Windows 10: Recovery drive issue

Discus and support Recovery drive issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my Dell XPS13 was getting a bit slow and bogged down, so I decided to try out the recovery drive that I created a while back. Now that I think about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rgvsuzuki, May 15, 2017.

1. rgvsuzuki Win User

Recovery drive issue

So my Dell XPS13 was getting a bit slow and bogged down, so I decided to try out the recovery drive that I created a while back. Now that I think about it, I can't remember if I created the drive when the computer was still running windows 8.1 or after the upgrade to 10.

When I first started it up with the drive installed, it asked me which keyboard layout I have, then after I selected it, there was a quick flash of weird colours, then the screen went dark. The computer was still on, but I didn't think it was working right so I (stupidly?) removed the drive and tried to start the computer normally. It starts up, shows the Dell logo but then goes dark and stays like that. I tried pressing both F8 and F11 on startup, and neither worked...black screen.

Then I decided to try the recovery drive again, and it no longer shows anything except a dark screen. I can hear some activity now and then from the machine (possibly a fan or drive noise), but nothing on the screen. The light on the Sandisk thumb drive is "breathing" (slow fade in and out) which apparently means inactivity? I need the computer tomorrow. Should I be seeing any signs of progress? How long should this take? I'd hate to wait 8hrs only to find out it's not doing anything. My data is all backed up so I'm not concerned about that.

:)

rgvsuzuki, May 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 create recovery discs with with less than 8GB discs

Hi Carl,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for being part of the Windows 10 family.

I understand that you are facing issues with creating recovery drive on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if recovery drive space is not enough to create a recovery drive.

To create a recovery drive on a external drive. We need a enough space to perform a recovery drive. So I suggest you to try creating recovery drive on a USB drive and check if the same issues is occurring or not. As suggested in below Microsoft Help Article,
    USB drive is recommended to create a recovery drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 15, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Recovery Drive Issues

Try without backing up system files. It works for me. I have two identical Dell with windows 10, One was able to create with system files not. Not clear whu

KobyAvital, May 15, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Recovery drive issue

I would pull the plug on the power supply, remove the battery, hold the power key down for 10 seconds. With nothing connected to the USB ports, reinstall the batter, plug the power supply back in, then press the power key to turn it on. See if that gets you back into the installed Windows.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  5. rgvsuzuki Win User
    The battery is inside the computer. I think the screws are tiny torx. I'll see if I can do that. Thanks

Edit: when I touch the trackpad a cursor now shows up...a step in the right direction?
    Maybe I'll give it some more time before I do anything.

rgvsuzuki, May 15, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you have access to another computer? You could make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools and see if the computer will boot from that:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

To make a USB flash drive bootable in both UEFI and legacy BIOS modes:
    Insert the USB flash drive
    From a command prompt, run diskpart. Accept the UAC warning if it comes up. Then after diskpart run:

list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the disk number of the USB flash drive
    clean <- this will ERASE the entire USB flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Then mount either a Windows 10 installation ISO file created by the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool or Kyhi's Recovery Drive.
    Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  7. rgvsuzuki Win User
    I have access to another computer, but I don't understand the instructions above. How do I get to command prompt (you're talking about the second computer right?).

I took the back off, unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes and tried again, but the screen still goes dark after the Dell logo goes away.

There's a few different Winpese files in Kyhi's post...how do I know which one to use?
    Thanks

rgvsuzuki, May 16, 2017
  8. rgvsuzuki Win User

Recovery drive issue

Ok I plugged a flash drive into my other computer and I got into diskpart list disk. It shows Disk 0 and Disk 1, then below that it says DISKPART>

How do I figure out which number the flash drive is? It's shown as G in folders. Also where do I enter this number in list disk?

rgvsuzuki, May 16, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would use Kyhi's Recovery Drive version Win14393PESE_x64 ISO v170116

You pick which disk is the USB flash drive by looking at the capacity. My USB flash drive in the below example is rated as 32GB. That equates to the 28 GB drive listed. I know it isn't 447 or 931 GB, so it has to be the 28 GB drive. The difference is because manufacturers call megabytes and gigabytes in factors of 10. 1,000,000 bytes is a MB and 1,000 MB is a GB. But Windows uses the binary definition of megabytes and gigabytes which are in factors of 2. 1,024 KB is a MB. 1,024 MB is a GB.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: JOHN-LAPTOP DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 447 GB 0 B * Disk 1 Online 931 GB 10 GB * Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 3 Online 28 GB 0 B DISKPART> select disk 3 Disk 3 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> clean DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> create part pri DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> format fs=fat32 quick 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> active DiskPart marked the current partition as active. DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... C:\Windows\system32>exit[/quote] When mounted, Kyhi's Recovery Drive ISO file looks like this. You would then copy all these files and folders to the USB flash drive:

