Windows 10: recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router

Discus and support recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Moderators: if this post is off-topic, please just delete it, and I will understand. Guys, Is is OK to ask for a router recommendation here. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by x509, Aug 13, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router

Moderators: if this post is off-topic, please just delete it, and I will understand.

Guys,

Is is OK to ask for a router recommendation here. My network includes a wireless bridge which is failing, so I thought I would repurpose my current router as a bridge and get a new router with 802.11ac support. What do you guys recommend.

Thanks.

:)

2. Lumia 1520 - poor 5GHz Wi-Fi performance

I did some more research on this.

If the 802.11ac router is fixed to 40 MHz bandwidth (i.e. more or less the same as 11n), the throughput is just as expected.

It's if the 802.11ac router is using 80 MHz bandwidth (as they are normally configured) that the throughput is very low. Looking at the router's wireless log, it seems that transmissions (in both directions) are occurring at 6 Mbps MCS.

In other words, it would appear the rate adaptation algorithm is not working correctly on 80 MHz 802.11ac channels with the Lumia 1520 (hence they are communicating very inefficiently at the lowest MCS).

Could anyone else verify this behavior, particularly with other brands of Wi-Fi router? If so a driver update is in order...

tomdjpn---01, Aug 13, 2016
  3. PasskonW. Win User
    AC WiFi connecting as N protocol WINDOWS 10 64 BIT

Have you recently made any change/updates prior to this issue?

ANS : Change Router and USB Adapter Wireless N system To Wireless AC system .

Have you check if the Wireless adapter on your computer supports AC protocol?

ANS : YES It all supports AC protocol (RT-AC68U and TP link Archer T4U)

Have you accessed the router's GUI or settings to check if the Wireless mode is already set in AC?

ANS : SURE. Router and USB Adaptor setting All for AC (5Ghz , 80 MHz , 802.11ac mode)

PasskonW., Aug 13, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

That would depend largely on your Budget and how fast you want AC to go ?

But I am fairly Happy with the TP Link C7 for it's price.....it is also IPV6 capable if your ISP uses it? Mine is ver. 2
    ----- it seems happier if it is restarted every now and then it seems ....

Kbird, Aug 13, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    The wireless ac market is changing quickly, so it's hard to put a finger on things. How much do you want to spend? Do you want the absolute best? Fastest? Best Range?

At the top end there is now the NETGEAR - Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Tri-Band Quad Stream Wireless-AC Router, which boasts 3 bands and 5.3Gb/s, but is close to $400

At the midrange is something like an AC1900/AC1750/AC1600

At the lower end is an AC300-750 or so. Generally, the higher the number the faster it is, and more bands it supports. I typically won't buy anything that isn't at least dual-band. There's just way too much stuff in the 2.4GHz range for interference (mice, cordless phones, baby monitors, all kinds of stuff). 5Ghz is much less crowded and faster.

However, you don't really say what your current router is.. if you get something way wicked fast, and you are stuck with your slower router as a bridge... then it's not going to help much.

What do you need the bridge for exactly? To allow a desktop PC to use the wireless? Might be easier to just get a card for the desktop.

Mystere, Aug 13, 2016
  6. My utmost priority is the rock stable connection then performance and wireless range on both bands. IMO, Linksys WRT1900AC easily met all of these requirements. I haven't restarted the router since the last time I manually updated the firmware:

recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router [​IMG]

theveterans, Aug 13, 2016
  7. Chrisss Win User
    I don't think you will need something more than an AC1900 router and while I agree that the Linksys WRT1900AC is a good device, either of these two options can outperform it and they're a bit cheaper (you could also slip a powerline adapter if the bridge isn't as reliable).

Chrisss, Aug 13, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I have been very happy with my Netgear R7000. I have exactly 1 complaint about it in about 4 years I've had it. It has a feature called smart connect which chooses which band (2.4 or 5) a device connects to for best performance. My router is in the basement, and I have a dual band range extender in a second floor bedroom. With smart connect turned on, it only lets the dual band range extender connect to only 1 channel - so I just leave that turned off.

I have the Netgear R7000 in the basement. Two floors up I have a Linksys RE6500 Range Extender which has 4 ethernet ports as well. Both my 2.4 and 5 ghz channels have the same SSIDs and since I have gone to this arrangement (and I have tried a bunch) I have rock solid signal and performance all over my house.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Something to consider is that not all AC Devices are equal in there top speed , so there is no point in a $400 AC5300 Router if the Devices you are going to Connect can't do those speeds anyway. When you are at those Speeds Devices need to be able to Beam Split etc to get that top performance speed.

If like me you have your Phone and maybe a Tablet , Surface 3 in my case, the C7 ac1750 is fast enough , (1300@5ghz/450@2.4ghz)
    The Surface in particular can only do max 768 anyway , and only within 5-10 ft of the Router.

A friend has the Tplink C8 and has no issues with it either. But my Brother has the D8 which he says has connection issues and is waiting for a new Firmware .

Kbird, Aug 13, 2016
  10. xeleron Win User
    As a side note ,you may want to know what technology your ISP uses when delivering your internet speed.For example,here in Romania,where I live, the largest Gigabit internet provider uses PPPoE which is quite demanding on most routers,for example Tp link has a separate table for the PPPoE speeds their routers can deliver.I know for a fact that the nighthawk is capped at 550 mb/s if HW Nat is not working properly on PPPoE.

xeleron, Aug 13, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    This is absolutely true. However, one other thing to consider is how MANY devices you are connecting. The faster devices simply have more bandwidth, and therefore can handle more devices at once with more bandwidth for each device.

