Windows 10: Recover encrypted files by virus

Discus and support Recover encrypted files by virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello people. A friend of mine brought his computer to me to see if I am able to clear an encrypted mess done by a virus. Is it possible to recover... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Dec 8, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Recover encrypted files by virus

Hello people.

A friend of mine brought his computer to me to see if I am able to clear an encrypted mess done by a virus. Is it possible to recover that encrypted data? I know it may be almost impossible due to the lack of private key but I have an app called rannohdecrypter (made by Kaspersky Labs I think) that it's able to decrypt files provided you have got any file in both encrypted/unencrypted form.

Any other ideas on how to proceed?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Dec 8, 2015

2. .cerber3 ransomware attack my files please help me with out paying to ransomware

hi

my files are converted as a extension of .cerber3 which is a encrypted virus and it has attack my files

please help me to decrypt this extension without paying a money to ransomware please help me to recover my files by decryption

thank you

mohamedshirajudeen, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    Getting file permission error when try access images on Windows 10

Seems as though you may have encrypted those files/folders at some point, perhaps inadvertently, or may have been done by a virus. If that is the case there is slim hope of recovering them without the original encryption key. There is some software you
    can try to recover the files with though. It isn't cheap but there is a trial version you could test on your files.

Advanced EFS Data Recovery | Elcomsoft Co.Ltd.

There may be more options out there but here are some links for decrypting files that were encrypted by virus:

CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Cryptolocker Virus Removal: How To Decrypt or Restore Encrypted Files And Remove Ransomware Malware For Free [VIDEO]

Good luck.

Ralf_G, Dec 8, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Depends on the variant, some of the locker viruses can be undone, others not so easily or at all. There are some keys published online for certain variants of locker viruses. Have a look here & doing a Google search on the type of locker virus may yield some results or databases with decryption keys.

Best to verify that the decrypter you are going to use is indeed made to handle that particular infection.

Locker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Borg 386, Dec 9, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    The virus is Cryptowall v3.0

I have recovered some files by digging in the filestructure. I have now some files both encrypted and decrypted. I wish there was some sort of decrypter ( la Rannohdecrypter made by Kaspersky) that would allow to decrypt your files by providing an encrypted/decrypted pair.

I will take a look at the link you posted. Thanks.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 9, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Hopefully this will aid in the decryption of the files. I wish you luck.

CryptoWall and HELP_DECRYPT Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Recovering Files Infected By CryptoLocker Or CryptoWall - Code42 Support

You might want to mention to your friend the benefits of having a system image in case this happens down the road. Keep it on a USB/HDD that is not connected to the PC/Lappy at all times. Keep several previous copies in case he inadvertently makes one with a virus. I know it doesn't help now, but in case it happens again, it can be a lifesaver for personal data.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Dec 9, 2015
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks. This shit is getting nastier every version released. v4.0 now even encrypts filenames.

It looks grim for this computer but tomorrow I am doing a full partition backup, remove any traces of virus, and give lockerunlocker a try.

I am having extra trouble because the pc is quite old (P4 2003) and it's running WinXP. There are also at least five different partitions among two physical hard drives and it's all quite messy to be honest.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 9, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Oh, bad situation. So sorry about this.
    It's my understanding that the Cryptowall virus makes a copy of the file, encrypts it, then deletes the original. You may be able to get some of the files back using recovery software. However, the more you use the computer, the less likely you are to recover any files. I would remove the drive, hook it up on a USB adapter and run a recovery program (or two) on it after you make a copy of that partition. Oh, and I would recommend making a Macrium Reflect Clone, using Forensic Sector Copy, which will copy everything - even the stuff that's been deleted and is invisible to the system. Then you will have access to anything that is recoverable using a recovery program, saved as well. @Borg 386 gave you some very good links there. The guys at Bleeping Computer are your best bet for help with this. Good luck - you're gonna need it!

simrick, Dec 10, 2015
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes. I have been able to recover some folders with photos using this method. In the end I have just repartitioned and reformatted it. It was really a mess, and Cryptowall wasn't the only infection present.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 10, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Did the rannohdecrypter work then?

I guess they would be a bit dumb to encrypt everything the same way...

11. Borg 386 Win User
    Glad you got some of it back. Yeah, sounds like a mess. Don't ya love it *Tongue

I love when someone gives me a lappy & asks if I can fix it, I bring it home, fire it up & all I see is a black screen with a blinking cursor. Don't laugh, it's happened a few times *Mad*Rolleyes

Borg 386, Dec 10, 2015
  12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    No. There isn't any decryptor currently available for CrytoWall (Cryptodefense) virus. I tried several of them but they all threw some error messages at me.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 11, 2015
  13. simrick Win User

Update:
    The CryptoWall v4 is sneaky now, in that, after deleting the original file, it puts the new, encrypted file in the exact sector where the original was deleted. This makes it very difficult to recover the original deleted file.

Interestingly, there appear to be certain regions where it does not wish to attack, and if it detects these languages, it will not infect the computer: Russian, Kazakh, Ukrainian, Uzbek, Belarusian, Azeri, Armenian, Kyrgyz, Georgian.

It is also using drive-by-download techniques and the Angler Exploit Kit, which means that you can be infected simply by visiting an infected website; malicious code is executed via hidden iFrame(s) after identifying unpatched programs/browsers/add-ons, and injected into svchost.exe, bypassing the UAC when deleting all Shadow Copies if you are using an account with administrative privileges, and thus tricking many AVs in the process.

ref: Security Alert: Angler Exploit Kit Spreads CryptoWall 4.0 via New Drive-By Campaign - Heimdal Security Blog

ref: Cisco Talos Blog: Threat Spotlight: CryptoWall 4 - The Evolution Continues

simrick, Dec 11, 2015
  14. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks for the info simrick.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 11, 2015
  15. simrick Win User
    *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recover encrypted files by virus - Similar Threads - Recover encrypted files

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. .HOOP Virus encrypted Files.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .HOOP Virus encrypted Files.: hi everybody!!!! i used .HOOP Virus encrypted Files at my exterdenal hard disk... nothing happened,i use any other programs,eg spy hunter,but i have to buy the key i use the HOOP Virus encrypted Files programm although my pc is not affected any more,my system is clear ,i use...
  5. how to recover Ransomeware encrypted files?

how to recover Ransomeware encrypted files?: how to remove ransomewares?How to decrypt files encrypted by ransomeware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-ransomeware-encrypted-files/e7beee25-34f7-4ef1-8d45-e846e35763d4
  6. How to recover an encrypted file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover an encrypted file.: Through an act of folly on my part, I damaged my Windows 10 Pro OS. I was able to recover it to the factory settings. There is a file on an external hard drive which contains sensitive data so I encrypted it. The file is intact as it was protected from my error, but I cannot...
  7. How to recover an encrypted file.

How to recover an encrypted file.: Through an act of folly on my part, I damaged my Windows 10 Pro OS. I was able to recover it to the factory settings. There is a file on an external hard drive which contains sensitive data so I encrypted it. The file is intact as it was protected from my error, but I cannot...
  8. How to recover an encrypted file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. .HOOP Virus encrypted Files.

.HOOP Virus encrypted Files.: Guys I have the hoop virus, But I reset my pc after some tension, now the files are encrypted nothing seems to work online articles. Now what should I do, please help its frustrating....
  10. recovering encrypted file

recovering encrypted file: My PC was attacked by .coot ransomware, which encrypted all of my files. Is there any way to recover the files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/recovering-encrypted-file/2af2e310-cfcb-4cdb-8321-ac4cb1d0fb3e