Windows 10: Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio

Discus and support Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys. Im having a problem. What happened was i tried opening a software called Pokemon Revolution online. People call it a client. When i did, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vinceology, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio

Hi guys. Im having a problem. What happened was i tried opening a software called Pokemon Revolution online. People call it a client. When i did, it crashed and became "not responding." So what i did was held the power button to force restart it.

Now, when it restarted it (Im using Windows 10 on an Atheros Asus netbook), there was a prompt telling me that a file called system32/somethingsomethingsomething/Desktop cannot be found. And the desktop looks like it's been cleanedexcept the sole Recycle Bin icon. The wallpaper got retained though.

And so i restarted it again. This time, my desktop got restored to everthing, except that 2 red X's appeared in two icons in trays: the wifi and the audio. The audio i can deal with by troubleshooting. (Although it returns after 10 minutes or so). But the wifi is more pressing. The thing is, when i hover the cursor in the wifi icon, it shows me that it is indeed connected because i can see the wifi name. Oftentimes, it just says "Identifying... No Internet Access."

Another weird thing is that The wifi symbol used to be three curved convex lines, right? However, when the red X appears, the wifi icon becomesa rectangular image of a monitor. I cannot connect to the internet or use my audio after the crash.

Other details:
    > when i restart my netbook, the wifi is okay. It shows me the regular three curved lines. But when the desktop is done setting up after i log in, it reverts back to the error.

Please do help me. Im a broke student and i need my internet connection for research.

Thanks so much

:)

Vinceology, Sep 22, 2015
  2. kosisme Win User

Red X on system tray connection icon.

kosisme, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Red X on system tray connection icon.

Hi,

This might be a network connection issue. If you are connected to the Internet, but can't access it and have a red X on the connection tray icon, follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this support article to help resolve the issue:
    Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

Give us an update on how it goes.

Anne Ros, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio

Have you tried the possibility of using system restore to go back before you installed that game? There is also a possibility that you could download the driver for your ASUS from another computer and reinstall them or if you have the driver disc available to try that. Or, you can go to device manager and remove the device (audio and wifi, but do not delete the driver) and let it reinstall itself after the reboot is completed.

GamerwGlasses, Sep 22, 2015
  5. satchmo Win User
    Download the wifi driver from the manufacturer and install it.

satchmo, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Hi guys thanksfor ur suggestion. Im sorry i dont know what a driver is, or how to perform the processes that u suggested.. can u maybe direct me to a tutorial that might help?

Vinceology, Sep 22, 2015
  7. i wanna try the remove the device, but how do i not delete the drivwer? im sorry im so confused. can you walk me through it

Vinceology, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio

1. Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio - Similar Threads - Red Tray Icon

2. Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon: the audio cut out and seems to no longer be available on my laptop. The speaker icon has a red x on it. I restarted the laptop twice, please help....
  3. Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon: the audio cut out and seems to no longer be available on my laptop. The speaker icon has a red x on it. I restarted the laptop twice, please help....
  4. Audio Issues Red 'X' next to audio icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Issues Red 'X' next to audio icon: Greetings,Up until yesterday, my PC hadn't had any issues with audio whatsoever. Everything was working fine, and I was receiving audio output from my PC's front panel through my headphones. Today, I wake up and there's a red 'X' next to the volume icon in the taskbar, and...
  5. Audio Issues Red 'X' next to audio icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio Issues Red 'X' next to audio icon: Greetings,Up until yesterday, my PC hadn't had any issues with audio whatsoever. Everything was working fine, and I was receiving audio output from my PC's front panel through my headphones. Today, I wake up and there's a red 'X' next to the volume icon in the taskbar, and...
  6. Audio Issues Red 'X' next to audio icon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Red X on volume on tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    Red X on volume on tray: I have a red X on my volume button in the bottom of my computer. I have no volume. It just happened today. I haven't done anything to my computer to change this. How do I get it off so I have volume? Thank you so much for your help.....
  8. My Audio icon has a red X and no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Audio icon has a red X and no sound: Dear everyone, I am writing to you on behalf of Sound Problem in device. My laptop band is Asus, it is so old 3-4 years. I have just updated win 10, it isn't activated. My Audio icon has a red X and no sound. I saw many webs and solutions but It was not effective. It...
  9. Issues With Audio Service Not Running Red X, Issues With Network/Wifi Red X

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues With Audio Service Not Running Red X, Issues With Network/Wifi Red X: I'm having issues with my computer and it all started when my audio service for some reason randomly one day when I signed on displayed a Red X and still is on my pc to this day for about maybe close to a few days to a week now. I've watched almost every kind of tutorial and...
  10. Audio works but see red x on icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio works but see red x on icon: My pc is only 2 weeks old (brand new out of box) but I turned it on this morning and there is a red x on the sound icon, but the sound is working fine. I checked for updates but don't have any, what can I do to fix it or make the red x go away? I ran a sound test and it came...