Windows 10: Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem!

Discus and support Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Can you answer my 'PS' or do you want me to post a new? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by markg2, Aug 6, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem!

Can you answer my 'PS' or do you want me to post a new?

markg2, Aug 7, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

Uhh - without you quoting post this refers to, it means we have to read all posts which can be a pain on a many paged thread.

cereberus, Aug 7, 2017
  3. markg2 Win User
    Point taken--

P.S. (acknowledged this is against forum etiquette, but a quick answer to a small off-topic problem I just got myself into with my wife's Win7 monitor trying to be helpful...) In the process of using Intel's display wizard (for the first and last time), the d*mn thing automatically changed the resolution to the 'correct' preferred which is not where my wife and I had it set a few years ago. Now I can't remember/get by trial and error where it was. Other than restoring an entire image from last night, or a restore point, is there is less drastic way of getting back to that unknown resolution value that was present an hour ago? I've not had great luck with restore points but if I did roll back would the resolution be restored?

markg2, Aug 7, 2017
  4. markg2 Win User

Regarding NavyLCDR's suggestion to build UFD, FAT32--Active w/Reflect mounted ISO.

I just checked the UFD that wouldn't Dell boot. For the record, it is FAT32 w/1 active partition.

Nonetheless, before copying the mounted ISO I will reformat.

I had used the OS's right click format previously and same had transparently marked the partition as active. Any reason not to use the OS again to reformat?

markg2, Aug 7, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    I didn't answer it because I have not a faintest clue how Intel Display Wizard works and what it might or might not have done to your display.

6. markg2 Win User
    The Intel app itself is inconsequential. The only thing it did was change the screen resolution from what it was to what 'it' wanted and then I cancelled out of the utility but am stuck with the wrong resolution and would be happy as a clam if there was a less painful way than an image restore to return the screen resolution to what the system had prior to the change.

markg2, Aug 7, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    @markg2

Not knowing anything about any Dell Resolution Wizard, and not meaning to oversimplify, but are you looking for this standard setting? Click the dropdown arrow (V) and pick what you want.

Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem! [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Aug 7, 2017
  8. markg2 Win User

You got it. It's my wife's desktop Win7 and all the intel thing does is adjust display settting from a different way. The problem is precisely resolution and I don't need intel to get me there. But the d*mn wizard (my choice) reset the resolution to preferred and I can't seem to get the resolution back to where it was set. I'm just looking for the easiest way to reset the resolution to where it was before I got creative! If there is one vs restoring last nights image

markg2, Aug 7, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    This help?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...een-resolution

f14tomcat, Aug 7, 2017
  10. Winuser Win User
    Plus 1. *Thumbs I have a USB flash drive as a extra option.

Winuser, Aug 7, 2017
  11. markg2 Win User
    I'm not doing an image restore. I remember that one of the QuickBooks programs was open yesterday morning from the night before and I don't trust an image to grab and open data file. And my automatic data backup would have skipped the file.

I've got the resolution close and now it'll take the two of us to get it right. The problem is QuickBooks.The program is a RPITA. It wants screen size the way it wants it. So it's a matter of her seeing the desktop icon size/spacing and then opening 2 different versions of QB and confirming that the data file is viewed correctly.

The 'recommended' resolution for this screen reduces size too much for her eyes.

markg2, Aug 8, 2017
  12. markg2 Win User
    Boot Problem Resolved!

The Dell has 4 USB ports--2 on the left, 2 on the right. The mouse transmitter is always in the right back. The external drive uses the right front (Reflect scheduled images).

The left 2 are used for UFD and/or DVD.

I thought I'd test the UFD on the right side before setting up another UFD from a different purchase date with rescue data and try an external ISO/CD. So I removed the external drive from the right front USB and inserted the UFD.

F12 saw the USB port on the UEFI boot screen and I booted to Reflect.

Then I kept the external drive unplugged and inserted the UFD back into the left USB where I've been trying to see the USB for the past days with no luck. F12 again saw the USB port!

For whatever reason, you cannot have the external USB hard drive attached when attempting to boot from USB. Who would have thunk ;-)?

Mark

markg2, Aug 9, 2017
  13. RolandJS Win User

Concerning your wife's computer -- monitor resolution settings can sometimes, but not always, be adjusted after a cold or warm boot, and a fresh Windows session -- don't know why, I sometimes can fix a temporary hiccup after a cold or warm boot, and a fresh Windows session. I don't know if the above helps or not because I'm a Windows 7 person.

RolandJS, Aug 10, 2017
  14. markg2 Win User
    I restored her machine to a week ago, took screen shots of the resolution and color settings, restored her current image and adjusted all settings.

Peace resides again in the family ;-)

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reflect Restore UEFI boot from USB problem! - Similar Threads - Reflect Restore UEFI

2. Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all, I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my situation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  3. Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem

Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my stiation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  4. Is my sequence correct for Booting from Macrium Reflect and Restoring

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is my sequence correct for Booting from Macrium Reflect and Restoring: I have a Macrium Reflect image of my current Win 10 machine on an external HDD. I have a new custom build. I just want to make sure I do things in the correct sequence. Use the USB flash drive I made to boot a new machine. Then navigate to the external HDD and open the...
  5. Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.

Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.: I want to do a fresh install of windows on my ssd with a usb. I don't have access to a secondary windows computer but have downloaded the .iso file on a sandisk 16GB usb from my mac. My pc originally didn't boot with the file in the exfat format so I managed to copy the .iso...
  6. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  7. UEFI boot problem

UEFI boot problem: [ATTACH] Hi everybody, I recently ordered a laptop Acer Nitro 5 from an online shop in spain and i got it today. Very excited, i turn it on and it gives me as shown in the picture. I already a bootable usb with windows 10 on it but there is only UEFI boot mode i...
  8. Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI

Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI: I'm having difficulty booting from a USB flash drive. Although the USB drive appears in the boot menu, when clicked the screen goes blank, then sends me back to the boot menu within seconds. I have tried using several different USB creation utilities, including Rufus. This...
  9. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  10. Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Device Not Found + Problem with Reflect restore attempt: You all likely know this already, but-- When I ran Dban to wipe the drive, the Start command of F10 along the bottom of the screen had no effect. The program just sat there. Fn + F10 worked (after staring at the screen for several minutes pissed ;-) Mark