Recovery drive issue [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, May 16, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    In Diskpart, when you type List Disk, it shows the drives on the computer, by Disk#. (ie) Disk 0 is usually the C:. You can also tell under the heading Size the much larger drive will be the C: drive the smaller size drive is the Flash Drive.
    Now type the Disk# (ie) Disk 1, Disk2 etc of the Flash Drive and press enter. It should say this disk is now Selected. Now type Clean and press enter, be sure you are selecting the the correct drive as this will wipe everything off of the drive.

spunk, May 16, 2017
  11. rgvsuzuki Win User
    I really appreciate the detailed instructions! I got the flash drive setup. So just plug it in and hit power? Then what?

rgvsuzuki, May 16, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Possibly. If the BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from USB first, then is should boot into Kyhi's Recovery Drive. If not, then from a powered off state, press the power button, then start tapping on the F12 key. That should bring up a boot device list that you can select the USB flash drive from.

NavyLCDR, May 16, 2017
  13. rgvsuzuki Win User

Recovery drive issue

Ok I installed the flash drive, turned it on and pressed F12, and finally it's showing these options on the screen. What do you guys think I should do next? Should I try the Samsung SSD boot option?

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the pointer to the desired boot device.
    Press Enter to attempt the boot or ESC to Cancel. (* = Password Required)

Boot mode is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: ON

UEFI BOOT:
    Windows Boot Manager
    UEFI: SAMSUNG SSD PM851 M.2 2280 256GB
    UEFI: USB MassStorage Device

OTHER OPTIONS:
    BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update
    Diagnostics
    Change Boot Mode Settings

rgvsuzuki, May 16, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sure, try the SSD first. Windows Boot Manager would normally be just the standard Windows 10 installation.

NavyLCDR, May 16, 2017
  15. rgvsuzuki Win User
    Ok I tried the SSD boot option, but the screen just went dark again. I then tried booting from the USB flash drive and it worked! I now have a windows desktop displayed with 24 different icons. What does this mean? Is it fixed? What should I do next? Thanks again!

rgvsuzuki, May 16, 2017
Thema:

Recovery drive issue

1. Recovery drive issue - Similar Threads - Recovery drive issue

2. Drive Recovery Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Recovery Issues: I experienced a sudden BSOD the other day and upon reboot, Windows will now no longer boot and I get stuck in an infinite boot cycle. I’ve created a temporary boot disk on a USB to get into WinRE. However, in WinRE, none of the repair options are working. It seems that in...
  3. Drive Recovery Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Recovery Issues: I experienced a sudden BSOD the other day and upon reboot, Windows will now no longer boot and I get stuck in an infinite boot cycle. I’ve created a temporary boot disk on a USB to get into WinRE. However, in WinRE, none of the repair options are working. It seems that in...
  4. Drive Recovery Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery Drive ISSUE (It's not there)

Recovery Drive ISSUE (It's not there): Greetings, I think I know what I did wrong but I don't know how to make it right. Many of you have watched this journey on my Beelink 1Ghz Mini PC and so it's your last chance to help before we put her on eBay. (lol) Okay. Some history first. 1. Had this thing for two...
  6. RECOVERY DRIVE

RECOVERY DRIVE: I just recovered my windows through windows recovery drive. but my windows version is not latest, it is 3 version earlier. i want to ask that, can i update my windows version which is stored in recovery drive? because it is very annoying to waste such data. my pc- HP...
  7. Windows 10 Recovery Drive issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Recovery Drive issue: I'm trying to create a recovery drive in windows 10 to include a system image but keep getting cannot create drive or words to that effect. It seams that the recovery agent is disabled which is the cause of my problem. If I try to enable the recovery agent I get Windows RE...
  8. Recovery Drive

Recovery Drive: In my new Windows 10 computer, I was creating a recovery drive on a USB. It took a while so I wasn't watching the whole time, but I looked over and the computer was restarting. I'm not sure it finished creating the RD, or if it's supposed to restart afterwards. Have I...
  9. Recovery drive

Recovery drive: Hi I have a laptop and a home pc both installed with windows 10 Home single language OS. currently I'm facing some problems with my laptop and it doesn't boot sometimes I have a recovery usb flash drive created from my PC which also runs on Windows 10 OS. Can I use it in...
  10. recovery drive

recovery drive: flash drive doesn't have bootmgr file after creating recovery drive of windows 10 from recovery drive option in menu..what can i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-drive/5ceddf20-58a7-4048-99f0-b7a7cb7b70c8