Windows 10: Recovery points are killed

Discus and support Recovery points are killed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello from Germany. On my HDD there are two partitions, one with Win 7 and one with Win 10, chosen by the Win-Boot-Manager. If I start Win 7 all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TheGerMan, Dec 6, 2015.

1. TheGerMan Win User

Recovery points are killed

Hello from Germany.

On my HDD there are two partitions, one with Win 7 and one with Win 10, chosen by the Win-Boot-Manager.
    If I start Win 7 all the recovery points from Win 10 are lost.
    But starting Win 10 all the "7-points" are still there.

Why that and ... how to fix it?
    Thanks.

:)

TheGerMan, Dec 6, 2015

2. recovery point

You mean a System Restore point?

System Restore Windows 10

Shenan Stanley, Dec 6, 2015
  3. edjejong Win User
    recovery point

hello

how to dis /enable system restore windows 10 :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/264887/how-to-enable-and-disable-system-restore

Restore from a system restore point

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create
    a restore point manually
    . Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

• Select the Start button, type control panel
      and then choose it from the list of results.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Note

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the
    Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

info :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

ty edje

edjejong, Dec 6, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

To avoid any conflict. Open Disk Management and remove the drive letter of Windows 10 while running Windows 7 and vice versa.

topgundcp, Dec 6, 2015
  5. TheGerMan Win User
    Does not work.
    In that moment I start Win 7 to open the disk management, all the restore points from Win 10 are deleted automatically.
    Or did I misunderstand you?

BTW ... if I would buy another HDD so that Win 10 has its own drive ... would that solve my problem?

TheGerMan, Dec 8, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    this issue was reported months ago - with System Restore Points gone missing
    when dual booting windows 7 and windows 10..

If you are dual booting 10 and 7

This is done with REGEDIT while in the Windows 7 Host OS

Open regedit and expand > HKEY Local Machine System

Then Expand SYSYEM and scroll to Mounted Devices

right clicking on Mounted devices and select NEW and KEY = Offline

right click on Offline and select NEW and DWORD = \DosDevices\X:

(where X is the driver letter assigned to the Windows 10 OS Partition)

right click \DosDevices\X: and click modify - enter value 1

Attachment 52791

Kyhi, Dec 8, 2015
  7. Borg 386 Win User
    It was also a problem if you were dual booting 7 & 8.1 on the same drive.

Borg 386, Dec 8, 2015
  8. TheGerMan Win User

Perfect, thanks a lot.

TheGerMan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovery points are killed - Similar Threads - Recovery points are

2. Recovery point windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery point windows 11: My manual recovery point in windows 11 gets deleted after a week, something like that.What's the reason for that and how can I make it to stay there for at least 3 years or more???...
  3. Recovery point windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery point windows 11: My manual recovery point in windows 11 gets deleted after a week, something like that.What's the reason for that and how can I make it to stay there for at least 3 years or more???...
  4. Deleted System Restore Point recovery.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted System Restore Point recovery.: Hi,I wonder if i can recover a deleted Restore Point, because im having issue's right now and it is too difficult to fix it, thank's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-system-restore-point-recovery/de7c56fa-af90-46f8-b8ee-4db29e0c10cd
  5. Deleted System Restore Point recovery.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted System Restore Point recovery.: Hi,I wonder if i can recover a deleted Restore Point, because im having issue's right now and it is too difficult to fix it, thank's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-system-restore-point-recovery/de7c56fa-af90-46f8-b8ee-4db29e0c10cd
  6. Restore Points and Recovery Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Points and Recovery Drives: When I create my recovery drive and restore points, will my browser profiles/preferences also be saved somewhere in the mix? In both, or, either one? submitted by /u/Davis_o_the_Glen [link] [comments]...
  7. System recovery point?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System recovery point?: So I want to create some sort of disk image or system recovery point (don’t know the right terminology).this is what I am exactly looking for: I want to have some sort of disk image that lets me reset/recover windows to a certain point in time. In my case I want it to be a...
  8. Recovery points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery points: Is there a way to make Windows 10 Pro set recovery points automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-points/8a338236-2217-4a28-a589-6f5fe441e24e
  9. Recovery point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery point: Hello. Is it possible to recover (make a clear reinstall) Windows 10 through a made recovery point when you change different generation CPUs, acceptable on the current motherboard?...
  10. recovery point issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    recovery point issue: Hello! Recently some apps for example steam and games wouldn't open on my computer, while Spotify and internet worked perfectly. So i looked online and found out that i can create a recovery point and restore the computer to a special date, which sounded great! But i cant...