Windows 10: Recycle bin sort by extension

Discus and support Recycle bin sort by extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added File Extension to the headers in Recycle Bin but, although clicking on the header rearranges the contents, it does not sort by extension.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jul 25, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Recycle bin sort by extension

I added File Extension to the headers in Recycle Bin but, although clicking on the header rearranges the contents, it does not sort by extension. Other, normal, directories sort OK by extension. I suspect there are concealed characters in the extensions that are skewing the sort -- but I don't know. Is there a way to sort on the extensions?

:)

tcebob, Jul 25, 2017
  2. H0101 Win User

Recycle bin

How do you open recycle bin in windows 10. My options are view and that gives me what size for the icon, or sort by which is namd and size item type,or refresh, undo delete, Intel graphic settings, new,display settings, or personalize. My only options for
    recycle bin.

H0101, Jul 25, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    I edited a pic and deleted it by mistake. Is there any place where there might be the original photo or it's thumbnail?

Hi Arrrpan: My name is Ron. What application did you do the editing in? What application did you do the delete in? If you are in File Explorer when you delete, immediately after you can use to Undo the delete action. You should also take a look in the
    Recycle bin to find this recently deleted file. You can sort by delete date to bring more recent deletion to the top of the list. The recycle bin should be displayed on your desktop. If it is not, type recycle bin in the Win 10 search tool. One of the options
    that is displayed is "Show or or hide common icons on desktop". Pick it and put a check mark beside Recycle bin.

Rohn007, Jul 25, 2017
  4. Recycle bin sort by extension

What about Item type is good enough for your needs ?

FrillyBits, Jul 25, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    I think your title was intended to read "What about Item type is NOT good enough for your needs?"

I'm accustomed to referring to files by extension. Item Type examples: *.jpg is identified as "Irfan view jpg file" and *txt is identified as "Text Document." If I replace Irfan View with SomeotherGraphicseditor will that change the Type name? In short, I find item types to be generalized, misleading and changeable. Someone at MS decided that file extensions were too abstract for the average (meaning "simple") user and imposed this descriptive substitute on users. To me this is a snotty way of calling me stupid and it offends me.

tcebob, Jul 25, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I always set my computers' File Explorer [Windows Explorer on Win7 and earlier] to show the file type/extension as I seem to work there frequently. It does make things easier for me. I also frequently change the sort order using the column headings. The View in Recycle Bin has different column headings.

Recycle bin sort by extension [​IMG]

Berton, Jul 25, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    The item type is the extension.

This is my recycle bit sorted by Item Type.

Recycle bin sort by extension [​IMG]

Perhaps you could post a picture showing what you mean as it seems to do what you want by default unless I'm misunderstanding.

8. Recycle bin sort by extension

So fix it!
    Just update the registry.

In HKCR ...
    under .jpg, mine says Images (I made it so)
    under .bmp mine says Images (I made it so)
    under .gif likewise
    under .png likewise
    etc etc etc

So change yours:
    under .jpg change it to jpg
    under .bmp change it to bmp
    under .gif change it to gif
    under .png change it to png
    etc etc

Then create new entries:
    jpg should be a copy of wherever .jpg used to point to
    bmp should be a copy of wherever .bmp used to point to
    gif should be a copy of wherever .gif used to point to
    png should be a copy of whatever .png used to point to

After all that sorting by type is tantamount to sorting by extension.

Note to deep deep Windows gurus: Isn't there a desktop.ini trick that can be used to accomplish this?

margrave55, Jul 25, 2017
  9. tcebob Win User
    Thanks, all for good responses. I will blame IrfanView for changing the file type to their liking. But I still think extensions. File Type will have to do in Recycle Bin.

tcebob, Jul 25, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I use the IrfanView portable - it didn't change anything - perhaps that is why mine works as expected.

11. tcebob Win User
    Good idea. I'll implement it.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Recycle bin sort by extension

1. Recycle bin sort by extension - Similar Threads - Recycle bin sort

2. Why are File extensions listed in the Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are File extensions listed in the Recycle Bin?: I have a number of entries under Name in the Recycle Bin that are ".xxx" where xxx in a known file extension. ".txt" , ".pfd" , ".mp4" for example.What do they signify and what happens if I delete them?Thanks....
  3. Why are File extensions listed in the Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are File extensions listed in the Recycle Bin?: I have a number of entries under Name in the Recycle Bin that are ".xxx" where xxx in a known file extension. ".txt" , ".pfd" , ".mp4" for example.What do they signify and what happens if I delete them?Thanks....
  4. recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recycle bin: I followed the instructions for showing recycle bin on my desktop, the box next to "recycle bin" is checked in my desktop settings menu, but there is no recycle bin on my desktop. I searched "recycle bin" in "my computer" folder and in my user folder, and it cannot be found....
  5. $recycle bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    $recycle bin: If I uncheck show hidden protected operating system, the $recycle bin is seen. Is it safe to delete inside $recycle bin file? Its my first time and i don't know its safe or not....
  6. Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin: I can not find the recycle bin on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/915eb735-58dc-40c8-b42f-492b1f9e5cd4
  7. Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle Bin: My deleted files are "always permanently deleted". the option to send files to recycle bin is greyed out. I prefer to have the files go to the recycle bin, but I can never do this....
  8. recycle bin

recycle bin: My recycle bin is gone I have tried going to personalization still no recycle bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/d0b32fab-3259-4323-92e9-b49ecdd6f9f5
  9. Recycle bin

Recycle bin: My recycle bin has gone form the desktop. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/1ecc9392-6e4d-452d-90f8-be9108c77f6e
  10. recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    recycle bin: Since the 10061 build, I have several times noticed the recycle bin showing full and when I looked there was nothing in it. When I went back to desktop the bin showed empty. 5635