Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

Discus and support Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been a self employed I.T. engineer for 15 years. I have a routine when reinstalling windows for a client. I remove the hard drive, make a backup,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alansurry, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

1. alansurry Win User

I've been a self employed I.T. engineer for 15 years. I have a routine when reinstalling windows for a client. I remove the hard drive, make a backup, replace, format & install windows. Then I remove the hard drive, connect it to the server with the backup and restore the files and folders to a folder on the drive for the client to sort out, or for me to restore to the user profile folders.

What's happening with Windows 10 is that I copy the recovered files and folders back to the clients hard drive, but no sooner do I replace the drive in the PC and reboot than all of the recovered files and folders disappear. This has happened several times on several PC's. Today, 120GB disappeared in front of my eyes as I was creating a desktop shortcut to it. This means I have to resort to transferring the files over my network or via external hard drives which is increases the time required for each job and fills my bench with jobs that should be out of the way.

The only thing I can assume may be going wrong is that Windows 10 is refusing to retain the files because of some sort of security or permissions error.

If anyone has any idea what's causing this, I'd be grateful for the answer as it's making a simple job of installing windows into a very time consuming process and cluttering up my bench with jobs that should be on their way back to the client.

Thank you in advance for any answers, correct or otherwise.

Alan Surry
    Thurrock PC Services.

:)

2. Bo$$ Win User

Can data be recovered from a Formatted SD Flash Card?

read, he has lost his flash card with sensitive info on it

3. Temps_Riising Win User
    solaris needs serious help with recovering data

How do you know that the CD's on his hard drive are not copies of his lifelong collection of purchased discs placed into one collection? *Wink Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation ;)

Temps_Riising, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:57 PM
  4. rajmehra300 Win User

How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk

Hi...

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk. It has got corrupted. When I connect to my Window 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but my machine does not recognize it.I have checked External hard disk with other working cable as well but still it is not working . I have tried to recover data with Hiren boot cd ,. On hiren boot machine it is recognizing the disk. I can copy some data in form of dd format with data rescue but not able to recover data with this DD format file. I have used different softwares to recover dd file but all are giving error. Please suggest how can i recover my data.

rajmehra300, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:57 PM
Thema:

1. Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation - Similar Threads - Recovered data disappears

2. McAfee discovers new Windows 10 Cortana vulnerabilities that could manipulate locked systems

in Windows 10 News
    McAfee discovers new Windows 10 Cortana vulnerabilities that could manipulate locked systems: Today, McAfee has announced that it has discovered a new vulnerability in Windows 10’s Cortana digital assistant which could be used to manipulate locked systems with physical access. It’s worth noting that the two new flaws have been addressed as part of Microsoft’s August...
  3. New Shopping Cart feature available in Xbox Store to Xbox One Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    New Shopping Cart feature available in Xbox Store to Xbox One Insiders: [ATTACH] Beginning today Preview Alpha – Skip Ahead, Preview Alpha, and Preview Beta can begin using the new Shopping Cart feature in the Xbox Store! FEATURE DETAILS: You’ll now see a Cart icon in the Store which will navigate to the Shopping Cart. All game and app...
  4. Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers: Today is Patch Tuesday and Microsoft has just rolled out Windows 10 KB4343909. In case you’re planning to upgrade the PC manually, the direct download links for Windows 10 KB4343909 are also available. Windows 10 KB4343909 is available for devices running version 1803 and it...
  5. Computer waking from sleep after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer waking from sleep after update: Hi, A while back I had an issue where my computer would randomly turn on after being put to sleep/hibernate. I got incredibly frustrated because I would end up waking up in the middle of the night to find out it had turned itself on, or when I got back from work. At some...
  6. New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 17738 - August 14

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 17738 - August 14: Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17738 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC We fixed an issue where on Windows 10 in S Mode, launching Office in the Store might fail to...
  7. KB4343902 Update for New Adobe Flash Player 30.0.0.154 released

in Windows 10 News
    KB4343902 Update for New Adobe Flash Player 30.0.0.154 released: Security updates available for Flash Player | APSB18-25 Bulletin ID Date Published Priority APSB18-25 August 14, 2018 2 Summary Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player for Windows, macOS, Linux and Chrome OS. These updates address critical...
  8. Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10: My Google Chrome was working fine yesterday, but I haven't been able to get it to load any webpages today. Meanwhile, my internet explorer has been working fine. I am not using a proxy server, so that box was already unchecked. I didn't want to make too many changes on the...
  9. Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting): I use a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop with i7 Processor and 8GB RAM. When I bought the laptop, it was normal after boot. Then after time passed by, my performance of my laptop started degrading (i.e) The computer was damn slow for nearly a minute after boot and returns to normal...
  10. New Lenovo ThinkPad P1 mobile workstation

in Windows 10 News
    New Lenovo ThinkPad P1 mobile workstation: Lenovo has launched a brand-new addition to its ThinkPad mobile workstation portfolio—the ThinkPad P1. Lenovo’s thinnest, lightest, and sleekest mobile workstation, the ThinkPad P1 gives users the style they want and the performance they need. [ATTACH] No company better...