Windows 10: Recommended USB Drives for creating a Windows Install Drive

Discus and support Recommended USB Drives for creating a Windows Install Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Are there any specific recommended USB sticks (jump drives/flash drives, etc). I am looking fir Brands/Models. When I was troubleshooting a Kingston... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ITPro, Jun 29, 2016.

1. ITPro Win User

Recommended USB Drives for creating a Windows Install Drive

Are there any specific recommended USB sticks (jump drives/flash drives, etc). I am looking fir Brands/Models. When I was troubleshooting a Kingston Data Traveler II (the older silver slim ones that are USB 2.0), It took forever to get it correct. I know SanDisk also has many times some pre-installed software for encryption or the like.

Is there any consensus?

Regarding Recovery Media creating for a backup, and prior to considering clean installing (which I plan on doing)

Also, I bought a great new ASUS F555UA-EH71. The caveat is (and they don't advertise this) is that they do not provide any form of recovery media (no discs, no after purchase replacements, and no software on the laptop to make recovery discs. I called and they said I may could use Backtracker, however this is only compatible for Laptops that shipped with Windows 8.1. Laptops that shipped with Windows 10 cannot create recovery media, nor somehow extract the partition for a backup. Some have tried and run into a ton of permission errors and blocks of empty space.

Reviewing some Panther, DISM and Recovery logs after I refreshed the PC, it appears that the initial image that was placed at the factory was corrupted, as the logs are full of errors when I tried to "Refresh it" without blowing away everything.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I don't know of another company that does this. Dell places the files on their site.

Has anyone successfully dealt with ASUS?.

The only solution: Box up the laptop, send it to ASUS, and let them re-image the PC w/ the recovery media they have). Shipping responsibility is on the end user. 2 weeks time without your PC.

:)

ITPro, Jun 29, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 29, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 29, 2016
  4. Phone Man Win User

I have been using the SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB flash drive. It does have some software to create a vault but you don't have to use it.
    I have a bunch of 8GB units I got from Amazon at a great price.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 11, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    I have several including 2x Data traveler G4, 16 GB and Transcend 32 GB and was able to make any kind of boot/install disks with them. Making Windows to Go is another story.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommended USB Drives for creating a Windows Install Drive - Similar Threads - Recommended USB Drives

2. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create installation media on a USB drive?: Hello, I am trying to create installation media for a new PC on a USB. When I launch the media creation tool, I get all the way to the architecture specifics screen, when it tells me there is not enough room on my laptop, with no option to put it on the USB instead of the...
  3. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create installation media on a USB drive?: Hello, I am trying to create installation media for a new PC on a USB. When I launch the media creation tool, I get all the way to the architecture specifics screen, when it tells me there is not enough room on my laptop, with no option to put it on the USB instead of the...
  4. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  6. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  7. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  8. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?: Good morning, Prior to beginning I am making this post to ask a few questions concerning Brinks' tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html I am using an All-In-One HP Pavilion 23-g017c (x64) AMD A6-5200 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, running Windows 10,...
  9. Creating USB drive Windows 8

Creating USB drive Windows 8: Is there anyway to create Windows USB drive from another PC without knowing ADMIN password? 32104
  10. Creating USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating USB Recovery Drive: Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files. I had several BSODs after the initial install but...