Windows 10: Red Screen Of Death and general system crashes

Discus and support Red Screen Of Death and general system crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello lovely people, So I recently completed building my first computer to play Warhammer Total War, these are the specifications for the build:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jh10wgp, Jun 28, 2016.

1. jh10wgp Win User

Red Screen Of Death and general system crashes

Hello lovely people,

So I recently completed building my first computer to play Warhammer Total War, these are the specifications for the build:

Case: CiT Vanquish Gaming Toolless Case with USB3 Port, Side Window, Card Reader and 2 x 12CM Green Led Fans
    Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020015-UK Builder Series CX750 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W
    Motherboard: Z97-K
    Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.20GHz
    CPU fan: Alpenföhn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler - 120 mm
    RAM: It originally came with 8GB of Hyper X Ram but I bought another 16GB of RAM and have mounted it in to the board as well
    Graphics Card: MSI AMD R9 380 Gaming Graphics Card
    Memory: Kingston Technology 480GB Solid State Drive

So having whipped all of this together I've been experiencing a couple of problems. Firstly when I'm in the easy tuning wizard of my BIOS and try to set the BIOS to gaming or overclock it in anyway it will show Whea uncorrectable error when it tries to load up and crash. I can only get the system to boot by putting it down to normal. Everything will then be ok until I try and game with the thing. The computer can load Warhammer Total War and sometimes I'll be able to play for an hour or 2 (including battles) but it will then tend to freeze or end up at the dreaded Red Screen Of Death. The unit sizes are also a fourth smaller than they are meant to be even though I picked the suggested ultra graphics setting in the game set up. The computer will also just crash sometimes even when I'm just on the homescreen

Here is the who crashed crash report I received from who crashed:

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-S289C6D
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10586
    Windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z97-K
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15
    RAM: 25710223360 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 25/06/2016 07:20:29 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062616-5203-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0017CCD5028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 25/06/2016 07:20:29 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xEB3B0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0017CCD5028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    product: ATI Radeon Family
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

On Sat 25/06/2016 07:17:45 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062516-5875-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE001F4F68028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 25/06/2016 07:16:37 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062516-5625-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0007C8D6028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)

On Mon 20/06/2016 20:07:00 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062016-5125-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE00039B9B028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)

On Mon 20/06/2016 20:06:15 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062016-5640-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE000200CC028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)

On Sat 18/06/2016 07:35:40 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061816-3656-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0016EF00028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)

On Sat 18/06/2016 07:11:40 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061816-3859-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0006262D028, 0xB2000000, 0x10014)

Conclusion
    8 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
    If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

I don't know what the problem is and am pretty bummed I can't get it to work, according to my graphics card software I have all of the latest drivers. Any help you guys can give me would be hugely appreciated, For Sigmar!

:)

jh10wgp, Jun 28, 2016

2. completely red screen - not red screen of death. sometimes sudden.

Hi Kate,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you are facing issues with accessing the operating system after installing the latest updates, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know :

• Which was the latest update installed on your device?
    • Were you able to see ay error code/ error message with this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your device?

This issue might have happened due corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

I suggest you to contact your device manufacturer's website, find the latest display drivers for your device and try to download them.

Boot the computer in Safe mode, uninstall the existing drivers and manually try to install the downloaded drivers.

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: Uninstall and update the display driver

Steps to uninstall the drivers for the Display Adapter.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter
      and click on Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 3: Refer to the below article by
    Andre Da Costa to manually install the latest display drivers:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 28, 2016
  3. KateBirch Win User
    completely red screen - not red screen of death. sometimes sudden.

Hello!

I have only recently starting to have an issue since the update was released around 2 hours ago.

I could be going from google chrome to my documents folder and I get a completely blank red screen. I know it is not the red screen of death. It happens at any time it wants. at first it was black with lines down it.

I don't know if I am over working the computer, or there is something that it doesn't like.

if someone could please help me with this issue, it would be fantastic! as it is getting very boring. turning off and restarting my laptop.

thank you,

kate.

KateBirch, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Alphavet Win User

Set bios to default, disable overclocking

Alphavet, Jul 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Red Screen Of Death and general system crashes - Similar Threads - Red Screen Death

2. My system crashed with blue screen of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system crashed with blue screen of death: My system crashed with blue screen of deathHere is the dump filehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1RixWVgTv0fi8NOQDZd8sGc1aQQl6cJ1x/view?usp=sharing...
  3. My system crashed with blue screen of death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My system crashed with blue screen of death: My system crashed with blue screen of deathHere is the dump filehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1RixWVgTv0fi8NOQDZd8sGc1aQQl6cJ1x/view?usp=sharing...
  4. Blue Screen of Death Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen of Death Crash: Hi,Recently I have been receiving a BSOD crash every 30-45 mins with the stop code REFERENCE_BY_POINTER.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.Here is the link to the dump files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApsdcqCBOyIoauivFxFh8IcpPFo?e=iuSN5VThank you!...
  5. Blue Screen of Death Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen of Death Crash: Hi,Recently I have been receiving a BSOD crash every 30-45 mins with the stop code REFERENCE_BY_POINTER.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.Here is the link to the dump files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApsdcqCBOyIoauivFxFh8IcpPFo?e=iuSN5VThank you!...
  6. Crash Yellow Screen Of Death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crash Yellow Screen Of Death: I was playing The Forest and then my computer crashes to YLOD, i don't know what to do since im still an first time ameteur PC builder. Info : The description for Event ID 7024 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this...
  7. Blue Screens of Death and General Performance Issues recently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screens of Death and General Performance Issues recently: I searched how to check what might be causing this BSOD problem and apparently the below images might show the causes? https://gyazo.com/dca3dbb3551e073567718c8ea0e92230 https://gyazo.com/9348e694e1f96466346bb8693727cd04 https://gyazo.com/728799953e3c4c7a1ce83d1477d6c117...
  8. Those Blue or Red Screens of death when browsing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Those Blue or Red Screens of death when browsing: I just want to say that if all else fails people, you can get out of those screens by bringing up your Task Manager, closing out the windows that way. Then do a scan of your computer just to be safe. I also check the programs on my computer to make sure nothing was...
  9. Crash - solid blue & red screens - new system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Crash - solid blue & red screens - new system: I am on a custom built system. It is fairly new -- roughly 3-4 months old. To date everything has been good, but today the computer crashed on me. No literal visible BSOD --- but my screens went solid red & solid blue and the audio got stuck in a horrible sort of a feedback...
  10. Red Screen crash whilst gaming.

in Windows 10 Support
    Red Screen crash whilst gaming.: *Doh Recently, in fact after an culmalative update by Microsoft, I started to get a red screen crash syndrome. Not come across this one before. Some times game will play for a while. Other times it comes about more quickly. My system works fine most of the time when not...