Windows 10: Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

Discus and support Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been a self employed I.T. engineer for 15 years. I have a routine when reinstalling windows for a client. I remove the hard drive, make a backup,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alansurry, Aug 8, 2018.

1. alansurry Win User

Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

I've been a self employed I.T. engineer for 15 years. I have a routine when reinstalling windows for a client. I remove the hard drive, make a backup, replace, format & install windows. Then I remove the hard drive, connect it to the server with the backup and restore the files and folders to a folder on the drive for the client to sort out, or for me to restore to the user profile folders.

What's happening with Windows 10 is that I copy the recovered files and folders back to the clients hard drive, but no sooner do I replace the drive in the PC and reboot than all of the recovered files and folders disappear. This has happened several times on several PC's. Today, 120GB disappeared in front of my eyes as I was creating a desktop shortcut to it. This means I have to resort to transferring the files over my network or via external hard drives which is increases the time required for each job and fills my bench with jobs that should be out of the way.

The only thing I can assume may be going wrong is that Windows 10 is refusing to retain the files because of some sort of security or permissions error.

If anyone has any idea what's causing this, I'd be grateful for the answer as it's making a simple job of installing windows into a very time consuming process and cluttering up my bench with jobs that should be on their way back to the client.

Thank you in advance for any answers, correct or otherwise.

Alan Surry
    Thurrock PC Services.

:)

alansurry, Aug 8, 2018
  2. Bo$$ Win User

Can data be recovered from a Formatted SD Flash Card?

read, he has lost his flash card with sensitive info on it

Bo$$, Aug 8, 2018
  3. solaris needs serious help with recovering data

How do you know that the CD's on his hard drive are not copies of his lifelong collection of purchased discs placed into one collection? *Wink Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation ;)

Temps_Riising, Aug 8, 2018
  4. Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk

Hi...

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk. It has got corrupted. When I connect to my Window 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but my machine does not recognize it.I have checked External hard disk with other working cable as well but still it is not working . I have tried to recover data with Hiren boot cd ,. On hiren boot machine it is recognizing the disk. I can copy some data in form of dd format with data rescue but not able to recover data with this DD format file. I have used different softwares to recover dd file but all are giving error. Please suggest how can i recover my data.

rajmehra300, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

1. Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation - Similar Threads - Recovered data disappears

2. Recovering data after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering data after reinstalling windows: so a month ago, I reinstalled windows after accidentally cleaned my hard drive because I ran into death error and usually restore points work but it wasn't working this time, and my laptop appeared as "boot device not found" so I installed windows. I was wondering if backups...
  3. Recover data & Win10 Home Microsoft user profile replaced by a new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover data & Win10 Home Microsoft user profile replaced by a new one: Took laptop into "professional computer tech" and long story short, got it back w/out anything but Microsoft Edge app created and saved folders & files.. all Google app data is gone as well as original user which has been replaced with a different name but using my original...
  4. Recover data & Win10 Home Microsoft user profile replaced by a new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover data & Win10 Home Microsoft user profile replaced by a new one: Took laptop into "professional computer tech" and long story short, got it back w/out anything but Microsoft Edge app created and saved folders & files.. all Google app data is gone as well as original user which has been replaced with a different name but using my original...
  5. Recover data & Win10 Home Microsoft user profile replaced by a new one

6. Recover Data after reinstalling Windows.

Recover Data after reinstalling Windows.: Recently , to upgrade my windows 10 build to latest build , I downloaded iso file and booted to sandisk. I try to install it on my SSD which have the previous windows installed. So I formated and when I try install on it, GPT partition style error occures.Then using cmd...
  7. Can i recover data after installing new windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i recover data after installing new windows: Can i recover data after installing new windows since the data was formatted while installing new windows, so... i would like to know if it is possible or not because i had some really important stuff, and you might be like we have one drive but my pc was not booting so i...
  8. Need help copying and recovering data from SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need help copying and recovering data from SSD: My computer boots from an SSD. The SSD stopped working. I put it in an enclosure and plugged it into another computer. It does not show up in Disk Management or File Explorer. It does show up in Device Manager, but it has problems. [img] I'd like to copy it / image it,...
  9. Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.: Hello, I have an issue with my main user profile - I renamed it, and since then there have been small issues, like the search not finding installed apps, certain Windows apps showing only a blank screen (including Contact Support, which is good for a chuckle), and an...
  10. Recover data after deleting partiton and creating a new one?

in Windows 10 Support
    Recover data after deleting partiton and creating a new one?: Long story short, while trying to troubleshoot a lousy 1.5TB WD drive I had accidentally deleted and recreated the partition on a different USB drive without noticing. All the partition recovery softwares' instructions don't seem to mention this scenario, so I'm not entirely...