Windows 10: Recovery USB

Discus and support Recovery USB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Error Message: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive? My recovery Partition: 12.28 GB Recovery Utilities: 700MB USB Drive: 16 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RichA, Jan 18, 2016.

1. RichA Win User

Recovery USB

Error Message: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive?
    My recovery Partition: 12.28 GB
    Recovery Utilities: 700MB
    USB Drive: 16 GB
    Windows 10

:)

RichA, Jan 18, 2016
  2. Remon Ont Win User

USB Recovery

Hi Cam,

Using USB recovery will only restore the original factory version, it will not include your apps and settings. Your files will not be retained.

In the meantime, since your initial problem might be due to software conflict, we suggest that you try doing a

clean boot
    first and check if it solves the problem with File Explorer and video player. Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This also helps eliminate software conflicts.

Update us with the result.

Remon Ont, Jan 18, 2016
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    USB Recovery

Thank you for the information.

For us to better isolate the issue, we would like to know some additional information:

• Have you done any changes like Windows update or anything on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which Windows build and version are you using?
    • Have you tried booting your computer in Safe mode?

We suggest that you try booting your computer in
    Safe mode
    and check if it will work. If not, we suggest running System file checker and DISM on this

link
    . It will scan your computer for any corrupted Windows system files and restore it.

Update us with the result.

Remon Ont, Jan 18, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Recovery USB

If you have a 12.28 GB recovery partition, that is from a previous Verdi n of windows.

Windows 10 recovery partitions are only around 0.5GB containing software to rebuild os from Windows 10 itself.

To make a recovery usb, you need to do following

control panel, recovery, create a recovery drive, and chrck box to back up system files to the recovery drive.

It should easily fit on an 8GB drive (16 GB is fine).

However some people have reported issue with 10240 with it not working.

Fortunately, with windows 10, there is not much difference between a clean install usb drive (easy to create) and a recovery usb drive, so a recovery drive is less crtical than with windows 7 for example.

cereberus, Jan 19, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    This is incorrect.

cereberus, Jan 19, 2016
  6. RichA Win User
    I tried without checking system files and got the utilities on the usb drive.
    I've tried to get the system files loaded on the usb drive three times and each time
    the same message appears. Other people are having the same problem.
    Looks like I need to wait till Windows 10 gets the bug fixed.

RichA, Jan 19, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you hit a brick wall here, I suggest to put an image on the stick.

8. RichA Win User

Recovery USB

Good idea, need to get a larger USB.

Thanks to everybody for your Help

RichA, Jan 19, 2016
  9. caperjack Win User
    yeah,it could be ,but ,I thought they meant there were trying to make the factory recovery usb , there for it wouldn't be ,,sorry for my misunderstanding . *Eek

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recovery USB

1. Recovery USB - Similar Threads - Recovery USB

2. USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery: Hi, I'm using a Dell laptop running Windows 10I have made a system image onto a Toshiba External HDD 3.0.I then place a System Disc DVD made previously on another Laptop into the drive of the laptop I wish to recover.I attach the Toshiba External HDD to the laptop along with...
  3. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  4. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  5. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  6. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  7. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB: I'm installing Windows 11 using a recovery USB drive. During the install, Windows is attempting to access the internet for updates. I get the error 'No Internet, secured' message. The PC is apparently connected to my router but no internet access. It is connected to the...
  9. No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB

No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB: I'm installing Windows 11 using a recovery USB drive. During the install, Windows is attempting to access the internet for updates. I get the error 'No Internet, secured' message. The PC is apparently connected to my router but no internet access. It is connected to the...
  10. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...