Windows 10: Recover unallocated space on data disk

Discus and support Recover unallocated space on data disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on a new PC, with OS on Samsung 950 PRO. For data disk, at this stage, I use a Samsung 840 PRO which I transferred from my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by turboman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. turboman Win User

Recover unallocated space on data disk

I installed Windows 10 on a new PC, with OS on Samsung 950 PRO. For data disk, at this stage, I use a Samsung 840 PRO which I transferred from my old 8.1 PC.

The data disk now shows in diskmanagment 351MB unallocated space, and 119 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition).
    How can I reclaim the 351MB unallocated to get maximum capacity of the data disk?
    Maybe this a standard case of repartitioning, but I am not familiar with that and do not know how to do it.
    Thanks for the help.

:)

turboman, Nov 27, 2015

2. Hard Drive space much smaller than it should be

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

In Disk Management, check to see if there is any unallocated space next to 32 GB space of the external.

If there is, right click the 32 GB space then click Extend.

Follow the on screen space then recover the additional space.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 27, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Lost all my data on my harddrive

There is plenty of software that will bring back the unallocated space without data loss -

HERE
    is another one called Mini-Tool Free . . .

DaveM121, Nov 27, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Case 1:
    If the 351 GB unallocated partition is on the right of the 119GB primary partition then:
    right click on the 119GB partition->extend volume.
    Case 2:
    If the 351GB is on the left of the 119GB primary partition then:
    • Create a primary partition for 351GB by right click on it->Create Simple and follow the screen to create a primary partition, format, assign a letter..
    • Move all data from the 119GB partition to the newly created 351GB Partition
    • Right click on 119GB -> Delete Volume
    • Right click on the 351GB -> Extend Volume.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Click on the 119GB partition, click on move/resize, expand the partition to fill the unallocated space. Does not matter if the empty space is to the right or left of the partition with this program. Click apply, let the computer restart for partition wizard to change the size of the system partition.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Woa! Doing as you say in Case 2 would delete the Windows partition and make system unbootable! Thankfully Windows won't let you do anything on the system partition from Disk Management.

Case 2: If the empty space is on the left (unlikely), then use a partitioning utility such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to move the large partition at the start of the disk and then extend it to take all disk.

But if we are talking about 350MB (MEGAbytes, not GIGAbytes), then this is too small by today's standards to bother. Moving all data to the start of the disk involves copying all data and as you can imagine it will take all day! Too trouble for nothing... I would just ignore it. On the other hand, if you are at case 1 (unallocated space on the right), then it will take a few seconds to extend the large partition to take all disk, as there is no need to move any data.

spapakons, Nov 27, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just noticed it was 350mb and not GB Recover unallocated space on data disk :). But, still, why are you talking about moving any partitions? As long as the 350mb empty is next to the 119GB partition, on either side, there is no need to move the 119GB partition anywhere. It just gets expanded into the free space. If the 350mb empty space is before (in front of) the 119GB partition then partition wizard will only update move the Master File Table. If the 350mb empty space is after (behind) the 119GB partition, then partition wizard will just update the MFT to make the free space available for file storage.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

I haven't tried that recently with modern tools, but old utilities such as Partition Magic had to copy all data to the start of the disk when you "moved" (extended) the partition to take unallocated space on the left. This would take more than an hour to complete and it is certainly not worth it for just 350MB. Probably modern apps can extend the partition without moving the data (haven't done, so I don't know). I just gave a warning not to waste his time for just 350MB.

spapakons, Nov 27, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    LOL, nice catch. Things were going astray for a moment there! Definitely agree with your advice in any event,

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recover unallocated space on data disk - Similar Threads - Recover unallocated space

2. recover xls data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recover xls data: is there any way to extract cell content from a corrupted excel file, formulas can always be reentered but if there is a way of getting text and results in cells that would be great...
  3. Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space: How do I get my unallocated space to the C drive. (see attached picture) I can't expand the C partition because its grayed out. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-partition-unallocated-space/0fdfabb6-2221-4dcb-a4e0-bc2a51ce8917"
  4. Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk: In preparation of installing an Intel Optane Memory Module one of the requirements(see attached requirements) is to have an unallocated space of at least 5MB at the end of the disk. Currently I have 550MB of unallocated space on the drive I will be using the Intel Optane...
  5. How to consume Unallocated space on HD

How to consume Unallocated space on HD: Here is a picture of my Disc 0: [img] How can I use Unallocated space and all not needed partitions including J? This is where I have my C drive and I like to make it as big as possible. Thanks 105820
  6. Recover data from RAW disk?

Recover data from RAW disk?: Hello all! I had Windows 10 Enterprise on a ssd 480gb sandisk ultra II but It's corrupted, I can't even launch Windows or repair tools. I've managed to run repair tools and get a command prompt, as diskpart says, my disk is on a raw partition now, and it shows the...
  7. Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?

Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?: Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm. 26991
  8. Combine Unallocated space to System Partition

Combine Unallocated space to System Partition: Greetings all, I had 2 useless partitions, one at the very beginning of my HD and the second at the very end. My setup is GPT Basic btw. I would like to know, using MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.1, if it is possible to merge these former partitions (now...
  9. unallocated space during install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unallocated space during install: When I i nstall win 10 from usb. My 4Tb barracuda is choppes in 2. See the image attached. [img] Drive 0 unallocated space 2047 gb Drive 0 unallocated space 1678 gb Why I don't see drive 0 2047 and 1678 into 1 unallocated space and install it. 86870
  10. fix unallocated space mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fix unallocated space mistake: My daughter asked me to do a fresh install of win 10 on her win7 Samsung laptop but I installed it in the unallocated space without pressing the new button which I now know sets primary and system partitions. I then transferred all her data, music, photo, and videos from...