Windows 10: Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10

Discus and support Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings, New to this forum....hope it's OK to post this here.....relates to installing Win10.... Have a little Fujitsu U820 laptop (from around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ArchiMark Win User

Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10

Greetings,

New to this forum....hope it's OK to post this here.....relates to installing Win10....

Have a little Fujitsu U820 laptop (from around 2009 I think...)

Has Atom Z530 CPU and 1GB RAM.

Had a 60GB HD in it but just replaced it with a 128GB SSD.

So, thought it a good time to start a new fresh OS install and then figure out best approach to moving to Win10.

I just used the Recovery disk to reinstall Vista on it.

Now my question is whether to go straight from here to installing Win 10 (just bought the disk...) or should I first install Win 7 or Win8 and then go to Win10?

[UPDATED INFO: Please note I do have Win7 & 8 install disks. Although I have used the keys already on other machines ]

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you for your input.

Mark

:)

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015

2. Issues with the activation of Windows 10 after the hardware change.

Eric

New motherboard=new computer=new license. Since there is no upgrade path from vista to win 10 and your win 7 is an upgrade, to use the same license you would need to install vista>upgrade to win 7>upgrade to win 10, or buy a win 10 key

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 9, 2015
  3. Installing windows 10 on a vista pc

There is no "upgrade path" from vista to win 10. You can boot from the ISO and start the clean install from it. You will of course have to re-install the apps etc.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Did a product key come with the disk? If so, then I would go straight to a clean install of Windows 10. You can upgrade Vista to Windows 7 - but you will need both the install media for Windows 7 and a product key. I can't remember if you can upgrade Vista to Windows 8 - again you would need a product key, the install media for Windows 8.1 is easy to get.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Are you sure Windows 10 will install and run on that computer?
    1GB is really not enough memory for it to run decently, even if it does install okay.
    Try it then if it does install, can you up the memory to 2GB?

Ztruker, Nov 9, 2015
  6. ArchiMark Win User
    No, it's one of those Recovery Disks that you use to recreate the factory like OS install and setup....

Understand that I can do upgrade from Vista to 7.....have done that before on other machines....

My question is about whether there is any advantage or disadvantage by taking an upgrade path to Win 10 or by going straight to Win 10 clean install from a Win 10 install disk.

Understand that ideally Win 10 should have more than 1GB.....

And unfortunately, this machine is limited to 1GB. No upgrade possible....

* Thanks to you both for your help and input!

** Please note that I updated my first post above to clarify that I have Win7 & 8 install disks besides the Win 10 disk I bought today. However, I've used the Win 7 & 8 keys already on other machines....

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    So the first step that you will have to do if you want an activated Windows 10 is to purchase a product key.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  8. ArchiMark Win User

Sorry don't understand.....

I bought the Win 10 install disk today as noted in my posts #1 and #4....while I haven't opened the package yet....(I left it in my office...), I assume like all other Windows install disks it comes with product key....if not, I'll be very unhappy..... *Confused

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I asked, did the disk come with a product key. You answered:
    "No, it's one of those Recovery Disks that you use to recreate the factory like OS install and setup...."

so, now I don't understand. Did you purchase a retail version of Windows 10 or not? If it is a full retail version, then there will be a product key. Your only option, since you don't have a useable Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key is to clean install Windows 10 with the product key that you purchased - if you purchased one.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  10. ArchiMark Win User
    Will try to clarify things again....

Sorry, thought you were asking me about the Fujitsu Recovery Disk that I used to get Windows Vista onto the new SSD that I just installed in my U820. I used this disk as it formats, partitions disk, then installs OS, drivers, and Fujitsu apps. So, you get machine back to state where it was when the box was opened....

A. I just purchased a retail version of Windows 10 today from the store. Left it at office (I'm at home now..). So, have not opened the package yet. I would hope there's a product key in the box after spending $120 plus sales tax....

B. I have a retail upgrade version of Win 7HP, but I've used the key on other machine.

C. I have a retail upgrade (I think....disk is at work) version of Win 8, but I've used the key on other machine.

Thanks for clarifying about my option to install Win 10 is to do a clean install. Actually, this is the way I typically have installed Windows on other machines in the past. Always seemed like the best way to do an OS install.

