Windows 10: Recommended protection for W10?

Discus and support Recommended protection for W10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm currently using MalwareBytes Anti Malware + Super Anti Spyware + Microsoft Essentials. What other combinations are you guys using? I haven't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by doriandiaconu, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Recommended protection for W10?

I'm currently using MalwareBytes Anti Malware + Super Anti Spyware + Microsoft Essentials.

What other combinations are you guys using? I haven't updated it for quite some time.

:)

doriandiaconu, Jul 9, 2016

2. Nokia 700 Protective Case Recommendation

Due to its size, like the C3-01 I had, I know it will get dropped and prefer a small profile case to protect it.

Nokasaurus, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Windows 10- Protection Recommendations Required

I have MSE in WinXP and 7. Windows Defender in Win8 or higher, which I use now in Win10, is MSE rebranded. I have had no issues. The choice is ultimately yours, of course.

See: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

I also recommend supplementing any security program you choose with these freeware tools and doing an occasional scan.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Malwarebytes for Windows

When offered, uncheck: Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

SuperAntiSpyware

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Bruce Hagen, Jul 9, 2016
  4. Recommended protection for W10?

Windows Defender for Antivirus
    Also an antimalware I paid for ages ago,

hTconeM9user, Jul 9, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    WD + MalwareBytes AntiExploit + AdBlocker in your browser(s) + Some ransomware protection

eLPuSHeR, Jul 10, 2016
  6. jpolacko Win User
    Norton Internet Security - Malwarebytes is what I've been using for years.

jpolacko, Jul 23, 2016
  7. Fabler Win User
    Ran free Avast since XP. Got a tad peeved with it lately. Trouble getting a known good file from the chest and seemed to use some resources at boot. I now run the free version of the cloud based Panda. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/panda-fr...view-3524.html and you need to juggle a bit on installing. It does 'phone home' but I accept that. Some false positives but you can easily identify the files and restore. Doesn't like Networx initially, for example, but easily remedied. Also check the download is the free version and not the trial. Good as an antimalware also. I use Malwarebytes pro, WOT, CryptoPreventer and Spywareblaster and that's it.

Ccleaner for housekeeping but only occasionally.

Fabler, Jul 23, 2016
  8. Recommended protection for W10?

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Anti Malware Premium + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Free.

RubberDucky, Jul 23, 2016
  9. Beaupeep Win User
    My choice - Norton Security + MBAW + MBAE. Been using Norton for about 9 years now.

But I am on the Windows Insider fast ring & have uninstalled NS. Currently testing Windows Defender with MBAW + MBAE.

Have subscriptions to Bitdefender Total Security & Kaspersky Internet Security. Kaspersky runs perfectly and is the other recommended option. BD increases internet lag/latency due to an issue with the firewall. There are workarounds but I believe they may compromise security.

I gave up on McAfee several years ago. *Smile

Beaupeep, Jul 24, 2016
  10. Kilwillie Win User
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Got a one-year license through Amazon for $15. Runs smoothly!

Kilwillie, Jul 24, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The combination that I use:

1. I don't click on anything that I am not sure exactly where it is going to go. Hover over the link and look at the bottom of the browser to see where it is going to go if unsure.

2. I close any pop-up advertising window by carefully watching the cursor in the upper right corner of it. Never click the cancel or close button they provide inside the window. If I can't find the "real" close window X in the upper right corner, then I ctrl-alt-del and close the pop-up in task manager or close the entire browser in task manager.

3. Always read at least enough of a program's EULA when installing to make sure it is the EULA for the program I want to install. Never agree to a EULA that isn't for the program I want. That is how to opt-out of some adware included with some programs - decline their EULA's.

4. Always pick the advanced or custom install option when installing a program. That is also where you get the chance to opt out of adware included with some programs.

5. Routinely clean the hard drive of temporary files, including internet caches.

I have 11 computers in my house running nothing by built-in Windows defender for "protection" and 4 other computer users, a couple of which are not at all "street smart" on the internet. I get maybe one malware infection per year in my house and those have 99% always been fixed by running a thorough hard drive cleaning with built-in Windows disk cleanup followed by CCleaner.

I have also cleaned up 2 or 3 friend's computers every year with massive malware infections such that they couldn't boot into Windows or open a browser without getting a string of pop-ups. And, so far, those computers have always had one thing in common - they are also just completely loaded with multiple anti-virus and anti-malware programs. I usually end up uninstalling 3 or 4 anti-malware/antivirus programs on their computers just to get it to a state where I can actually run a disk cleanup to get rid of what is on their systems.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  12. Gort Win User
    Running Kaspersky Internet Security and the free version of MalwareBytes. Haven't found anything to complain about... yet.

13. Recommended protection for W10?

Do you use default settings on Kaspersky Internet Security?

RubberDucky, Jul 27, 2016
  14. Gort Win User
    No, I've turned off some features, like Private Browsing and Safe Browser. I've also disabled the Firefox extension. A few other settings I've changed, too. But most of the settings are set as default.

15. Hi:

KIS2016 runs just fine with "default" settings (and even a bit stronger/tighter ones), alongside both MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium on my Win10 box.
    Out of habit more than anything else, I do set mutual exclusions between MBAM and KIS (although KIS knows to put MBAM into "Trusted" applications group).

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Recommended protection for W10?

1. Recommended protection for W10? - Similar Threads - Recommended protection W10

2. W10 Windows Defender Protection History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    W10 Windows Defender Protection History: Hi, is it possible to clear the "all recent items" list in "virus & protection/protection history" it currently lists 14 items of "protected memory access blocked" and 1 item of "protected folder access blocked" all low severity. I have tried various "solutions" but none have...
  3. W10 Windows Defender Protection History

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Windows Defender Protection History: Hi, is it possible to clear the "all recent items" list in "virus & protection/protection history" it currently lists 14 items of "protected memory access blocked" and 1 item of "protected folder access blocked" all low severity. I have tried various "solutions" but none have...
  4. Need recommendations for iPhone W10 photo/video software manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need recommendations for iPhone W10 photo/video software manager: Hi all - I really like the way Apple organizes my photos and videos on my iPhone using iOS. Problem is that the iCloud application for windows does not support these features - terrible. Therefore I need a quality program that can organize my iPhone photos and videos while...
  5. Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10: Good morning, Would appreciate if someone could recommend downloadable software that can compress and de-compress Windows files and audio/video files. Thank You * Moved from Office...
  6. Virus security protection with W10

Virus security protection with W10: I have a HP desktop that I bought in late December with Windows 10. The computer came with a trial version of Mcafee and the trial version expired earlier this month. While I can't be sure, I think I installed Quicken 05 and MS Office shortly thereafter I bought the computer....
  7. Virus security protection with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Virus security protection with W10: I have a HP desktop that I bought in late December with Windows 10. The computer came with a trial version of Mcafee and the trial version expired earlier this month. While I can't be sure, I think I installed Quicken 05 and MS Office shortly thereafter I bought the computer....
  8. Password protect a folder W10

Password protect a folder W10: Hi. looking for a password manager to protect a folder in my documents,Did some search and came across this one that I found on inserting password protect a folder into the search box top right. Does any one know anything about this software Please or any other similar...
  9. Need Proven Recommendations for W10 Start Menu replacements

Need Proven Recommendations for W10 Start Menu replacements: I also use Start10, here is what it look like:
  10. Any recommendations for a free USB password protection app?

Any recommendations for a free USB password protection app?: I have the latest version of Windows 10 Home Edition. I have a USB drive that I wish to protect with a password and I see online that there are numerous free options available. Do you have any recommendations? Also, do you think encryption is necessary if you have...