Windows 10: recovery image is a bit messy

Discus and support recovery image is a bit messy in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, since my laptop was born with Windows 8 Home, upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10, 64 bit version with UEFI, I think that the recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tulving, Sep 3, 2017.

1. tulving Win User

recovery image is a bit messy

Hi,
    since my laptop was born with Windows 8 Home, upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10, 64 bit version with UEFI, I think that the recovery image is a bit messy.
    Let's see, it's say it's Disabled (sorry, my system language is Italian):

Code: Informazioni di configurazione per Ambiente ripristino Windowse la reimpostazione del sistema: Stato Ambiente ripristino Windows: Disabled Percorso Ambiente ripristino Windows: Identificatore dati di configurazione di avvio (BCD): 27aa3bc3-81f7-11e6-bf9d-7c5cf8a5e357 Percorso immagine di ripristino: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage Indice immagine di ripristino: 2 Percorso immagine personalizzata: Indice immagine personalizzata: 0[/quote] I realized that there was a problem when I was testing the rescue bootable usb media provided by new Acronis True Image 2018, the linux one version, because when I close it it gave some flash messages, and restarting system was not bootable.
    A blue screen appears, that told me there was a problem in boot configuration, with C:\Windows\System32\winload.efi file, and in the option there was the F8 selection for Windows start rescue option, but pressing F8, the same blue screen appears.
    Thanks to google I fixed it (it occurred twice yesterday, always exiting from Acronis 2018 linux bootable ambient, and for now it seems a problem only of my system....), since I had created previously a usb bootable Windows 10 installation/restore with MediaCreation tool, and then using the diskpart and bcdboot prompt commands to rebuild boot sequence, since the automatic repair boot option of Windows, was not successfully.
    The strange thing is that on the first reboot after fixing, it asks me if I want Win10 or Win8, (Win8 could not be still present, since after every system update I wait a while and when I'm quite sure I don't need a rollback, I use to make an advanced disk clean, that erases the Windows.old folder and its entries).
    So, it's not for now a big problem, since I have the bootable usb Windows 10 and I know how to fix it, but I'd like to understand and know if it's normal, or if there's something wired that I can easly fix.

Thanks a lot!

:)

tulving, Sep 3, 2017

2. Need help fixing a messy Recovery storage on BCDEDIT

Hello,

To further assist you, kindly post your query
    here

Regards.

Vanessa Oca, Sep 3, 2017
  3. Need help fixing a messy Recovery storage on BCDEDIT

Hello everyone. First of all, wish you a happy new year! Now, I'll explain what's going on and how it happened.

Since I like doing minor tweaks to Windows with the regedit tool, I wanted to install a trial copy of Windows 8 I had around to take a few things from its regedit tool to make use on Windows 10. I successfully achieved what I wanted, uninstalled Windows
    8 (or just simply deleted the partition) and it's all working fine, except the Recovery mode option available if pressing the 'F8' key during startup.

After installing Windows 8, I first went to Windows 10's cmd to switch from the new Metro Boot Menu to the classic, black&white one, so it wouldn't have to load the default operating system and then do a complete restart if I actually wanted to start the
    other operating system. After uninstalling Windows 8, I re-enabled the Metro Menu back, no idea for what, but with that I noticed that the ramdisks for
    device and osdevice are somewhat broken, starting with "ramdisk=[unknown]\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim," on various places. I wonder if it has to do anything with Windows 8 since it probably could change the Recovery's path
    to Windows 8's location, and since it no longer exists, it may stay in [unknown] for so, and I'm wondering if there's a fix for that.

I went through various sites and forums where they provided a few steps, but nothing seems to chane. It still stays in [unknown], and trying to access the Recovery mode through the advanced boot menu options, it stays in a black screen all the time, but
    at least lets me restart the system with the keyboard, so it means it doesn't get blocked.

I'd post the full BCDEDIT log here, but I'm not sure whether I should be doing it so I'll be waiting for a response. Thanks!

smirnov'alex, Sep 3, 2017
  4. tulving Win User

just for give more details, this is the partition situation (Nascosto in Italian means hidden, and Avvio is Boot):
    Code: Volume ### Let. Etichetta Fs Tipo Dim. Stato Info --------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 C OS NTFS Partizione 214 Gb Integro Avvio Volume 1 D Data NTFS Partizione 229 Gb Integro Volume 2 SYSTEM FAT32 Partizione 298 Mb Integro Sistema Volume 3 Recovery NTFS Partizione 898 Mb Integro Nascosto Volume 4 NTFS Partizione 464 Mb Integro Nascosto Volume 5 Restore NTFS Partizione 20 Gb Integro Nascosto[/quote]

tulving, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    When an o/s is installe dit often overwrites the code to implment the recovery the recovery will be so old and the wrong o/s so its better to remove it as you can get a win10 boot disk from a download if you need to restore the pc

