Windows 10: Reflect Restore Issues

Discus and support Reflect Restore Issues in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 on an old PC - see Windows 10 on 2004 PC?. I have 2 drives - a SSD containing the OS files and an old HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Steve C, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Reflect Restore Issues

I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 on an old PC - see Windows 10 on 2004 PC?. I have 2 drives - a SSD containing the OS files and an old HDD for storing downloads and OS backups.

I got Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working and activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account. I made a Reflect backup of the SSD OS drive on an external USB drive.

I then tried clean installing the 64 bit version of Windows 10 FCU which failed by whichever route I tried at the first boot screen. I've now given up and restored the 32 bit installation using a Reflect boot disk.

The restore worked OK but I had several issues:

• The restored OS was initially not activated but eventually activated with the digital licence after an hour - is this normal?
    • The second HDD was not listed in This PC. I looked at disk management and noted the drive was inactive since both drives had the same signature. I used the DISKPART UNIQUEID command to change the signature of the HDD and it was then displayed. Why did this happen after restoring the backup image?
    • I first made a Reflect recovery drive using PE 10 rescue media on a DVD but this wouldn't boot on my old PC. I then made another rescue DVD using PE 3.1 and that booted and worked fine. Why is the PE type sensitive to the age of the PC?

:)

Steve C, Nov 9, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

Can you back up a labtop running on windows 10 and restore that data on a new labtop or pc if something goes wrong with the other one?

I have heard Macrium reflect pro has a setting to be able to restore an image to another/different computer although I don't know how you'd go on with activation issues.

Time Lady, Nov 9, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Wi-Fi and Ethernet no longer working after restoring disk image backup via Macrium

I've restored plenty of Reflect backups ... let's say I like to 'experiment' with my PC ... and have never had a problem. You should post your question in the Reflect user forum.

BulldogXX, Nov 9, 2017
  4. Reflect Restore Issues

Did you use Reflect 6 or 7? Version 7 has many problems, I recommend using v6 instead.

muchomurka, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    I used v7. Such is progress!

Steve C, Nov 9, 2017
  6. I stay on v6 so cannot help unfortunately...

muchomurka, Nov 9, 2017
  7. V7 was updated today to 7.1.2695. It works great for me.

Josey Wales, Nov 9, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Reflect Restore Issues

1. It's activated thru MS account or on MS servers, not localy so it may take some time to connect and go thru, even a day or two or longer.
    3. Windows PE reflects the windows version it's made from, it's just any exceptionally small and reduced OS.

CountMike, Nov 11, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I didn't realise activation can take a day or more since activation of my previous updates on other PCs was very quick.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Reflect Restore Issues

1. Reflect Restore Issues - Similar Threads - Reflect Restore Issues

2. Macrium Reflect restores Recycle.Bin

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect restores Recycle.Bin: I installed Office 2010 and then decide to restore a previous image to get rid of it because the registry and hard drive are never cleaned with an uninstall. In the mean time I had searched the registry for all Office14 occurrences and saved a .reg file and then deleted it...
  3. Can't restore image made with Reflect and using Reflect

Can't restore image made with Reflect and using Reflect: I made an image on my Dell xps 13 (win10pro) while running fine. I tried to install a win10 image from another notebook using redeploy. It wouldn't work as it said I had to have a paid version on the xps. So I corrupted the xps by installing the new image so it won't boot. I...
  4. Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue

Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue: I've got a major problem with a restore of an image I created in Macrium Reflect 7. I have restored images from Macrium often on my Windows 10 installation Bootcamped on an iMac24 from 2008. After the restore finishes with no errors, the machine restarts but hits an...
  5. Macrium reflect system restore function?

Macrium reflect system restore function?: Hi I was wondering does macrium reflect have a system restore like function? I'm asking since I think I remember someone saying it had a similar function without having to backup a full image? 111698
  6. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  7. Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore: Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6. New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that). So I initially created a Macrium image...
  8. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  9. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524