Windows 10: recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?

Discus and support recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If this question has been addressed elsewhere, please direct me there. I have a duel hard drive, dual boot system. Before upgrading to Win10, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KnightHorse, Jun 2, 2016.

1. recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?

If this question has been addressed elsewhere, please direct me there.

I have a duel hard drive, dual boot system. Before upgrading to Win10, I purchased a Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive. I cloned my Win7 HHD drive to the SSD. I then deleted different items on each of the drives based on what I was going to use the drive for. (Games and General Purpose computing) Next, I updated the general purpose HHD to Win10, intending to dual boot Win7 SSD for games.

After upgrading the HHD drive to Win10, I discovered that the Windows 7 OS installed on my SSD was declared invalid by Microsoft and would not boot. I called Microsoft and was told I needed my win7 install key. I recently moved and cannot find my win7 installation disk.

I have Belarc installed on both drives. Is there any way to recover the CD key from the windows 7 drive even though it will not boot?

:)

KnightHorse, Jun 2, 2016
  2. Coxwain Win User

WIN10 /WIN7 Dual boot, WIN7 forced to upgrade to win10, now I can only boot to Primary WIN10 drive

I have a WIN10 install on a 256 SSD (DRIVE 2)

and had a win7 install on a 1tb WD Black HD (DRIVE 5)

My primary boot was WIN10 (D2) and always had the option of picking wich drive to boot to on start up.

I was recently forced to upgrade my WIN7 (D5) to WIN 10. It completed the update and I was using the opperating system on my 1 tb HD and it was working fine. Then I shut off the computer and came back about 4 days later and I couldnt boot to my second
    win10 install. (there may have been an update to the win10 before I shut it down)

I went into boot up options and selected the 2nd win10(win7) Drive 5 as primary boot and it reverted back to the original win 10(drive 2) boot.

What is the best way to have a dual boot win10 system and how can I change my boot up options so that I can continue to choose the boot up drive?

WIthout a doubt the upgrade Win7 drive is still there and can be used, but there must be a boot settings that is preventing it from being accessed.

If i am not allowed to have a dual boot WIN10/Win10 machine, can I revert back to WIN7 on the upgraded drive?

Also, original WIN10 install was from a win8 upgrade, 2nd one is from a win7 upgrade, both fully registered versions of WINdows.

Much apprecaited

Coxwain, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Is it safe to increase the size of my System Reserved partition in a Win7/Win10 dual boot?

I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 in a dual-boot state (Win10 installed after Win7, both on different drives); but my Win7 installation does not create a separate
    System Reserved partition. I assume that all Win10 files which are stored in a
    System Reserved partition are stored in the System Reserved partition created by Win7...

...But there is one problem: As a stand-alone OS, Win10 creates a 500MB
    System Reserved partition, and my Win7 System Reserved partition is only 100MB, and my dual-boot Win10 installation is using or sharing the Win7
    System Reserved partition, since it was created first.

Here's the dual-boot screen:

recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys? [​IMG]

Here's the dual-boot setup in Win10:

And here is the dual-boot setup in Win7:

Given a test run, I discovered that, with Win7 and Win10 on your machine, you can't have 2 separate
    System Reserved partitions (one on the Win7 drive and one on the Win10 drive), because upon boot of one OS or the other, errors, blue screens and the need to repeatedly check the disks for consistency have the potential to corrupt either one OS or
    both.

Since my assumption is that the Win7/Win10 dual-boot setup shares the same
    System Reserved
    partition, is it safe to increase the size of this partition to 600MB (100MB for Win7 + 500MB for Win10), especially with the possibility that Win10 may dump enough files into this partition to completely fill or overwhelm the original
    100MB that was created with the Win7 installation? I have Acronis Disk Director 12, which can resize any volume, before or after the OS partition.

CookyMonzta, Jun 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?

NavyLCDR, Jun 3, 2016
Thema:

recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?

1. recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys? - Similar Threads - recover win7 drive

2. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  3. New install of win10 doesn't recognise older win7 drive for dual boot?

New install of win10 doesn't recognise older win7 drive for dual boot?: Hi Everyone. The time is closing in where Developers/programs like Adobe PS are phasing out older O/S for new versions. I have a great Win7 machine Asus p9x79pro with 32gb ram and 6 hard-drives. In the above event, I thought it would be a good idea to have both Win7 on one...
  4. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  5. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives: Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10. I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of installs over the years along with low level customizations. To me, it probably would be best to do a clean install of Win10 on a...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives

Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives: I have win10 installed and running and I’d like to create a dual boot by restoring an image that I made of my old win7 system immediately before upgrade to win10 and then doing a clean install on a new SSD. I realize that I will need to buy a win7 key and I plan to use an OEM...
  9. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. deleted dual boot 2 drive