My question was really just to confirm whether or not going straight to Win 10 via a clean install is the best approach with this 'old machine' versus going through some sort of upgrade install process.

Hope this is clearer now.....

Thanks!

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have not used this myself - but you might want to consider saving hardware specific drivers from Windows Vista using DriverMax:
    DriverMax

Not all that old hardware may have drivers in Windows 10 and you can at least try the drivers from Vista, if the Fujitsu website does not have updated drivers for Windows 7 or 8 (that will usually work in Windows 10).

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  12. ArchiMark Win User
    Thanks for your help and the tip.....

Just checked Fujitsu support page....Win 7 drivers are available to download....

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  13. Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10

If you bought from a retail outlet then it may have a product key. That is one of the few ways to get a product key. If you bought from the Microsoft Store online and ordered the usb then I don't think it will have a product key. Microsoft is using digital entitlement in most scenarios and no product key is provided. A product key does appear in the system after installation. Digital entitlement works very differently than the traditional (and now disappearing) product key.

If you bought the full product package (FPP), called by Microsoft "Standalone copy", Windows 10 won't rely on any previous version of Windows, even if you choose to upgrade a Windows 7 or 8 installation. Only the free Get Windows 10 (GWX) upgrades require a previous version of Windows.

In general, the only legacy product keys that can be used to activate Windows 10 (in the free GWX scenario) are Windows 7 and 8 from the same computer you are installing 10 on or keys not used to activate another computer. I say "in General" because not all possible scenarios have been reported on. So if your Windows 7 and 8 keys are what you used to activate other computers you are still using you probably will not be able to use them again with Windows 10. I have tried it and it does not work.

It all depends on that Windows 10 "box" you have at home.

Here is a Microsoft document that explains when digital entitlement is used and when a product key are provided when you get Windows.

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
  14. ArchiMark Win User
    Thanks for your input and info, Cbarnhorst......

Again, as noted in prior posts:

I've been trying to determine whether there is any real benefit on a 6 year old laptop of doing 'Upgrade OS Installs' to eventually get Win 10 installed vs doing a 'Clean Install' of Win 10 from the getgo.

That's all I've been seeking input on....just wasn't sure if by doing the 'Win 10 Clean Install' from the beginning whether it would create any issues or a lot more effort to get drivers installed, etc, versus going the 'Upgrade from Win Vista or Win 7 to Win 10' approach......

Thanks...

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  15. If the laptop is not running 7 or 8 a clean install is the only way. There is no upgrade to XP or Vista permitted. If it is running 7 or 8 then it depends on what you are installing. If it is a retail copy you can clean install.

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10 - Similar Threads - Recommended Install Path

2. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  3. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  4. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.: I have one last PC still running Windows 10. Its system board does not support TPM, it can't go to Win 11. I am retired with a limited budget. As Win 10 support only last for the next three years, the OS that runs this last PC will be some distro of Linux before that date...
  5. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.: I have one last PC still running Windows 10. Its system board does not support TPM, it can't go to Win 11. I am retired with a limited budget. As Win 10 support only last for the next three years, the OS that runs this last PC will be some distro of Linux before that date...
  6. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win 10 install won’t go through BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 install won’t go through BSOD: I got a BSOD last night after a fresh install of Win 10 about a week ago. Now i cant see my HD. I have 2 ssds but nothing is letting the install go through. Im getting multiple errorsk mode not handled. Ive removed each set of ram to see if that was the problem. Not it....
  8. Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista

Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista: Hi. I bought new version of windows 10 home from Microsoft. It arrived as a usb stick. It will not install. It states that it can't install on current operating system.Vista. It says it can be booted from installation media. I do not know how to do this. I will admit to not...
  9. Win 10 Will Not Install

Win 10 Will Not Install: Hello to all. When I try to install Windows Ten over 8.1 on my Dell Xps 8500 it gets stuck at the welcome back screen. After I go back to 8.1 I get a small box that shows. 0XC1900101-0x40019 This installation failed in the Second_Boot phase with an error during OOBE...
  10. Win Vista to Windoze 10

Win Vista to Windoze 10: Is it possible, do I need to buy something, or maybe Bat.1 will give me cr-----k/key?*Sleepy*Sleepy 105707