Samuria, Sep 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run msconfig
    Look on the boot tab
    Does it show the two boot menu entries?
    If it does, delete the incorrect entry.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  7. tulving Win User
    yes, after the fix it shows the two entries and I delete the old Win8 one.
    My question is to understand why it appears after the boot fix....

tulving, Sep 4, 2017
  8. tulving Win User

yes,I get the usb boot rescue Win10 to fix it.
    Do you suggest to delete some partitions?
    I wanted to do it, but not sure how to safely do it, since on diskpartr and disk managment I see few partitions (the 6 ones listed above in the 1st post), but with advanced partition manager softwarems, I can see a lot of tiny partitions and among them different situations, maybe because I have a SSD and I've aligned them with MiniTool, let's see:

recovery image is a bit messy [​IMG]

tulving, Sep 4, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would delete every partition except for the System (EFI System) Partition, the C:OS partition, and the D*Biggrinata partition. Then you can expand the C:OS partition and D*Biggrinata partitions however you desire to fill the empty space - use MiniTool Partition Wizard to do it, I have never had it fail.

There will be some people that say you need the 128 MB "Other" partition which is a Microsoft Reserved Partition. Unless you have Windows 10 Pro and going to use bitlocker, you don't need it. But if you feel more comfortable having it, after you delete all the partitions (including the 128 MB other partition) but before you move C:OS to the left, you can recreate it with a diskpart command. But I wouldn't bother with it. The commands to recreate it are:
    diskpart
    create part msr size=128
    exit
    exit

That would create the MSR right next to the EFI System Partition so then you could still expand C:OS to the left to fill the empty space.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    It isn't required for bitlocker - I use bitlocker without. Bitlocker uses the system partition (so requires a separate System partition on BIOS or uses the ESP on EFI)

According to MS the MSR is for the following (I can't understand what the bold bit in the quote means at all actually)
    Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

Since Windows 10 the size required has reduced from 128MB to 16MB MSR
    Understanding Disk Partitions

What (if anything) it is for remains a mystery though - certainly to me - perhaps something, but apparently 112MB less than before *Smile

Sometimes I create it, sometimes not - it hasn't made any difference yet. Certainly changing partition layout works fine in either case.

If it is made it should be before C and after ESP so the creation instructions are OK anyway.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    In other words, nobody has a real clue as to what the MSR is for. *Think I have never had a computer that failed without it, but there are a few members that swear it is required for UEFI and GPT partitioning.

NavyLCDR, Sep 4, 2017
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I've had plenty of EFI installs on GPT disks. They all had this 128MB MSR partition, and sometimes a 16MB one as well.
    None of these drive have seen anything other than Windows 10.

Mysterious indeed....

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. recovery image is a bit messy - Similar Threads - recovery image bit

2. Image recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image recovery: Tried to do image recovery on new ssd, but it said can't find the drive to install it. Installed windows 10 fresh, so it is formatted, but still getting the error. What can I do to get it to work?Did fresh windows 10 install bit still get the same error. Thanks....
  3. Image recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image recovery: Tried to do image recovery on new ssd, but it said can't find the drive to install it. Installed windows 10 fresh, so it is formatted, but still getting the error. What can I do to get it to work?Did fresh windows 10 install bit still get the same error. Thanks....
  4. Image recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Image recovery: After taking a couple of hundred pics on my Canon, I removed the SD card and inserted it into my PC. I used Windows Photos to view most of them and while I still had them open in Photos I created a subfolder on the SD card to move related photos into one folder using File...
  5. Messy accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Messy accounts: Hi I seem to have 2 accounts one which is my email the other which is my mobile - I cant add my mobile to my email account because it says the number is already taken.. I'm so confused and hoping to just get a single account back...
  6. recovery image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery image: Is it possible to download a recovery image from the operating system image code/number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-image/cb73eddd-cd66-4131-98c5-2a248be67ed5
  7. Recovery of an image

Recovery of an image: While saving my work, I saved it on an existing file and the original file got replaced and permanently deleted. Is there any way to recover the original file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-of-an-image/7ba48dfe-1cde-4be3-b9a3-fa2a177cd109
  8. BIT LOCKER RECOVERY

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIT LOCKER RECOVERY: Hi Firts the first time after over 5 years using windows 10 last week, when booting my system I was prompted to enter "BIT LOCKER RECOVERY". NO idea what it was and after a while was able to find it and restart my machine. the PROBLEM NOW IS THAT EVERY TIME I START RESTART...
  9. Image Recovery

Image Recovery: Prior to sending a laptop back to the manufacturer, I created a system image on a network share as the manufacturer typically wipes the hard drive. After recovering the image, all of the data files were returned to their original location. However, none of the programs were...
  10. Messy tasks in startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Messy tasks in startup: Hello Are there ways to cleanup the list in startup. Im seeing a lot of subtasks ( i have no idea what are these subtasks ) and scripts that i dont need and im not sure were put there through my direct action. ( there doesnt seem to be any viruses tho) 115307