Windows 10: Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure.

Discus and support Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My friend has been using AutoCAD on fairly new Windows 10 install. No problems till today when he got an error stating he needed to reinstall the OS. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mango, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mango Win User

Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure.

My friend has been using AutoCAD on fairly new Windows 10 install. No problems till today when he got an error stating he needed to reinstall the OS. I didn't see the error before he shut down. To be safe he pulled his hard drive and asked me to backup his personal files using a USB enclosure, before reinstalling OS.No problem right? I've done this for other people many times in older OSs, but this is the first time I've seen Windows 10 file structure. I plugged in the drive and found that I can't access files in the OS partition. I can't crack it. Basically, it can't get the rights to see files there. I actually plugged the enclosure into an old XP computer I had laying around and was able to see some folders and files, but no personal files.
    Can any of you help me understand where his files are located on the drive and how I can access them?
    Thanks!

:)

mango, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Vhiran Win User

0xc000000f error - Unable to start PC and restore system

Thank you for your reply. I'll definitely keep it in mind, but in the meanwhile, would you (or someone else) perhaps have any other options I might use? I have neither a USB enclosure nor any experience with USB enclosures. I'm also hardly tech savvy and
    really not comfortable with actually physically opening up and taking things out of my computer.

Vhiran, Sep 28, 2015
  3. 0xc000000f error - Unable to start PC and restore system

I would remove the hard disk, install it in a USB enclosure, recover your files then format it then try reinstalling Windows 10.

How to Recover Data from a Hard Drive that Won't Boot - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/recover-data-n...

Andre Da Costa, Sep 28, 2015
  4. donetao Win User

donetao, Sep 28, 2015
  5. mango Win User
    I did discover that my problems stemmed from a rights issue. I had not given myself access to the OS partition.

I found this article: Failed To Enumerate Objects In The Container
    and made the changes I needed and now it appears to be working.

Thanks anyway for your help.

mango, Sep 28, 2015
  6. donetao Win User
    Your welcome! Thanks for posting your solution. I'm sure it will help other members!

donetao, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recover personal files from hard drive using USB enclosure. - Similar Threads - Recover personal files

2. Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure: Hello All Wanted to format a Hard drive in external enclosure, and swap out a very old drive in Mom's Desktop machine, ((No room for SSD in that system unforuately, Older HP P6-2133W AMD A6-3620 Desktop) Anyways dummy me started the task on Secondary Gaming Laptop PC, so far...
  3. Boot using old hard drive to recover files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Boot using old hard drive to recover files: Hi guys,I have an ACER Aspire E1-572G Laptop.It is installed with Original windows 8.1 and was upgraded to W10 Home.Recently i sent the laptop for repair.So, the tech take out my 1 TB HDD untouched and put new 250 GB SSD and install new windows in it.Afterwards i personally...
  4. Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive.

Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive.: Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive. Please can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-copy-files-from-personal-onedrive-account/d11ee721-b971-44d9-a81e-e7b3f520af55
  5. Recovering games from hard drives

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Recovering games from hard drives: So ive just reinstalled windows 10 on my SSD boot drive. I had all my games from the xboxbeta app on another internal hard drive but when i reinstalled the app all my games were gone and i could not find them. how would i recover my games from these hard drives so i dont have...
  6. Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive: When restoring my Acer Spin from the recovery USB it runs to about 57% and the gives an error. The SrtTrail.txt shows the following at the end: Root Cause Found Boot Manager is missing or corrupt Repair action: File repair Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2 How do I...
  7. Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive

Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive: Hi there. Since my desk top PC, running Windows 10, started misbehaving a couple of years ago I've been using a laptop for day to day work. I've given up on the old desktop and now want to recover various files - music, photos and Office documents from the 1TB WD Elements...
  8. How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive

How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive: Hi all, Accidentally ran the following command prompt, the purge switch seems removed all my files a level up on folder, robocopy D:\X-folder G:\Y-folder\ /s /purge /xj /np /tee /r:0 /w:0 /mt:32 /xf desktop.ini /log:logbkup_x240_downloads.txt Any suggestion for recovery...
  9. USB 3.0 Hard drive enclosure stalling at random moments.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 Hard drive enclosure stalling at random moments.: I bought an Inateck USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure to use with a SATA hard drive as a backup. I used it to put system image backups of my main C drive on (using Windows Backup and Restore, as well as Macrium Reflect). During one backup session with Windows Backup and Restore,...
  10. How do I view pics from hard drive thats in a hard drive USB enclosure

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I view pics from hard drive thats in a hard drive USB enclosure: I have a hard drive off of a non-working laptop that had Windows 10 on it. I am just wanting to get some files off of the hard drive instead of repairing the laptop since it's fairly old. I have put the hard drive into a USB hard drive enclosure and plugged it into my Windows...