Windows 10: Recycle bin full of unknown files

Discus and support Recycle bin full of unknown files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and just joined the forum. I just happened to take a look in my recycle bin, and it is full of hundreds of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Peanut6, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Peanut6 Win User

Recycle bin full of unknown files

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and just joined the forum. I just happened to take a look in my recycle bin, and it is full of hundreds of files, in addition to the few I had in there when I upgraded. I am running the Home version. Are these files a normal occurrence when the OS is upgraded? And, can I empty the bin without causing any problems? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Peanut6, Mar 10, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Recycle Bin – its size exceeds the set limits and stopped automatically deleting old files

Hi Oleg, a common mis-perception is setting the size of the Recycle Bin in Windows - it does not work the way it is supposed to . ..

The way it actually works is:

From that dialog, you set the size

Then any files that are deleted that are larger than that size will not be moved to the recycle bin - they will be deleted totally

Say you set the size of the recycle bin to 1GB, if you try to delete a file larger than 1GB, it will not be moved to the recycle bin, but you can separately delete 10 files of say 500MB and they will all go to the recycle bin

For some unknown reason, this is the way it works . . .

DaveM121, Mar 10, 2018
  3. DCortez Win User
    Windows 10 corrupted Recycle bin

I have two recycle bins one full one empty.

I tried used File Explorer options to uncheck system protected files.

I don't see and can't find the Recycle Bin subdir's or files. I search Drive C for recycle .. found nothing.

I don't know if they are corrupted (unlikely) or why I have two Recycle Bins that can't be found.

when I back up my IPad it says the RB is full. I empted it .. or one of them! Still full!

How do I get out of this mess. Windows 10 fully updated.

DCortez, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Without know what the files are its hard to say but its possible they are part of the upgrade. If everything is work ok leave it a few days so your sure its ok then empty the bin

Samuria, Mar 11, 2018
  5. Peanut6 Win User
    The files are in the format of DELLPC-xxxxxxxx-xxxx.log, MSIxxxxx.LOG, and officeclicktorun.exe_streamserver
    Thank you!

Peanut6, Mar 11, 2018
  6. rezpower Win User
    What is sure is that you can delete all files with .log extension with no problem. The MSIxxxxx.LOG files seem to be from verbose logging.

rezpower, Mar 11, 2018
  7. Peanut6 Win User
    Can you explain 'verbose logging"? I don't believe I have heard that term before.

Peanut6, Mar 11, 2018
  8. rezpower Win User

verbose logging for the Windows Installer service. This can be confirmed by looking at registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
    and look for String value named Logging

rezpower, Mar 11, 2018
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    These files appear to be MS Office logs or something Office related.

eLPuSHeR, Mar 11, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    During updates and upgrades everything deemed not needed any more is placed i windows.old directory not in the recycle bin. Even Disk cleanup doesn't send them there. If there's no problems running windows and programs you are free to empty it. If you use disk cleanup for that it will refuse to delete any files that are in eventual use.
    One thing I noticed during years is that many are using Recycle bin as a temporary storage which is wrong. It's better to place a Temp folder on desktop and empty RB regularly.

CountMike, Mar 11, 2018
  11. Run winver and let us know what you are running.

"Are these files a normal occurrence when the OS is upgraded?" I haven't seen anything like that yet.
    --- In my experience, I'm not familiar with how items end up in the recycle bin without user interaction.

I would create a system image backup: myself I use Macrium Reflect Free.
    --- Then empty the Recycle Bin after a few days when you are comfortable that the computer is running fine.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 11, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    One more possibility, uninstalling a program may place files in RB too. I know Revo does that if not set otherwise.

CountMike, Mar 11, 2018
  13. Recycle bin full of unknown files

Thanks CountMike, I'll need to keep that in mind if I ever use Revo.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recycle bin full of unknown files - Similar Threads - Recycle bin full

2. XML files, dll file, desktop. file in the recycle bin and the recycle bin is now corrupt....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML files, dll file, desktop. file in the recycle bin and the recycle bin is now corrupt....: A warning message flashed today and it said the recycle bin is corrupted. I tried to delete the files and reset the recycle bin, but some sort of XML files, a dll file and desktop. file was included and I don't know how to restore this. Any help?...
  3. File location in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File location in recycle bin: I deleted a file from downloads folder and it went to recycle bin and when I searched for that file in the search bar under "This PC" it shows me the locationc/user/username/appdata/roaming/temp . Is it safe to believe that files in this location stay for 30 days before...
  4. Recycle Bin in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin in File Explorer: Hello, New issue here, Recycle Bin is sitting on the desktop's lower right corner as a shortcut icon, and that's OK, I set it so . Not OK, its also in the file explorer under each drive, please see attached screenshot. How do I remove it from the file explorer view. Answers...
  5. DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF: HOW CAN I DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE "recycle bin" ITSELF? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-all-files-in-recycle-bin-or-delete-recycle/eb83336a-44d1-47be-b51a-808eb6cbfc16
  6. Registry files in Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry files in Recycle Bin: I have gone to empty the recycle bin on a PC only to find there are files from the registry in there which require admin access to delete them. Not sure how they got there, is it better to restore them rather than delete them? Windows 10 has been updated with all the latest...
  7. Deleted Recycle Bin files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Recycle Bin files: I deleted some files from the recycle bin permanently a few months ago and I now realized that I need them. I’ve downloaded a few apps to recover these files but they all retrieved random stuff that weren’t my files. What are the best free online applications that will help...
  8. Recycle Bin always shows full

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recycle Bin always shows full: I am on Windows Pro 64 [Version 10.0.18363.959]. Recently the Recycle Bin icon always shows full, even though I have just emptied the folder. Anyone else seeing this behavior? 162205
  9. Recycle Bin always shows full

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin always shows full: I am on Windows Pro 64 [Version 10.0.18363.959]. Recently the Recycle Bin icon always shows full, even though I have just emptied the folder. Anyone else seeing this behavior? 162205
  10. Recycle Bin/File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin/File Explorer: I emptied the Recycle Bin and it worked fine. Now when I click on the icon on the Desktop I get the File Explorer screen. How do I correct that....