If you have kids, a wife, and others living in your home, they may each have phones, tablets, DVR's, and other tools that use up a bunch of wireless bandwidth.

Mystere, Aug 14, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Always check the ratings on smallnetbuilder.com. Personally I would go with a wired router, a Access Point with POE (Powered Over Ethernet) capabilities. Mixing Gateways with wireless built in and trying to turn them into just an Access Point will still cause issues if that one device is already having problems.

bro67, Aug 14, 2016
  13. x509 Win User

I would like to spend $300 or less so I can "future proof" a bit, but if the 802.11 ac market is changing rapidly, then maybe I want to spend less. One of my friends said that I should just pick up a cheapie replacement 802.11n bridge. *really

To answer someone else's reply, the bridge is to support a desktop, actually two desktops and a laptop when plugged in (for faster access to a printer and for backup). But the laptop is also used directly with WiFi and I'm planning to upgrade the laptop later this year.

My wife and I have an iPhone and an iPad each, four iDevices in all, all of which are WiFi connected. There is also the 1 year old smart TV.

14. x509 Win User
    Thanks for this suggestion. My house has two electrical subpanels due to an expansion, and I thought that this situation would make POE not practical. I'll head over to smallnetbuilder.com to ask the experts there.

15. bro67 Win User
    Two separate panels have nothing to do with setting up a Access Point that uses Power Over Ethernet. You would need to pull Cat-6 to where the Access Point will be mounted on the wall or ceiling (most now look like Smoke detectors). At the Gateway side, you would need either a switch that handles POE or a separate injector that would plug into your UPS for battery backup with the Router, a jumper from the injector to the Wired Router.

I use a Cisco RV-320 for handling all of my wired connections. A Engenius ECB-350 for Wireless-N 2.4ghz connections. A separate non-POE for Wireless-b/g legacy devices. It allows me a lot more flexibility tha what I would have with the all in one Gateway that ATT offers to their U-Verse Customers.

The issue that you deal with for WAN to LAN is the connection rate, how fast the CPU is, if it does Jumbo frames automatically or can allow the user to set them, which is very rare for SoHo and consumer grade devices. The last is how much RAM the unit has to handle all of that data.

If you are burning movies from dvd's to a home media server, it is nice to have a faster wireless speed. In reality, it is up to both ends deciding how large or how small the packet size will be. If the computer or even the router starts to see a bunch of CRC errors from channel congestion or from the equipment itself, either one can lower the packet size and rate, until it starts to get a more stable connection

Smallnetbuilder.com is the best resource out there for finding out specifics for gear and let you compare between units to see what is the best for you.

bro67, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

1. recommendation for 802.11ac wireless router - Similar Threads - recommendation 802 11ac

2. Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client: I want to run a VPN client on my router in order to protect all my devices attached to the network. I currently use a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 and the router CPU just can't handle the traffic. It degrades my download speed over 50% compared to running the VPN client on my desktop....
  3. Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client: I want to run a VPN client on my router in order to protect all my devices attached to the network. I currently use a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 and the router CPU just can't handle the traffic. It degrades my download speed over 50% compared to running the VPN client on my desktop....
  4. Wireless Router Recommendations

Wireless Router Recommendations: We have cable internet and will most likely switch to verizon fios. I'm not in this location though at the moment. Now the past month or so, the wifi sometimes doesn't work for a bit, then it works. Its a 2 story house and we leave the router and the modem in the 2nd floor...
  5. Recommendation for wireless mice

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommendation for wireless mice: I'm trying to look for a wireless mouse to replace the one I have right now. However, it seems that despite my seemingly low requirements, I can't find something that seems satisfactory. Right now, I'm using a Dell WM514p which, while good enough, doesn't have back/forward...
  6. Windows not communication with wireless router

Windows not communication with wireless router: My HP computer on Windows 10 with Intel Wi-Fi AX201 160 Mhz chip stopped communication with router. Router is ok and works fine with other computers. I already downloaded new drivers and installed from Hp. Com and Intel.com. My computer did download office software day...
  7. Seeking recommendations for non-wireless router

Seeking recommendations for non-wireless router: I’m going to be setting up a small business later this year. While it will need Internet access, only a PC and a couple of printers will need it, so I thought I could increase security a notch by foregoing a wireless router and using one that isn’t wireless. Any...
  8. Can't connect with wireless router

Can't connect with wireless router: From one of my Windows 10 PC's I'm not able to connect anymore with my wireless router which connect with the Internet. Until a few hours ago this connection worked just fine. I doesn't seem to be a problem with the wireless router since 2 of my other PC's(also running...
  9. FBI recommends to reboot routers to kill VPNFilter malware

in Windows 10 News
    FBI recommends to reboot routers to kill VPNFilter malware: FOREIGN CYBER ACTORS TARGET HOME AND OFFICE ROUTERS AND NETWORKED DEVICES WORLDWIDE SUMMARY The FBI recommends any owner of small office and home office routers power cycle (reboot) the devices. Foreign cyber actors have compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office...
  10. Broadcom 802. 11abgn wireless sdio adapter

Broadcom 802. 11abgn wireless sdio adapter: hi, My asus t200 transformer book has the Broadcom 802. 11abgn wireless sdio adapter. Recently, my PC started having serious issues with connecting to public wifi. Everytime I try, my PC says my wireless adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related issues, and...