Windows 10: Reflect backup performance...

Discus and support Reflect backup performance... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This one puzzles me... The PC has two Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 drives, one is for the system and the other for data. Reflect scheduled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cr00zng, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Cr00zng Win User

Reflect backup performance...

This one puzzles me...

The PC has two Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 drives, one is for the system and the other for data. Reflect scheduled to create a full image on the daily basis with default compression and encrypted with the same password. The backup device is a 2TB Seagate, connected to to PC via a USB 3.0 port. The backups are scheduled and the number of backup images kept is three in both cases.

For all practical purposes, the difference between the to backups is just the used space for the backed up drives. The time it takes to complete the image backups for the drives obviously different, due to the used space size, but not linear.

System drive size and backup time:

Reflect backup performance... [​IMG]

Data drive size and backup time:

The data drive's used space is ~40% larger and its I/O performance is better than the system drive's. Yet, the backup time is more than twice as long as the system drive's.

What could be the reason for the difference?
    TIA...

:)

Cr00zng, Mar 2, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 backup

You haven't described what steps you are performing to backup or what program you are using.

Windows 10 has two backup utilities: File History and System Image.

I myself prefer third-party software for backup. Macrium Reflect makes my image backup in approx. 6 minutes and my file-and-folder backup in approx. 4 minutes.

BulldogXX, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 2, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Backup performance depends very much on number of files, size of files etc.

You see this when simply copying a large file say 1 GB from one drive to another, compared with copy 1000 files each of 1 MB -the latter is much slower. Large files can be very slow if you have limited RAM, causing lots of paging.

Additionally, some files compress more easily e.g. video files hardly compress at at all, so you have to write a lot more data to the backup.

In the end, you are really comparing oranges and apples.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2018
  5. Mooly Win User
    I would agree with cereberus on the drop in speed when copying many small files. I have a 14MB folder that comprises around 8000 very small .txt files, many just a kb or so in size.

When I copy these to a USB 3 drive the speed slows to a crawl as can be seen by the estimate of the time required. 95% of the time required to transfer all my documents content is taken by this one folder.

When I make a system image of the drive that restriction doesn't seem to come into play and the whole C drive which is around 30Gb in content is imaged in around 3 minutes. That is with AOMEI but Macrium and Windows own backup give similar speeds.

Mooly, Mar 2, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    I was not saying Macrium necessarily suffers same issue as copying though, just pointing out there are lots of factors that influence how fast a drive backs up.

Compression can have a big effect e.g. A large file that compresses well takes more time to compress but is quicker to write, and probably vice versa for a file that hardly compresses (it might even take longer to compress if it is more difficult to compress?).

Also, times can vary due to fragmentation, hardware drive differences etc.

There is no direct correlation between size of backup and speed other than an obvious directional trend that large backups take more time than much smalller backups.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2018
  7. Cr00zng Win User
    Thanks guys/gals...

I am aware that the size of the file can greatly impact the transfer rate, be that local or remote. I am also aware that Reflect utilizes sector based backup:

What I had not been aware/forgot, that Reflect does not backup page and hibernation files. It means that the system used space size is about 40GBs, when all thing considered.

And from this perspective, it seems that the size of the file doesn't matter that much. At least that what I believed incorrectly.

The first thing should have been done is look at the backed up image size:

System drive: ~23 GBs
    Data drive: ~62 GBs

Well, that's pretty much self explanatory... *Busted

Cr00zng, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reflect backup performance... - Similar Threads - Reflect backup performance

2. Reflect backup error...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect backup error...: I have a system with W10 2004 (19041.450), with two M.2 NVMe and one SSD drives; the three drives scheduled for full image on a daily basis. Reflect periodically throws up this error: [img] Periodic, as in maybe once, or twice in a month one of the drives backup fails...
  3. Backup not reflecting changes in folders

Backup not reflecting changes in folders: I have transferred a large number of files between different folders (from DropBox to OneDrive). I have then backed up my whole computer to an external harddrive. But when I check the backup it does not register the change to file locations. Dropbox folder is still full of...
  4. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  5. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  6. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  7. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: How to: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect [img] Information To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: I want to start with a very subjective, personal opinion: Macrium...