Windows 10: Recover lost partitions and data

Discus and support Recover lost partitions and data in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I appreciate the help with this issue. I did something stupid, I freely admit that. Now I need help to fix the problem. My laptop running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MountainDoc, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Recover lost partitions and data

I appreciate the help with this issue. I did something stupid, I freely admit that. Now I need help to fix the problem. My laptop running Windows 10 updated to the latest build and would not boot. I kept getting Missing boot manager missing. Eventually I removed the drive and replaced it with my backup clone but that backup is missing a week of a lot of work so I was hooked the original laptop drive to my pc.
    Short story, I confused the laptop drive with another disc I a, working on and went into admin tools, storage, and deleted the three partitions on the laptop drive.
    Since I have tried to recover the partitions with Acronis Disc Manager but the volumes it identifies do not fit. There are three partitions. The primary, the HP recovery and the HP Tools. Total disc is 465GB. The primary partition is 452.
    The results I get have seven or eight partitions sizing various sizes between 190 - 350 GB. They all seem to intersect.
    i them tried the free EaseUS app which lists multiple versions of every file ever deleted.
    Is there any easy way to do this? I still would need to fix the original problem regardless.
    Thank you for any input.

:)

MountainDoc, Feb 26, 2016

2. Hard Disk Partitions Removed on PC Reboot

Thanks for the help. I hadn't made a system restore point but I recovered my data via a third party data recovery tool by recovering data from lost partitions.

Khubaib Afzal 99, Feb 26, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Undo effects of Clean command

Hi Rudolfo, Recuva is OK for recovering a couple of files, but not much more . . .

You are going to have to use a good 3rd party software to recover the partition and its data on that drive . . .

EaseUS does a really good job at recovering after using the Clean command in Diskpart . . .

They do have a free version of their software and that is the only version I am allowed to recommend here, so have a look at that software and see if it can help you recover your data . . .

https://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-deleted...

DaveM121, Feb 26, 2016
  4. Recover lost partitions and data

Hello MountainDoc Welcome to the Ten Forums!

What you may well be seeing there is often referred to as "Phantoms" or falsely positive ghosting type volumes when try to scanning for missing volumes. boot sectors, etc. Some information about that is provided by a recovery program called ZAR you can look over at Partition recovery - understanding and recovering partitions.

EaseUS however is a much more familiar program that offers a free version as well as the usual paid for you can download from Free Data Recovery Software Download to Recover Deleted Files - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition

Many on the forums here as well as the sibling forums at EightForums, SevenForms, VistaForums, and the PC Help Forums will recommend that one quite often. Personally I have been looking at the Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition here as well as their other programs. Sometimes it might take more then one in order to see a full recovery as far as the data you are trying to rescue. At other times especially with a drive failing you might take the drive to to a data recovery service or repair shop with that option.

Lately when going to use a 4yr. old 7 laptop upgraded to 10 the first thought of the integrated graphics chip on the board going was a thought and not finding the information on how to clear the bios I ordered a larger replacement hard drive and put that in in case the original drive stuffed which apparently it did! When putting in a usb enclosure the led lights up to show power coming in from the usb port but no device connect sound heard as you would with an external hard drive enclosure when turning the ac power on/off switch on and the drive inside is detected indicating the drive went!

Besides a possible flaky upgrade that went bad on you the likelihood of the drive failing on you can't be ruled out either! That seems to be a more commonly seen problem with laptop drives due to how frail those tend to be in comparison to the larger 3.5" drives you see in desktops. The fact that a 500gb drive is seeing 8 partitions out of the blue does seem to point that way as a failing drive loaded with bad sectors will act strangely until it goes doa on you!

Night Hawk, Feb 26, 2016
  5. Slartybart, Feb 26, 2016
  6. Thanks for those replies! In regards to the disc being bad, that may be but it is a Samsung 850 EVO that is about six months old. I decided to pay for the EaseUS program. I ran the free trial first and it listed 1799 GB of previously deleted data. On a 500 GB drive. The nice feature was being able to select the files I wanted back and ignore the rest. Once recovered I transferred them to a separate drive, formatted the original drive and made of a clone of the clone running the laptop. Popped it back in the laptop and it's working. After running Windows update I need to make a new backup clone. I wonder if I make a clone from a clone of a clone if it's starts to degrade. i.e. Micheal Keaton in multiplicity.

