Windows 10: Redoing my system

Discus and support Redoing my system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a thread for me to communicate with Kari and other members as I redo my system so as not to disrupt the tutorials. I find this more convenient... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tony K, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

Redoing my system

This is a thread for me to communicate with Kari and other members as I redo my system so as not to disrupt the tutorials. I find this more convenient and more open than PMs also. Any help or suggestions in performing my redo will be welcome. If any questions, please ask.

I have been and will be using some of Kari's and others' tutorials as listed below. I have my Acer system and/or laptop here for communications, USBs made, and my procedure list in front of me. This is on my dual-boot Asus tower as listed in my specs. Somewhat tricky on a 120GB SSD along with a 2TB internal secondary spinner for personal files and backups.

While planning, I read some basics in scripting by Kari.

PowerShell Scripting - The Basics General Tips Tutorials

System Setup Procedure

Make backup image

Create System Image in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup everything individually:
    Documents
    Pictures
    Videos
    Edge Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\backups\MicrosoftEdgeBackup > .html file
    IE Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\Favorites
    Passwords
    Email addresses
    Have ability to have access to paid programs and/or games to reinstall
    Any software keys

Set UEFI to default

Make ISO(s):
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 1 > Preparations - Create USB install media
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Prepare drive:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 2 > Preparations - Create DISKPART Script > Use Script One

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 3: Boot from USB

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 4: Run DISKPART script

Turn on printer and insert backup thumb drive.

Install on primary partition:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 5: Install Primary OS

Perform steps below.

Install on secondary partition:

Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build
    Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Or

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 6: Install Secondary OS

After install of each partition system:

A) Install any peripheral drivers and monitoring software of collection in D:/Asus Setup folder.
    B) Change saving files to secondary D: drive in Settings app > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved.
    C) Set up OneDrive in its settings. Make sure to have latest version.
    D) Install UWP apps (from Store library), Office 365, and other software.
    E) Perform Disk Cleanup.
    F) Turn BitLocker on.
    G) Optimize D: drive
    H) On install of Insider fast ring perform Registry hack to enter Skip Ahead branch.
    I) Make backup image.

:)

Tony K, Oct 26, 2017

2. BSOD (Driver Power State Failure)

My mistake, after a day of following those instructions, my system crashed again. Tried to redo the steps but same results Redoing my system :(

NishaanRDS, Oct 26, 2017
  3. 786Baraq Win User
    Do I need to redo my System Image & Recovery Drive every time Win10P AU updates OS build from .51 to .82

Hi:

I need to know, if I have to reimage my drive and redo System Recovery disk every time Windows update its OS Build? For example I redid System image my drive and prepare Recovery Disk when I updated to Win 10P 64bit Ver 1607
    OS Build 14393.51. Now my system is updated by Windows Update to Win 10P 64bit Ver 1607
    OS Build 14393.82.

Do I have to redo System Image and prepare again System Repair Disk?

Thanks

786Baraq, Oct 26, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Redoing my system

As a long-term user of the built-in 'create a system image' on my test machine, I can confirm it still works as well as it ever did in the FCU 1709. I've done both the backup and the restore (several times now). It can only be a matter of time before MS shifts it from 'deprecated' to 'removed' though.

5. Kari Win User
    A solid plan. Keep us up to date about how it's going.

That's the main reason why I recommend using Macrium. Having said that, Windows native imaging is like all Windows features: when used as instructed, it works.

6. Bree New Member
    And when abused (like renaming or moving images) it can fall flat on it's face - as I have found to my cost. I know all the pitfalls now and how far I can go before breaking it *Smile

It will be an interesting experiment if/when it is removed to see if an earlier sdclt.exe with it's associated sdclt.exe.mui will still work. I agree though, Macrium is the best way forwards.

7. Tony K Win User
    @Kari and others

I edited my OP adding a procedure list I made in Word. If you have time will you look it over? I can edit if need be as I go along.

Questions:

I think not, but just to be sure > Does BIOS need to be set to default to make ISO(s)?

I will set BIOS to default before starting and make sure it boots from USB. Does secure boot and/or fast boot need to be turned off?

Anything else to set BIOS to?

With setting D: as my “Save-to” drive with both OSs/systems > Will that work, or will there be conflict?

Tony K, Oct 26, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Redoing my system

Just to clarify, when you speak about BIOS you mean UEFI? You will set up your dual boot on GPT disk, switching from current MBR?

Your list on first post:

I do it always like that, just to ensure I'll get user profile named as I want to.

Plenty of time to do that, no need to rush. Normal fast Ring and Skippy will remain the same until at least late January.

Nothing wrong with that.

Just to avoid any future permissions issues, if you will use user folder properties to move location of Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music and so on, I would create root folders on D: for each OS, then user folders for each OS under the main OS folder:
    - D:\OS1\Documents
    - D:\OS1\Pictures
    -- AND --
    - D:\OS2\Documents
    - D:\OS2\Pictures

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

In my opinion, at this point a bit overreacting but does no harm.

Honestly, that's a step I'll never do, no answer.

Yes.

