Windows 10: Recover default windows program file assocation

Discus and support Recover default windows program file assocation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, is there a way to recover all my default program settings? I have made some mistakes and some settings arent working any moren for eg:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by soetie, Sep 6, 2015.

1. soetie Win User

Recover default windows program file assocation

Hi all,

is there a way to recover all my default program settings?
    I have made some mistakes and some settings arent working any moren

for eg: (i dont know if the link is accepted:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ociations.html

:)

soetie, Sep 6, 2015

2. Can't open ZIP files with Win10 built-in functionality

Good question. It isn't listed in Default Programs any more and we can't use the Control Panel method where it was. Try using a cmd window for its assoc and ftype commands. Here's what I see that way (via PowerShell)

PS>cmd /c assoc .zip

.zip=CompressedFolder

PS>cmd /c ftype CompressedFolder

CompressedFolder=%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L

BTW ftype CABFolder has exactly the same command line syntax. Perhaps this implies that we can rename .zip files to .cab files and have File Explorer open them as if they were .zip? Who knows?

Oh. I found it. It is "discoverable" after all. Set Defaults by App. File Explorer. Manage. Explorer.ZipSelection. Etc.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Sep 6, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Can't choose default program

NW, I can't understand why you cannot see this window . . .

There is an option to set the default application in Command Prompt:

You will need to get the exact locatonn of the Intellij executable before you start

Open Command Prompt as Administrator and

And then, for example:

assoc .txt=txtfile

ftype txtfile=c:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\notepad.exe "%1"

DaveM121, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  5. soetie Win User
    Thanks for.reply. Im sorry i have could also find it myself (shame)

Thanks for help

soetie, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recover default windows program file assocation - Similar Threads - Recover default program

2. Assoc command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assoc command: question. does the assoc command truly work powershell/cmd? i noticed that the icon does not change in my file explorer, nor do the files open with the program specified using the assoc command. i have to manually change it. does it adjust on a restart? im not positive...
  3. Assoc command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assoc command: question. does the assoc command truly work powershell/cmd? i noticed that the icon does not change in my file explorer, nor do the files open with the program specified using the assoc command. i have to manually change it. does it adjust on a restart? im not positive...
  4. Assoc command

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. assoc and ftype not updating file association completely in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    assoc and ftype not updating file association completely in windows 10.: assoc and ftype not updating file association completely in windows 10. My security camera produces a .265 file which I find I can play using VLC --demux h265 I had previously associated the files with the windows media player which didn't work and so I updated the...
  6. Changing the file type assocation for a file

Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  7. Program not assoc with app?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program not assoc with app?: What app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-not-assoc-with-app/8fd3d793-a771-4970-8698-38bf523a96ac
  8. Cortana - No Program Assoc. Error

Cortana - No Program Assoc. Error: When I go to turn on Cortana under System_Cortana & search_Customize Cortana & search settings, I get an error that reads: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an...
  9. Default program for .bin files

Default program for .bin files: Hi, I got an annoying problem. I accidently happened to make all my .bin files open with notepad. Ive tried to restore the default assocication of the .bin files through the default choice in control panel and also through regedit but without any success. Could someone...
  10. Default program files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Default program files.: Hi, before starting I'd like to say thanks to any of you that try to help me, I really appreciate it! This said, my problem is the following. Some programs (e.g. EMDB) when opened will create a folder with the same name as the program itself in my Documents folder. Is...