Windows 10: Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7

Discus and support Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I updated to W10 from W7 last year, when you could do it for free, and, as far as I know, my official W10 key got stored in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PabloViGar, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7

Hello everyone,

I updated to W10 from W7 last year, when you could do it for free, and, as far as I know, my official W10 key got stored in my motherboard.
    Today, I wanted to format my PC but accidentally installed W7 instead of W10.
    I want to upgrade to W10 so I am creating an image and so. My question is: is there any way so I can get my W10 official key back?
    I have tried using key recovery software but it only gets the W7 key.

Thank you.

:)

PabloViGar, Aug 16, 2017

2. Recover Win7 Retail Key used to install Win10

I used a retail Windows 7 Ultimate key to activate a clean install of Windows 10 from iso. I have changed my mind and now wish to recover the key to use for Windows 7 installation, perhaps months after recovery.

I also have one other Windows 7 retail key used the same way, which I will keep as Windows 10 license, but I may wish to reinstall on other hardware in the future.

If it makes any difference, both of these Windows 10 installations are virtual machines (VBOX).

(A) How do I recover use of the first key for a Windows 7 install?

(B) How do I go about using my Windows 10 Pro rights on new hardware?

AZOcotillo, Aug 16, 2017
  3. windows activation error 0x803F7001

How exactly did you Upgrade if the Windows 7 wasn't activated? Did you run the Windows 10 media from Windows 7?

Is Windows 7 retail or did it come already installed at Factory.

If retail you should have saved the packaging and/or key or you threw away a $100+ valuable.

If factory installed it should have a COA sticker on the PC with Product Key.

If you have neither then check if there's a windows.old folder in C where you might be able to recover a retail Windows 7 Product key using

Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server
    or
    How To Recover Windows 7 8 Product Key From Unbootable Drive

Then check if you have Version 1511 at Settings>System>About. If so you can insert the Windows 7 Product Key at the link there as specified in Version 1511 FAQ in

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

If factory installed Windows 7 but the COA sticker is unreadable then you might also be able to retrieve from Windows.old the file given here used to Activate Upgrade:

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 the easy way -- no upgrade required

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7

Hi PabloViGar. Welcome to the TenForums @PabloViGar

Your entitlement was actually stored on the MS servers not you MB.

Just do a clean install on 10, same version, skip over entering key and MS will activate your software.

If you made significant changes then some additional steps are required.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 16, 2017
  5. That's right, the problem is solved. Thank you.

PabloViGar, Aug 17, 2017
  6. Excellent. Glad the forum could help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 17, 2017
  7. Just to clarify, The only Windows 10 keys stored in the BIOS are those put there by OEM's like Dell, Acer, ASUS etc. It's not added by upgrading to Windows 10. As you found out, you get a Digital License, and that is stored on the Microsoft Activation Server. The key you originally got was a generic key all PC's that do the free upgrade get it. There is a Home key and a Pro key etc. Those keys are easy to find with a Google search. You could enter them during setup, no need to though. They will only work (activate) if that PC already has a Digital license stored on the activation server. No pre existing DL and no activation. Run showkey now and you'll see what your 10 key is. ShowKeyPlus

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7

1. Recover Windows 10 key after installing Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Recover key installing

2. Recover Windows 10 Product Key after deleting Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover Windows 10 Product Key after deleting Windows: I bought a Acer Spin 3 laptop with Windows 10 on it. Then I deleted Windows from my machine and installed Linux Ubuntu. Now I want to re-install Windows 10 on a virtual machine inside my Ubuntu installation. Is there a way to recover the Product Key from my previous Windows...
  3. Recover Windows 10 Product Key after deleting Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Windows 10 Product Key after deleting Windows: I bought a Acer Spin 3 laptop with Windows 10 on it. Then I deleted Windows from my machine and installed Linux Ubuntu. Now I want to re-install Windows 10 on a virtual machine inside my Ubuntu installation. Is there a way to recover the Product Key from my previous Windows...
  4. Recover Windows 10 Product Key after deleting Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 ?: I WAS USING ORIGINAL WINDOWS 7 AROUND 10 YEARS BACK. THEN FOR INTERNAL SERVER PURPOSES, I FLASHED WINDOWS 7 AND INSTALLED LINUX OS. NOW CAN I USE THAT WINDOWS 7 KEY TO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 IN THE SAME SYSTEM ? THANKS AND REGARDS...
  6. Recover Windows 10 key, login into MS account on old Windows 7

Recover Windows 10 key, login into MS account on old Windows 7: HI, my laptop crashed which I had reset to factory specs. It has windows 10 the laptop but it back to windows 7. I have that windows 10 listed on my MS account under managed devices. On Windows 7 how can I log into my account and recover my windows 10 key. Is that even...
  7. Installing Windows 7 After Windows 10

Installing Windows 7 After Windows 10: Symptoms: If you install Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 on your computer, the text-based Windows Boot Manager appears instead of a graphical user interface that lets you choose an operating system. Cause: Windows 7 Setup replaces Windows 10's boot files with...
  8. Recover key for Window 10

Recover key for Window 10: My laptop is stolen together with the window key stick under the laptop. I would like to reuse the window 10 on my new pc… Is it possible to recover the window key?...
  9. recover windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover windows 7: in window 7 the pic roll cant we just delete that file and still recover the program https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/recover-windows-7/4520e2e6-ac18-4110-a797-7a9cb0facb86
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?)

Reinstalling Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 (With keys?): Windows 10 was released today and I'd like to install it on my custom built desktop for testing. However, I would like to know if I can go back to Windows 7 after updating to Windows 10. I did a bit of research and found out that there was a roll back option in Windows 10...