9. Tony K Win User
    I meant UEFI. Yes, GPT as your preparation script will perform.

Got that from reading your posts. *Smile

Ok. Got it.

You're right. The system will and correct if anything is wrong.

Not my SSD, but rather my spinner, although I know that a part of auto maintenance as well. I just like to do it straightway after install.

Ok on the rest. Thanks. *Smile

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Ok, well, here I go. Almost 8:00pm/20:00 here. Let's see how long this takes me.

Edit: Here it is 10:00pm/22:00 and I finally got it to start installing to GPT partition. At first I kept getting the warning "Windows cannot be installed on this partition. It is of a GPT type". This is what happened the last time I installed, got frustrated, and ended up installing MBR scheme. Come to find out I was not saving the BIOS to defaults. It doesn't ask for that like my Acer BIOS does upon exit. *Doh

10:30/22:30: Wow. That was a quick install. First time with Cortana speaking. I spoke some of my answers. Nifty. Setting it up...

11:35/22:35: Installing IP....

Midnight: Wow. 25 minute install. Quick. I'll do some steps, then bed for me. Long day. Overall install would've been quicker had I not run into that snag.

Great job, Kari! *Thumbs

Redoing my system [​IMG]

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Good to know you got it done as planned!

12. swarfega Win User
    I did a local account first this time with FCU and I noticed they seem to have changed it. Before you would only get the first name, even on a local account. Now if you enter your full name it uses it verbatim.

swarfega, Oct 27, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

Redoing my system

Thanks. All in all, it went well. Very satisfied how it all went. Did a little tweaking with procedure list.

Never knew that about my UEFI BIOS. I assumed going on my past experience with legacy BIOS. Never assume is the rule, especially with tech. Lesson learned.

I was amazed at how quick they installed. Watching my time, I would estimate it would take less than 2 hours to set up a dual boot system with the resources that this machine has. Add 1/2 hour each to personalize both. Of course having an MS account and syncing across devices makes it a whole lot quicker and easier. I don't think too many people realize the reality of that. It's great to be a fanboy. *Smile

I marked this as solved. I'm going to ask Admin to move this out of the lounge so that a newer member I'm helping to clean install can read it if he likes.

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for the info. I'm about to perform that today if I have the time. Glad to see it's still in FCU. Hopefully MS will add an updated version in 10 some day.

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
  15. Tony K Win User
    Thanks. Good to know. *Smile

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
Thema:

Redoing my system

1. Redoing my system - Similar Threads - Redoing system

2. every time i redo my drivers it crashes then the gpu is disabled in the device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    every time i redo my drivers it crashes then the gpu is disabled in the device manager: i have just got a new gpu, it is a rx 6700xt. it was fine after first setup updated drivers correctly. but now i keep crashing randomly and when i reboot my display adapter in the device manager is disabled. i do not understand this and google is not helping. i have used ddu...
  3. every time i redo my drivers it crashes then the gpu is disabled in the device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    every time i redo my drivers it crashes then the gpu is disabled in the device manager: i have just got a new gpu, it is a rx 6700xt. it was fine after first setup updated drivers correctly. but now i keep crashing randomly and when i reboot my display adapter in the device manager is disabled. i do not understand this and google is not helping. i have used ddu...
  4. how to update 22h2 when it completes the update and then makes me redo the update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to update 22h2 when it completes the update and then makes me redo the update: Hi i am trying to update to windows 10 22h2 and i have completed the update 5 times however it then just starts doing the same update all over a again and will not let me actually use 22h2. It says everything is updated and then when i click check for updates it restarts the...
  5. how to update 22h2 when it completes the update and then makes me redo the update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to update 22h2 when it completes the update and then makes me redo the update: Hi i am trying to update to windows 10 22h2 and i have completed the update 5 times however it then just starts doing the same update all over a again and will not let me actually use 22h2. It says everything is updated and then when i click check for updates it restarts the...
  6. how to update 22h2 when it completes the update and then makes me redo the update

7. Is it possible to recover any undid actions you can't redo?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to recover any undid actions you can't redo?: I accidentally undid a folder that contained my important files without knowing, and I can't redo it after I restarted my PC.What can I do to restore those missing files? Is it possible to restore any undid files you can't redo?...
  8. Is it possible to recover any undid actions you can't redo?

Is it possible to recover any undid actions you can't redo?: I accidentally undid a folder that contained my important files without knowing, and I can't redo it after I restarted my PC.What can I do to restore those missing files? Is it possible to restore any undid files you can't redo?...
  9. Can you recover undone actions you can't redo?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you recover undone actions you can't redo?: Apparently, I accidentally undid a folder I created that contained my important files without knowing before I restarted my computer, and I can't redo it.Is there any way I can recover any files from the folder I undid and can't redo?...
  10. Can you recover undone actions you can't redo?

Can you recover undone actions you can't redo?: Apparently, I accidentally undid a folder I created that contained my important files without knowing before I restarted my computer, and I can't redo it.Is there any way I can recover any files from the folder I undid and can't redo?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MicrosoftEdgeBackup folder