Windows 10: recovery vs image

Discus and support recovery vs image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; yesterday I created a recovery disc , do I still need to create an image disc as well ? 17363 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by calvin, Aug 17, 2015.

1. calvin Win User

recovery vs image

yesterday I created a recovery disc , do I still need to create an image disc as well ?

:)

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
  2. katinfoco Win User

"backup and restore win 7" or "recovery" for win10, which one to use on Win10?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ??? program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

If the preference is to use "recovery" in Win10, why is there an option to choose "backup and restore Windows 7" available in Win10

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive). Will the recovery option still work from a flash drive with other files on the drive?

katinfoco, Aug 17, 2015
  3. graye Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, Aug 17, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

recovery vs image

YES! The recovery disc is only the program that allows you to restore the image.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  5. calvin Win User
    so if my computer should crash I would insert the image disc 1st ?

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, you would insert the recovery disc first and it will ask you what image do you want to restore from.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  7. calvin Win User
    when I tried making the image it only got to 2% on the first disc how many dang disc will this take ? . plus it said it would take 2 hours to complete is this normal ?

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

recovery vs image

Yep. Removable USB hard drive is your best friend for backups.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
  10. calvin Win User
    well just yesterday I told the wife the next time she went to Wal-Mart to pick up another thumb drive what size would you recommend to create the image on

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
  11. calvin Win User
    the other poster says 10-15 minutes yet my computer says 2 hours

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Depends entirely on how much space you are using on your hard drive. Probably won't be able to find a USB thumb drive big enough to hold a hard drive image if you have anything else besides Windows on it.

That's because the other poster is doing a backup to another hard drive (either installed or external) using a program with better compression than Windows 10 built in backup.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

recovery vs image

It will usually be compressed to be smaller than the total used space on C:. Depending on how much stuff you have there, it could be tens of gigabytes.

The most practical backup device is usually an external (USB) hard disk. You can get those at Walmart, too. My 3TB Seagate one was about $120US at Costco. (You can now get a 4TB drive for that price.) The write speed tends to be higher on such drivers than some (not all) thumb drives. The main problem with the external hard drives is that they tend to die if subjected to mechanical shock while the platters are spun up. (Simple solution: don't drop it while it's on.)

That said, I scored a 128 GB USB3 flash drive on sale at Best Buy for $30US a few weeks ago. It has an image of C: for Windows 8.1 for one desktop, and Windows 7 for a laptop. There's space for more. Another 64 GB drive holds the image for a second desktop. I can restore a desktop in less than 10 minutes. (Did it all the time while I was playing with the preview builds. Always upgraded from 8.1 to whatever preview build was current.)

bobkn, Aug 17, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    IMO, it is better to get a HD around 500GB, cost around $40 ~ $50, it is faster to backup and restore + you'll have plenty of space.

topgundcp, Aug 17, 2015
  15. calvin Win User
    i'm using macruim reflect is there a way to compress the file ?

calvin, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

recovery vs image

1. recovery vs image - Similar Threads - recovery image

2. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  3. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  4. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.

Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.: New drive is installed, drive containing system image is connected via usb. New drive is 1 TB. Previous drive was 2 TB.Steps I did:Boot into recovery modeTroubleshoot > Advanced > System Image Recovery > error thrownMenu opens when additional usb is inserted, but different...
  6. Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.

Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.: New drive is installed, drive containing system image is connected via usb. New drive is 1 TB. Previous drive was 2 TB.Steps I did:Boot into recovery modeTroubleshoot > Advanced > System Image Recovery > error thrownMenu opens when additional usb is inserted, but different...
  7. Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery

USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery: Hi, I'm using a Dell laptop running Windows 10I have made a system image onto a Toshiba External HDD 3.0.I then place a System Disc DVD made previously on another Laptop into the drive of the laptop I wish to recover.I attach the Toshiba External HDD to the laptop along with...
  9. Surface Laptop Recovery Image from MS Website CORRUPT!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop Recovery Image from MS Website CORRUPT!: Frustrating.I downloaded the Surface 3 Laptop Recovery Firmware image .zip and extract fine. But when I copy it to USB, it gets stuck on this STUPID .swm file.I've tried different downloaders, thinking perhaps the file is being corrupt when downloading, but no, it extracts...
  10. Surface Laptop Recovery Image from MS Website CORRUPT!

Surface Laptop Recovery Image from MS Website CORRUPT!: Frustrating.I downloaded the Surface 3 Laptop Recovery Firmware image .zip and extract fine. But when I copy it to USB, it gets stuck on this STUPID .swm file.I've tried different downloaders, thinking perhaps the file is being corrupt when downloading, but no, it extracts...