Windows 10: Recover unallocated space on data disk

Discus and support Recover unallocated space on data disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on a new PC, with OS on Samsung 950 PRO. For data disk, at this stage, I use a Samsung 840 PRO which I transferred from my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by turboman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. turboman Win User

Recover unallocated space on data disk

I installed Windows 10 on a new PC, with OS on Samsung 950 PRO. For data disk, at this stage, I use a Samsung 840 PRO which I transferred from my old 8.1 PC.

The data disk now shows in diskmanagment 351MB unallocated space, and 119 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition).
    How can I reclaim the 351MB unallocated to get maximum capacity of the data disk?
    Maybe this a standard case of repartitioning, but I am not familiar with that and do not know how to do it.
    Thanks for the help.

:)

turboman, Nov 27, 2015

2. Hard Drive space much smaller than it should be

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

In Disk Management, check to see if there is any unallocated space next to 32 GB space of the external.

If there is, right click the 32 GB space then click Extend.

Follow the on screen space then recover the additional space.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 27, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Lost all my data on my harddrive

There is plenty of software that will bring back the unallocated space without data loss -

HERE
    is another one called Mini-Tool Free . . .

DaveM121, Nov 27, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Case 1:
    If the 351 GB unallocated partition is on the right of the 119GB primary partition then:
    right click on the 119GB partition->extend volume.
    Case 2:
    If the 351GB is on the left of the 119GB primary partition then:
    • Create a primary partition for 351GB by right click on it->Create Simple and follow the screen to create a primary partition, format, assign a letter..
    • Move all data from the 119GB partition to the newly created 351GB Partition
    • Right click on 119GB -> Delete Volume
    • Right click on the 351GB -> Extend Volume.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Click on the 119GB partition, click on move/resize, expand the partition to fill the unallocated space. Does not matter if the empty space is to the right or left of the partition with this program. Click apply, let the computer restart for partition wizard to change the size of the system partition.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Woa! Doing as you say in Case 2 would delete the Windows partition and make system unbootable! Thankfully Windows won't let you do anything on the system partition from Disk Management.

Case 2: If the empty space is on the left (unlikely), then use a partitioning utility such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to move the large partition at the start of the disk and then extend it to take all disk.

But if we are talking about 350MB (MEGAbytes, not GIGAbytes), then this is too small by today's standards to bother. Moving all data to the start of the disk involves copying all data and as you can imagine it will take all day! Too trouble for nothing... I would just ignore it. On the other hand, if you are at case 1 (unallocated space on the right), then it will take a few seconds to extend the large partition to take all disk, as there is no need to move any data.

spapakons, Nov 27, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just noticed it was 350mb and not GB Recover unallocated space on data disk :). But, still, why are you talking about moving any partitions? As long as the 350mb empty is next to the 119GB partition, on either side, there is no need to move the 119GB partition anywhere. It just gets expanded into the free space. If the 350mb empty space is before (in front of) the 119GB partition then partition wizard will only update move the Master File Table. If the 350mb empty space is after (behind) the 119GB partition, then partition wizard will just update the MFT to make the free space available for file storage.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

I haven't tried that recently with modern tools, but old utilities such as Partition Magic had to copy all data to the start of the disk when you "moved" (extended) the partition to take unallocated space on the left. This would take more than an hour to complete and it is certainly not worth it for just 350MB. Probably modern apps can extend the partition without moving the data (haven't done, so I don't know). I just gave a warning not to waste his time for just 350MB.

spapakons, Nov 27, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    LOL, nice catch. Things were going astray for a moment there! Definitely agree with your advice in any event,

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recover unallocated space on data disk - Similar Threads - Recover unallocated space

2. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  3. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  4. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?: Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location D: which held my day to day files and photos etc. The idea being that all my apps and OS live on C: and D: would be my...
  6. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?: Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location D: which held my day to day files and photos etc. The idea being that all my apps and OS live on C: and D: would be my...
  7. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unallocated disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated disk space: [ATTACH] After installing Windows 10 Pro for the first time I notice that I'm missing disk D. I tried ''New Simple Volume'' on unallocated disk but doesn't work. I would appreciate your help. Thanks!...
  9. Recover Unallocated Disk Space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover Unallocated Disk Space: How can I recover 15.18GB of unallocated space shown below: [ATTACH] preferably using Disk Management or cmd but not 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-unallocated-disk-space/fab332ab-883e-4f73-8645-d70c16d8728b
  10. Unallocated Disk Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Disk Space: I recently bought a small laptop to do admin work while out-of-town. The computer came in with a 100 MB partition allocated to Recovery. That didn't leave me enough room for a Windows upgrade. There was nothing in the partition so I created an external Recovery, deleted the...