Windows 10: recovery from oxc000000e

Discus and support recovery from oxc000000e in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I made an image file of my hard drive, and used it to install everything on a second drive. If I have a hard drive failure, I can install the second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Jim8080 Win User

recovery from oxc000000e

I made an image file of my hard drive, and used it to install everything on a second drive. If I have a hard drive failure, I can install the second drive and immediately have an operating computer.

This approach worked fine. To keep the drive current. I put it in a external drive enclosure, and copied word documents, etc. , added a few files from scratch, and now the second drive is more current than the drive in the computer. It still worked ok when connected to my computer.

I tested it again today, and have a oxc000000e error. I checked into making a startup repair USB, assuming I could make it using my normal hard drive, but I get the impression the repair USB would contain everything on my normal drive (word documents, pictures, etc.) I might as well create a new image file and use it, loosing data that was only on the second drive.

Am I correct, or can I just make a win10 repair only USB? I put the second drive in the external drive enclosure and everything looks fine.

What normally causes the oxc000000e problem? Maybe I need to unmount the drive instead of just turning off the external drive enclosure power.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Feb 16, 2018

2. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired Error Code 0xc000000e

On start up I'm getting a blue screen and the following message:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed (this can sometimes change, it used to complain about a Windows.exe file missing)

Error code Oxc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device) , contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

I don't have a "PC Administrator" nor did I create a recovery/installation media. What do I do?

Can I make a recovery disc using a different computer?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

NajiBoutros, Feb 16, 2018
  3. FredDiP Win User
    Windows Boot Error

I'm getting intermittent errors while booting. It seems to occur after a Windows Update has been installed. The error code is Oxc000000e. When this happens, the machine will not respond to any commands. However, after turning the power off and a minute
    or two later powering back on, it will boot normally.

While researching the problem I found a discussion where someone had a similar issue. They had multiple physical hard drives installed and there was a BIOS setting that created confusion related to which dive to boot from. I don't believe that I have this
    problem but I do have multiple drives installed and noticed that both the C: and E: drives have a "Windows" directory. The E: drive is also labeled "Windows". The C: drive appears to be getting the Windows updates.

Any help to eliminate the Oxc000000e error would be greatly appreciated. Also, any insight on potential problems that might be caused by the two "Windows" directory would be helpful.

Thanks.

FredDiP, Feb 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

recovery from oxc000000e

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by a startup repair USB disk.

Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    Startup Repair can be run
    a. from within a reasonably working Windows installation (which might seem a bit strange, I suppose)
    or
    b. from the same set of options when booting from a bootable Win10 installation disk.

Note too that Macrium Reflect (a disk imaging program) includes a quite comprehensive Fix Boot feature, also available when using its boot disk.

oxc000000e: detailed description:
    Fix Boot Error 0xC000000E (Required Device is Inaccessible)

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  5. Jim8080 Win User
    Thanks for the useful information. It looks like I have boot sector problems, and I need to use the prime-expert.com software to fix it.

Regarding Macrum; I have been thinking of using it. I currently use Terabyte Image for Linux (works ok with win10), which works fine, but does not have the bells and whistles provided with Macrum. Terabyte had another app which allowed me to return to windows from Linux, but I don't remember how to use it. I tried Linux years ago, but prefer windows.

I still wonder why I have 0XC000000e problems with the extra drives. Fortunately, I don't have it when using my C: drive.
    Jim

Jim8080, Feb 17, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    I'd try Macrium's Fix Boot first. You could also run a disk test just to be sure.

I make no comment on the prime-expert software- it was the article content that seemed relevant. According to the article you'd need to buy that, which wasn't something I was specifically recommending.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  7. Jim8080 Win User
    The Prime-Expert Emergency Bootkit paid version works! Some steps were not clear to me, but the writer was obviously more of a technical person than a tech writer. It was well worth the $18. I have a number of drives which I can mount, and I have about 4-5 0xc000000e failures over a few years using them. Fortunately my normal C: drive has not been affected.

Norton Security thinks it is a bad site, and I finally switched to Windows Defender and deleted Norton to download. However, Norton also thinks my amateur radio club's website is dangerous, which is totally wrong.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jim

Jim8080, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

recovery from oxc000000e

1. recovery from oxc000000e - Similar Threads - recovery oxc000000e

2. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  3. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  4. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  5. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  6. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  8. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  9. bitlocker key recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker key recovery: hello i can't access to my bitlocker key using the microsoft account. can i have help to resolve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-key-recovery/b1043c1e-90f8-4f8c-bd5f-574945b6fc41
  10. bitlocker key recovery

bitlocker key recovery: hello i can't access to my bitlocker key using the microsoft account. can i have help to resolve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-key-recovery/b1043c1e-90f8-4f8c-bd5f-574945b6fc41