Windows 10: Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10

Discus and support Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Several months ago a friend told me she was getting a new desktop machine since the old Vista machine was sick beyond repair. She asked if I would I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by websquad, Mar 26, 2017.

1. websquad Win User

Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10

Several months ago a friend told me she was getting a new desktop machine since the old Vista machine was sick beyond repair. She asked if I would I like the old box. I agree and planned to use this as a Linux/Mint platform.

When I powered up, I found Win 10 Home, four months behind on updates, and no other problems. So I started updating. Now I need the password (didn't need it until now), to login after the update.

So, even if my friend can find the password, is there a way I could transfer the OS to my Microsoft account?

The old Vista registration code is on the original sticker affixed to the computer. Can I use that code to transfer to my MS account?

:)

websquad, Mar 26, 2017
  2. italiano1 Win User

Is it possible after downloading win 10, to go back and reclaim files that I had on my vista desktop.

Original Title: vista files

Is it possible after downloading win 10, to go back and reclaim files that I had on my vista desktop.

italiano1, Mar 26, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 26, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If the Windows 10 is activated on the computer and is the latest version, all you have to do is set up a Microsoft Account login on it and it will show up in your list of devices on your Microsoft account and the digital license for Windows 10 will get linked to it.

The VISTA product key won't be good for anything other than installing VISTA onto the computer.

NavyLCDR, Mar 26, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    So I started updating. Now I need the password (didn't need it until now), to login after the update.

Good news that some 10 Updates even installed, so no activation issues, machine is digitally entitled for device life. How has she been signing in all these yrs after a reboot or did she set it up to bypass ? Was she using dual boot Vista or Win10 ? If she REALLY can't find it, you need to enable the built-in administrator to reset the password. Follow this tutorial for built-in admin activation, Option 4, and second one, Option 1, if you need to create installation media.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

So, even if my friend can find the password, is there a way I could transfer the OS to my Microsoft account?

After restart with built-in admin, go to Action Center\All settings\Accounts and create a Local Acct with admin privileges under the User name that you want (if you use your MS acct, your files may have an undesired name based on your email address) and then elect to 'Sign in with my MS acct instead'. You may be prompted to verify the acct via a code sent by text to your phone or alt email. You're all set. Don't forget to disable built-in admin. Good Luck

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reclaiming old HP/Vista/Win 10 - Similar Threads - Reclaiming old Vista

2. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  3. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  4. Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset: After updating Vista to Win 7 & Win 10, what would happen if I reset computer.I would like to reinstall Win 10.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vista-win-7-then-win-10-reset/81eae0e2-b860-408f-81c9-59db287950b1
  5. Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset: After updating Vista to Win 7 & Win 10, what would happen if I reset computer.I would like to reinstall Win 10.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vista-win-7-then-win-10-reset/81eae0e2-b860-408f-81c9-59db287950b1
  6. Old vista laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old vista laptop: So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over....
  7. vista and win 10 help pls

vista and win 10 help pls: so I have this pc my uncle gave to me which i only added ram and a better gpu but wanted to install windows 10 and it wont let me cause every time i want to install any iso is takes me to media center and ant remove it from the rec ommended open with menu and i tryedd rufus...
  8. Mail in win 10 vanishes but there in Vista

in Browsers and Email
    Mail in win 10 vanishes but there in Vista: Overnight the lot went ,thats twice this has happened Yet i have VISTA on dual boot and it is all there any help please thanks 169745
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade on old 2008 HP Desktop with Vista. Impossible?

Windows 10 Upgrade on old 2008 HP Desktop with Vista. Impossible?: Hello, everyone. I have a desktop PC I bought back in 2008 that came with Windows Vista. It's an HP Pavilion a6720f. I didn't have access to the computer until after the free Windows 10 upgrade offer had ended. When I had it back in my possession, I upgraded to Windows 7...
  10. Win Vista to Windoze 10

Win Vista to Windoze 10: Is it possible, do I need to buy something, or maybe Bat.1 will give me cr-----k/key?*Sleepy*Sleepy 105707