Windows 10: redundant folders in C after upgrade to windows 10

Discus and support redundant folders in C after upgrade to windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; after upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 I was left with redundant (?) folders in C. namely: $GetCurrent $WINDOWS.~BT $Windows.~WS ESD inetpub... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016.

1. zivshosh Win User

redundant folders in C after upgrade to windows 10

after upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 I was left with redundant (?) folders in C.
    namely:
    $GetCurrent
    $WINDOWS.~BT
    $Windows.~WS
    ESD
    inetpub
    Recovery
    Windows.old
    Windows10Upgrade

Assuming I don't want to go back to Windows 7, Can I safely delete these folders without harming the system
    thanks

:)

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  2. TezSydney Win User

Removing redundant disk stops Win 10 from loading.

Have upgraded to Windows 10 which I like. When I remove redundant disk, Win 10 stops working 'til I replace redundant disk

Per Disk Management

Disk 0 is redundant drive I want to remove, shows as E: This originally had Win 7

Disk 1

Disk 2 has Win 10 programs, shows as c:

Disk 2 has 4 partitions. d: ; c: (Healthy, Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition); blank:Healthy Recovery Partition; f:

Disk 3

BIOS set to first boot from Disk 2

Background

Disk 0 was main disk using Win 7

Disk 2 a new drive bought at same time as Win 8 DVD install disks

Used upgrade feature of Win 8 (to preserve existing data) & installed Windows on Drive 2

Subsequently upgraded to Win 8.1 then Windows 10.

What changes do I have to make to my system so I remove redundant disk?

TezSydney, Jul 17, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Two different user folders

Did you change the default location of your user folders? That's supported by Windows, and there are at least two ways to do it. I've done that myself.

When you change the default location of your user folders, you'll still have user folders in the C: drive, but they'll be empty. The redundant user folders are for (typically older) software that automatically stores data on the C: drive regardless of changes
    you make.

BulldogXX, Jul 17, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

You can use Disk Cleaner > Clean up system files to do most of that. Whatever you delete using it is safe.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  5. zivshosh Win User
    ----------------------------------
    thanks for your quick answer
    did you mean something like ccleaner?
    or which disk cleaner did you mean?

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    The Disk Cleanup built into windows.
    Right click on C: > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files and mark everything there.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    or type cleanmgr.exe in the search bar.

swarfega, Jul 17, 2016
  8. zivshosh Win User

Ok, I was able with some effort to delete $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS
    but windows.old refused to surrender.
    I am administrator, I took ownership of this folder, tried to rename it - nothing helped
    Plus I couldn't find in disk cleanup anything I could check regarding previous windows installations
    Since windows 10 is only from yesterday. Maybe I should wait for the first upgrade?

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  9. zivshosh Win User
    and I still don't know if I can delete:
    @GetCurrent
    ESD
    inetpub
    Logs
    Recovery
    Windows10Upgrade
    thanks

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Are you sure you were in Cleanup system files ??
    Windows old is marked as "Previous windows installations".

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  11. zivshosh Win User
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    many many thanks
    now I found it!
    windows.old is gone

what do I do with:
    $GetCurrent
    ESD
    inetpub
    Recovery
    Windows10upgrade

and another question:
    do I need pagefile, swapfile, hiberfil?
    which one is relevant to windows 10
    thanks

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    Don't know about this Windows10 upgrade, my guess is it contains W10 downloaded from somewhere.
    Other ones I don't know what they are all about, never had any of them.
    Hiberfill file is used to hibernate computer and if you don't do that can be removed by entering following line in Command prompt (as administrator) powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    Pagefile and swapfile are used by windows for virtual memory and size can be adjusted depending how much RAM you have.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  13. zivshosh Win User

------------------------
    I canceled power & sleep in settings (i.e. never, never & high performance)
    but couldn't delete hiberfil
    tried powercfg and got an error message:
    unexpected error (0x65b) Function failed during execution
    maybe after a restart

zivshosh, Jul 17, 2016
  14. kado897 Win User
    I don't think anyone said but to delete Windows.old you have to run the windows cleanup utility as administrator.

kado897, Jul 17, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    Only if you start from command prompt or from Run, no need from disk properties.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

1. redundant folders in C after upgrade to windows 10 - Similar Threads - redundant folders upgrade

2. Windows Mail - redundant folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail - redundant folders: Hi I am trying Windows Mail on my new laptop. It has set me up with a lot of folders I don't need but I can't see how to delete them. Can anyone help, please? Thanks...
  3. redundant programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    redundant programs: I have a couple of programs on my computer that are exactly the same. will that slow my computer down? does everything go through both programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/redundant-programs/67f726c8-518d-4b3a-baf5-ab8b113a5189
  4. Redundant Windows Setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Redundant Windows Setup: I've had my same computer for the past 3-4 years. Just tonight, I clicked the power icon and selected "Shut down." I remembered something else I needed to do, so after it was done shutting down, I turned it back on again. Then, I got a windows alert to install Windows on my...
  5. Windows 10 Redundancy

Windows 10 Redundancy: I found out this week that from December 5th 2019 Microsoft will cease to release updates for their Windows 10 Mobile operating system this will include security updates. I have been using my MS Lumia 550 handset since March 2016, yet Microsoft has not been in touch by text...
  6. Extra folders after upgrade

Extra folders after upgrade: On 3/12/2019 I allowed Microsoft Update to install Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS build 17763.379. it created a new folder "Windows.old" with various sub folders total size 6.3 G. Question: Is this folder going to be part of my system forever? Can I get rid of it?...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade folder: Can this folder be deleted? I have a windows old folder from a few upgrades before but it won't delete, it says it's no longer there but I'm seeing it and there's stuff inside it. How can I remove it if it says it's not there? 109475
  8. Shared folders access problems after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared folders access problems after upgrade to Windows 10: I have a small network of 5 computers, one of them acting as 'server' to share a folder. This 'server's mapped folder was previously fully accessible to the other computers (Windows 7 Home and Windows 10 Home). Yesterday, I upgraded the 'server' to Windows 10 Pro. Since that...
  9. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade: Hello, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 over 4 days ago. After windows 10 was up, all the folders/files in my desktop were moved somewhere. I did a file search and moved them back to the desktop. I was on a general user admin account. Shortly after, I logged into my...
  10. Issue Windows 10 upgrade 95,000 folder in my C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue Windows 10 upgrade 95,000 folder in my C drive: I upgraded my lenovo laptop T440p from windows 8 to windows 10 last week, for so reason I'm having thousands of upgrade folder in my C: every seconds new one's are created. any help would be appreciated. [img] 15919

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powercfg h off 0x65b error