MountainDoc, Feb 26, 2016
  7. Clones TaKe 4 EV errrrrr while full images can be seen in 20-35minutes on average depending on the size of the OS drive and how much is on it. Here I came cross to seeing one of the OS drives bind up from the lack of space. I cleared off some desktop recording made to free up quite a bit of space in order to solve that fast!

When first going to look at 10 having skipped over 8.1 entirely and one bad experience trying to dual boot with the 8 CP lead me to trying cloning the 7 host/boot drive which is now the secondary OS drive having switched the data cables around and ran the first few failed upgrade attempts not knowing at first I needed to unplug the pair of Sata 3 1tb storage/backup drives where the boot files ended up on the second of the pair while the temporary install folders ended on the first of the two! After a clean install of 7 was then seen not wanting to see the 7 original touched at all I then read the clean install guide and oops! then say the first upgrade go on!

Still able to use Acronis True Image Home Ediiton 2010 on 10 Yee haaa!!! I avoided the need to buy Acronis TI 2015 or 2016 which some call Bloated?! These also used older versions of Acronis and now find the latest cluttered. But Acronis does one thing the Windows backup option won't. The system image created is compressed down in size to save on disk space while MS assumes you have all the space in the world to work with??? Sorry not everyone images machines over a corporate network!

Hopefully the full version of EaseUS will get you going again. But with having more then one drive onhand rather then scheduled backups which can be indiscriminate on how much drive space gets taken up manually backing each file or folder as you go along onto a separate drive as well as any folder(s) outside of the users, Program Files, Program Files(x86) on 64bit Windows only folders are stuffed into the Windows.old while the rest are still found intact with clean installs as well as upgrade to repair type installs unless the drive gets refomatted or fails.

The dual backup method of seeing the same stuff on the C stashed away however prevents the type of loss you have going on there by seeing each thing duplicated! Here I had one drive backing up the primary storage/backup drive until 10 came along and I ended up replacing the pair of 1tb Sata 3s with a pair of Sata II server class 2tb heavy duty drives. System images 10 ISOs, and anything else being backed up is generally found intact when the OS drive can be totally wiped clean even! That prevents total losses while the option for Clod(Cloud) storage *Eek*chuckle is generally out for most home pc users.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recover lost partitions and data

1. Recover lost partitions and data - Similar Threads - Recover lost partitions

2. Recover lost partitions with changed partition order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover lost partitions with changed partition order: At first I used my old laptop hard disk as an external hard disk and it functioned normally, but when I put it back into the laptop the hard disk was not detected and it turned out the partition was missing and became unallocated, there should have been 2 partitions.I was...
  3. Recover lost partitions with changed partition order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover lost partitions with changed partition order: At first I used my old laptop hard disk as an external hard disk and it functioned normally, but when I put it back into the laptop the hard disk was not detected and it turned out the partition was missing and became unallocated, there should have been 2 partitions.I was...
  4. Recover lost partitions with changed partition order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Help recovering lost windows partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help recovering lost windows partition.: I installed ubuntu on a laptop which was running windows 11. It has a 500 gb single nvme ssd. I shrink and created 30 gb of free space and installed ubuntu in it. But i cannot log into windows now windows partition is lost. I saw some videos created a windows installation usb...
  6. How to recover lost partition data

How to recover lost partition data: When I was trying to solve this:I do thisWhich deleted all my partition but I stopped here and do not install windows.Is there any way to recover my data or partition?It is very important for me.Please help anyone....
  7. Recovering a Lost Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering a Lost Partition: Hi all, I am hoping you can help me with the following issue relating to partitions in Windows 10: I recently had the need to create a recovery drive using Windows 10. When I read the instructions on this, they stated that when I initiated the recovery drive process,...
  8. Recovering Lost Partitions

Recovering Lost Partitions: I had recently lost some of my disc partitions due to some error while dual booting with an Ubuntu OSwhich is also inaccessible now. These lost partitions are not accessible from the Windows disc management application and even though they are unallocated spaces, I am unable...
  9. Data Lost! How to recover?

Data Lost! How to recover?: I have recently upgrade my Windows 10 to 18309 pre build my photos of one folder have been lost not opening But all files are there! Only not opening Video shoing this error 0x80004005 and photos shhows"we are unable to open this file! Space is also full but only files are...
  10. How can i recover lost partition and data in it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can i recover lost partition and data in it: I was running win 7 with 4 partitions , thought to upgrade to win 10. While installing it didn't allowed me to install. I thought i can run diskpart clean on one partition, selected one volume and ran clean command, but it still cleaned all the partitions. Long story short, I...