Windows 10: Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should

Discus and support Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Details: ASUS M11AA desktop UEFI Running Win10 on an HDD, I disconnected the sata cable to it and tested out an SSD on a diff sata cable. Installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should

Details: ASUS M11AA desktop UEFI

Running Win10 on an HDD, I disconnected the sata cable to it and tested out an SSD on a diff sata cable. Installed 10 on that just for fun.

Took the SSD out, reconnected the HDD sata cable and it wont boot. The HDD is seen in the bios but in the boot menu it is not seen. I see items such as UEFI: Sandisk(my acronis usb stick), UEFI: P3 DVDRW, UEFI: Kingston(my win10 install usb stick), Windows Boot Manager but not UEFI: P2: Toshiba which im pretty sure is what my HDD was.

Windows Boot Manager goes to UEFI setup.

Any clues before I try Win10 repair from the Kingston stick?

:)

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 28, 2015

2. How to install Windows 10 to an SSD?

1. I have installed an SSD on my pc. When I open the pc, the following message shows: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media device and press a key. Is it normal not to see the HDD?

2. If I disconnect the HDD and install Windows 10 from a stick, and reconnect the HDD, shall I be able to see it too?

selaflaure, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Controlling BOOT drive after installing SSD with second HDD still onboard

I installed a Samsung 850EVO SSD on a Lenovo H50 desktop with WIN10, 1TB WD HDD, 12g Ram, 2g Nvdia gpu.

After a lot of learning about WIN not allowing HDD to be mirrored fully - no Boot. I disconnected HDD, booted from flash drive, reinstalled WIN10 on SSD and it became the boot drive. Upon reconnecting my HDD, it wants to take over as boot drive again.

I repeated the above. Wiped the HDD. Though disc restore repartitioned drive to original condition, it is for now, the data D: drive with primary and recover partitions, but not the Boot.

Is there a way to ensure it my SSD C: on Target 0 remains boot?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff C. Allen, Oct 28, 2015
  4. Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should

Hello FrostyWinnipeg Welcome to the Ten Forums!

If you are keeping the two flash drives plugged in try unplugging both to start or the San Disk in order to boot live from the Kingston. Instead of the Upgrade to Repair or slapping on another clean install you will first want to try a few things out like the Repair Startup tool and going to the Command prompt option run the DiskPart tool in order to have that list the drives with the List Disk command. Once you ID the correct drive and select that type in "active" to see the primary made bootable.

The other thing you may end up doing is double checking the data cable you unplugged to be sure that is all the way in at both ended and didn't jar loose at the board end by chance. You have need a can of compressed air to blast out any dust or debris that could have got lodged in as well.

Night Hawk, Oct 28, 2015
  5. Well I changed CSM option in the bios from AUTO to ENABLED and that worked. Not sure why but whatever.

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 28, 2015
  6. When putting the SSD did you make any change in setting at the time? That would explain why you are seeing immediate results when just going in now to make that change. At least you had a quick fix seen there! *Wink

Night Hawk, Oct 29, 2015
  7. No changes, a real stumper.

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 29, 2015
  8. Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should

I've had a few incidents? at times when dual booting OSs and changing boot orders as well as rearranging cables between drives where one time nothing would start and then next time you suddenly saw things running normally again. On one occasion I even had the host drive's cable plugged into one of the storage drives until deciding to mark numbers on each one to show which port it was going to. Your change of setting apparently made the bios search for Legacy not UEFI.

Night Hawk, Oct 29, 2015
  9. Well once again it happened. Pretty much same thing although when i changed CSM to Enabled from Auto nothing happened. Reset it to Auto and dug out the Win10 DVD and booted to that. Restarted at the first window where u select country and rebooted. A new item showed up in Boot Menu...Windows Boot Manager : (P1 Toshiba) and this got me into Windows.

Now the drive is UEFI why it shows up as P1 which would indicate legacy I dunno. Another solved/unsolved. Hopes it helps others.

FrostyWinnipeg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should

1. Reconnected HDD won't boot but it should - Similar Threads - Reconnected HDD won't

2. Xbox controller won't reconnect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox controller won't reconnect: I connect my Xbox series controller to my windows PC and it works fine for 15 minutes, but after that it disconnects and doesn't reconnect. I have tried looking through tons of forums that have a similar problem but none of them seem to help....
  3. Xbox controller won't reconnect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox controller won't reconnect: I connect my Xbox series controller to my windows PC and it works fine for 15 minutes, but after that it disconnects and doesn't reconnect. I have tried looking through tons of forums that have a similar problem but none of them seem to help....
  4. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  5. Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.

Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.: Hello everyone, I have been trying to figure this one out for some time now, but I just can't find any solution except getting a new HDD. Sometimes my PC will get stuck on spinny points boot screen. Even when trying to boot into the recovery mode it just gets stuck at a...
  6. Darik's Boot and Nuke won't clean the HDD!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Darik's Boot and Nuke won't clean the HDD!: Using Darik Boot and Nuke for my work (cleaning HDDs so we can put Linux Mint on it for 'new' PCs) but on some old HDDs DBnN will not clean them all, atleast halfway... Faulty HDDs (second-hand ones) orrrrrr............... 131011
  7. Darik's Boot and Nuke won't clean the HDD!

in Windows 10 Support
    Darik's Boot and Nuke won't clean the HDD!: Using Darik Boot and Nuke for my work (cleaning HDDs so we can put Linux Mint on it for 'new' PCs) but on some old HDDs DBnN will not clean them all, atleast halfway... Faulty HDDs (second-hand ones) orrrrrr............... 131011
  8. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....
  9. Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD: So this interesting. I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it. So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive. My box will...
  10. PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected: So my HDD of almost two years seem to be acting...weird lately. I checked it out with CrystalDiskInfo, and it didn't look good. [img] I searched the internet on what that means, and it looks like it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I can't get a new one at the...