, I enter in my login info, and it brings me to my desktop. If I click the start button, it brings up the start menu. When I do something else however, I am no longer able to click the start button as it doesn't bring up the start menu. When I hover my mouse over the area to where the start menu should be, my mouse turns into the blue loading circle. I can't click anything when my cursor is the blue loading circle.

When I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del it only brings up a black screen where the only thing I can see is my cursor. I can get out of this black screen by hitting the esc key.

When I attempt to download something from FireFox, It downloads on my computer but then I am unable to execute it When I download something it usually asks for admin permission in the screen that makes the background go darker, but after this update I got it only makes the background darker and doesn't show the actual box with the information and Yes/No options to download something. In order for me to get out of the darkened screen, I can't simply press esc. I have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, then it takes me back to what I was looking at previously for a second, then goes black. Then I can press esc to go back to what I was doing.

I just recently right clicked my desktop and hit "Display Settings" and it brings up the error "ms-settings:display" saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I have attempted to run system restore but to no success.
    We got this computer back in 2013 and was originally Windows 8.
    I can provide some screenshots of pretty much anything if that would help my case.

:)

michaelma4, Oct 1, 2016
  2. cb_Largo Win User

Windows 10 start menu not working.

I have identified the software that is "breaking" my Windows 10 Start button and am using a .bat file to reset explorer.exe when it happens as a quick work around. What is breaking my Start button is a remote desktop type program named Splashtop. When either
    my IT Admin or I remotely connect to either my office PC or my home PC, most of the time it breaks the Start button. Sometimes it just breaks the"Right Click" menu of the Taskbar. By the way, my Windows 10 Pro is fully updated to the latest update of the Anniversary
    edition.

cb_Largo, Oct 1, 2016
  3. 2017 TurboTax for Business

When 2017 TurboTax for Business loads, on the initial setup screen it hangs and says:

"Something is causing program not to run." Windows sends something somewhere, and then message "if we have a solution, will we let you know.

This happened after more recent Windows 10 update. Seems like everything an "automatic" update takes over my computer, something breaks. Can you help?

ToniMuscovitch, Oct 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start

Hello, which update would that be? You can check (if it works!) in Settings, Updates, Update History.

If it's 1607 (the anniversary update), you won't have any restore points (but what you wrote implied you did but trying to use one failed - how did it fail?).

And if it is 1607, you could roll back in the next 10 days.

Otherwise do you have the option of uninstalling it?

Please complete your system specs including Home or Pro and disk drives. Thanks.
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums
    What is your current build level? (Windows key + R, winver).

Do you use disk imaging to back up and protect your system (as we strongly recommend) or Windows Backup and Restore system imaging?

dalchina, Oct 2, 2016
  5. crock76 Win User
    i have the exact same problem, was working fine until last update 4/1/17. system restore errors as well. any insights?

crock76, Apr 3, 2017
  6. crock76 Win User
    hi michaelma - i saw yr post and it was the only one i've read that listed all of the same symptoms my machine is exhibiting after the last update. by chance, were you able to determine the cause? i am contemplating a fresh install of windows but w/o knowing what caused it, am afraid it will happen again after clean install. were you able to deduce what the issue was? thanks in advance for any info.

crock76, Apr 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if by any chance your system restore error is 80070091 there is a possible fix in the very long thread I started some time back in the first 1 or 2 pages of a 24 page or so thread.

Just search for 80070091 if that's needed.

We've learnt not to rely on system restore alone- it's not robust enough when needed, especially with the major changes MS has been making, it seems.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start

1. Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start - Similar Threads - Recent Update Caused

2. The most recent W11 update breaks my Windows start button.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The most recent W11 update breaks my Windows start button.: Hello!The recent update KB5022303 for W11 Pro seems to have killed my start button. Everything else seems to work fine on the taskbar, except the start button.I have tried the usual UI trouble-shooting:Restarted explorer.exeRestarted PCDid a DISM and SFC scan, both were...
  3. The most recent W11 update breaks my Windows start button.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The most recent W11 update breaks my Windows start button.: Hello!The recent update KB5022303 for W11 Pro seems to have killed my start button. Everything else seems to work fine on the taskbar, except the start button.I have tried the usual UI trouble-shooting:Restarted explorer.exeRestarted PCDid a DISM and SFC scan, both were...
  4. Most Recent Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Most Recent Windows 10 Update: I got that big update in the last 10 days. On its way to the desktop, it showed some new things. I was in a hurry and skipped past it. Is there a way to get back to that OR is there a list of new features available? One thing that I keep running into and don't know how I am...
  5. Most recent Windows update is causing issues!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Most recent Windows update is causing issues!: Since the most recent Windows update I am experiencing a couple issues: 1. Each and every time I boot up my computer, once it gets to the desktop, Windows Security prompts me to verify it's me. [ATTACH] 2. None of my browser/site passwords and logins are being saved any...
  6. The most recent feature update breakes my boot drive somehow? ( ive attempted the update...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The most recent feature update breakes my boot drive somehow? ( ive attempted the update...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Miner142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jzmg9y/the_most_recent_feature_update_breakes_my_boot/
  7. Most recent updates

Most recent updates: How do I know I'm operating on updated version of Microsoft windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-recent-updates/88d75eee-19a0-4633-962f-17af33c3dab4
  8. Most recent update

Most recent update: I am an "Insider" and have installed the latest update. All sorts of strange things have started to happen. Examples: 1. The audio out on my camera no longer works for conversations on Skype. 2, The voice recorder no longer works. 3, When I try to open Edge I receive the...
  9. Recent Windows 10 update breaks Steam

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Windows 10 update breaks Steam: I seem to notice a trend here. Anyway, some recent update Windows 10 did completely broke Steam, except for my Steam library if I even manage to log in. I've done possibly everything you can think of. If you can find it on Google, I tried it and it didn't work....
  10. Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ?: Is the Start Menu's list of Most Recent Programs hard-set at only 6? Or, can I alter this somewhere? Thanks 47637