Windows 10: Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

Discus and support Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KLS, Aug 1, 2015.

1. KLS
    KLS Win User

Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then recreated it in the BIOS. Now I'm trying to recreate the array in W10 Disk Management and the option to create a RAID 5 array is greyed out so I made a stripped volume and its giving me the available space of all 3 disks not 2 - 1 for parity as I would expect.

I installed the drivers stickyed at the top of these boards before attempting to recreate the array and the controller shows up in device manager. I haven't started restoring the backup yet while I figure out if its seeing the array properly and if not what I can do to get working properly.

:)

2. gboycolor Win User

Windows 10 Installation messed up partition on another disk - GPT protective partition

I reinstalled Windows 10 64 bit because my previous install got a bit of nasty malware and it was starting to get bloated.

I have two logical disks: a RAID 0 array, where I installed the OS, and a 4TB RAID 5 array composed of three disks for my data. During installation, I put the OS in the RAID 0 array, and I made sure not to touch the large RAID 5 array, because I have a bunch
    of data in it. However, when I booted up the data array was not visible. I went to Disk Management and it asked me to say what partition style the disk was in (it recognized it as a 2048GB partition) and I selected MBR. (This may have been a bad choice).

Now, the three disks show up in Disk management: two of them as unallocated space and one as a GPT Protective Partition, all MBR style.

I made sure to install all the relevant drivers, and the array itself shows as completely functional.

Is there any way of getting the data back? Barring that, how can I at least use the full 4TB array?

Reinstalling the OS is not an issue.

Thanks!

gboycolor, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Blue Screen of Death when formating a RAID 5 Partition

Try to remove the raid array or arrays from the mega raid configuration utility (Ctrl+H key)

IT Guy Viki, Aug 1, 2015
  4. KLS
    KLS Win User

Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Updated system specs in signature

5. KLS
    KLS Win User
    Poked around in the AMD RAIDXpert utility (didn't have to use it with W7) and it will let me make a RAID 0, 1, or just a bunch of disks array but not RAID 5 or 10. Mobo is an Asus M4A79T Deluxe that has an AMD SB750 RAID controller that supports RAID 0,1, 5, and 10. If nothing else I could go with a RAID 1 array with a hot spare and have fault tolerance but I'd prefer to get RAID 5 working for both the performance and fault tolerance.

Found How To Set Up a RAID 5 Array in Windows 8 and Linux - Maximum PC and it seams like this might be the same as doing a RAID 5 array according to Storage Spaces: FAQ - Windows Help
    . I know I never had to use it in W7 to create the array I just defined it in the controller and then in disk management it showed up as a single unallocated drive with ~1.8TB of space. Now when I define the array in the controller I still see the 3 separate disks one 1 unallocated, 1 uninitialized, and 1 offline in disk management.

EDIT: looks like storage spaces is a software RAID utility and since the mobo supports RAID 5 via hardware it would be better to figure out why its not allowing me to create the RAID 5 array.

6. KLS
    KLS Win User
    *Drink1*Thumbs*Nerd

Resolved this issue by downloading the W7 driver AHCI from Asus http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...PVistaWin7.zip and manually installed it. It looks like it used the vista driver version 3.100.1540.86 from looking at the .ini files in the zip file but after deleting the array in the controller and recreating it came up as a single uninitialized unallocated drive of ~1.8GB in disk management. Initialized and formatted the array and everything looks to be good to go at this point, only thing left is to restore the backup to it.

7. lupus Win User
    Thanks a lot KLS! I had similar problems after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I'm using an Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard with a RAID-5 configuration (AMD SB750 controller). After upgrading, Windows 10 did not recognized the RAID config anymore.
    You're solution looks fine. Because I was already using that driver in Windows 7, I could simply return to the previous RAID controller driver within the device manager. Rebooted and my RAID volume was there again!

So it looks like a serious bug in the AMD RAID driver that Windows 10 is using!

lupus, Aug 11, 2015
  8. yurtesen Win User

Well, did you try breaking the raid5 and rebuilding it? Because I had serious problems with it under Windows 10 and had to install Windows 7 on a spare disk to be able to rebuild the array where Windows 10 was installed.

More info at -> RAID5 can't rebuild on Windows 10 | Community

Thanks!

yurtesen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD - Similar Threads - Recreating RAID Array

2. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  3. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  4. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microphone Amd array not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microphone Amd array not working: So about a month ago my microphone stopped working and when I went to the amd website and reinstalled all my chipsets again it was working like new untill I plugged in my headphones. I plugged in my head phones for some gaming and then when I unplug them it stops working...
  6. Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array: Hi, I have this PC on my office running Windows 10 20H2 that has some expensive software and I would like to upgrade my 128 GB SSD to a raid 1 with two 1 TB SSD's for additional capacity and safety. How should I proceed to copy my current disk directly to the raid array?...
  7. How to delete RAID 0 array

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete RAID 0 array: Hi, I want to delete RAID 0 I made with Storage Spaces. I'ts 4 HDDs and one is having problems. It still works, but I have problem deleting or moving some files. Tried eliminating the HDD from the array, but it won´t let me (stuck at 0,04% use for months) Tried from the...
  8. AMD Raid Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    AMD Raid Issue: I have a laptop that came to my shop and the customer wanted to get it updated to the latest version of windows. Well, windows update didn't like the driver version. It was saying it was an AMD raid driver. It has an Intel i7 8th gen. I ran the AMD driver tool, but it...
  9. Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?: After installing Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my internal HDD RAID 0 array began to show an error on one of the 2 drives at start up (Listed as "error occurred" in red text on the screen that usually has all white text on a black screen), and also it's been acting funny, intermittently...
  10. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array: Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to...