Windows 10: Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

Discus and support Recovery fails from pre-installed partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While working on an unrelated issue with recently bought Lenovo laptop, and the manufacturer's support team recommended to perform recovery from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AleksanderK_BRK, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

While working on an unrelated issue with recently bought Lenovo laptop, and the manufacturer's support team recommended to perform recovery from a pre-installed partition.

While doing so, recovery process goes to about 50% and then shuts down with unexpected error and rolls back any changes.
    The support team concluded, that the partition on the laptop is corrupted and they would be able to fix it for a fee...
    In other words continuing this conversation with Lenovo is not really an option anymore.

I've actually checked the disk with "EasyUse Partition Master": it had found no errors to the partition itself, and was able to view recovery files, so I'm not exactly sure, what and how can it be corrupted in the first place.

Have a couple of questions:
    1. Where exactly can I check what error does recovery process encounter?
    2. If recovery partition is no use, would it be OK to clean it up or can it somehow be checked and restored?
    3. Is there an option to create a new recovery partition with Win10 tools from the same Laptop, I'm using (Laptop is operational)?
    If so, would it save existing drivers and Windows updates onto this partition or clear those out?

Lenovo support team ensured me, that Windows activation key is stored within the motherboard firmware, but I'm not too sure, whether they're using anything custom in their recovery partition, that would be lost if I use standard Windows one.

:)

AleksanderK_BRK, Aug 20, 2018

2. Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

While working on an unrelated issue with recently bought Lenovo laptop, and the manufacturer's support team recommended to perform recovery from a pre-installed partition.

While doing so, recovery process goes to about 50% and then shuts down with unexpected error and rolls back any changes.

The support team concluded, that the partition on the laptop is corrupted and they would be able to fix it for a fee...

In other words continuing this conversation with Lenovo is not really an option anymore.

I've actually checked the disk with "EasyUse Partition Master": it had found no errors to the partition itself, and was able to view recovery files, so I'm not exactly sure, what and how can it be corrupted in the first place.

Have a couple of questions:

1. Where exactly can I check what error does recovery process encounter?

2. If recovery partition is no use, would it be OK to clean it up or can it somehow be checked and restored?

3. Is there an option to create a new recovery partition with Win10 tools from the same Laptop, I'm using (Laptop is operational)?

If so, would it save existing drivers and Windows updates onto this partition or clear those out?

Lenovo support team ensured me, that Windows activation key is stored within the motherboard firmware, but I'm not too sure, whether they're using anything custom in their recovery partition, that would be lost if I use standard Windows one.

AleksanderK_BRK, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Anusha Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

Hello Dave. Thanks for fast reply.

Lenovo does offer their tools to create recovery USB drive, but for some reason their tool fails as well.

I honestly didn't expect to receive a Laptop with a broken recovery partition, and don't have a habit of attempting Windows recovery while checking if it's working fine.

The process you're describing is exactly what I'm doing, and it crashes at rougly 50% every time, regardless if I choose to keep files or not.

I would fist like to diagnose why is it failing: as I've mentioned, checking disk didn't reveal any errors and partition manager can see recovery files on it.

AleksanderK_BRK, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

Recovery fails from pre-installed partition

1. Recovery fails from pre-installed partition - Similar Threads - Recovery fails pre

2. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  3. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  4. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Accessing installers from the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accessing installers from the recovery partition?: Good afternoon everybody, A co-worker has an issue, she has removed her OEM version of MS Office 2013. She installed 365 and now needs 2013 back. Is there any access options to utilizing the installer from the recovery partition? Is it kept as an executable or only...
  6. Windows 10 install recovery from partition

Windows 10 install recovery from partition: This makes 0 sense to me. I booted my installing/recovery from a fixed partition on a usb hard drive using thr bootsect and make partition active feature. My image consists of my ssd wirh the c drive and recovery partitioms rhat were backed up. Upon trying to onstall my image...
  7. 1709 Fails to install and how to remove multiple recovery partitions?

1709 Fails to install and how to remove multiple recovery partitions?: Am facing two issues / have some questions: 1. 1709 fails to install Windows downloads all the files, starts the upgrade setup. Once done, and after 'Configuring update for Windows...'the first re-starts ends up with a BSOD "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to...
  8. Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions)

Clean install on a pre-installed windows 10 laptop (partitions): Hi everybody, The reason I am seeking your help today is that I'm trying to do an clean install on my freshly bough Asus Zenbook UX330UAK which came with a pre-installed windows 10 loaded with bloatware. Now I know that it's touchy to mess with windows 10 pre-installed...
  9. Windows 10 Pre-Installation Partition

Windows 10 Pre-Installation Partition: Hi there, I've tried to find the answer to my question in the forums here but can't seem to find it. Sorry if it has already been posted somewhere. What I'm trying to figure out is how to set up a PRE-Windows 10 environment on a physical pc and also on a VMWare virtual pc....
  10. Clean Installation - Recovery Partition Position

Clean Installation - Recovery Partition Position: Hi everyone, this is my first post and I wish to deeply thank you for giving newbies like me the chance of being here. What I did *Biggrin I performed a clean (fresh) installation of Windows 10 on different PC's, specifically two Lenovo laptops, Z50-70 and Yoga 2 13...