Windows 10: Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded to Win 10 about a year ago on Microsoft's free upgrade program. I get the impression that my PC is now full of all sorts of unwanted crud -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ACPJHB, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ACPJHB Win User

Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro

I upgraded to Win 10 about a year ago on Microsoft's free upgrade program. I get the impression that my PC is now full of all sorts of unwanted crud - it has slowed to a crawl, and no amount of scans, cleaners, etc seem to help.
    I want to completely scrub the drives (I have two full data backups) and reload the OS and software. I have all the software, but am not sure that the ISO I made when upgrading to Win 10 will still work if I load it and try to activate it. I have the product ID, but I guess that is generic to Win 10 Pro, and not specific to my license. With the free upgrade program, I never of course had a Product Key. With the Free Upgrade program now over, what will happen if I reformat and reload Win 10? Will I be able to activate it?

:)

ACPJHB, Oct 3, 2016

2. Question about reformatting

My pc just had a critical error and needs to be reformatted. It is running on windows 10 home via the free upgrade, my question is if I reformat the pc will its license be the same as I had when I upgraded for free or will I need to purchase the OS? Sorry
    for my bad english.

Vergel LouieEtcubañez Leander, Oct 3, 2016
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro was aborted

Dear friends at Microsoft,

I recently had to reformat my PC. I am on WIndows 7 Pro but it was upgraded for free to Windows 10 Pro. But when reinstalling the upgrade an error occur and that the upgrade cannot be reinstall. Here's the error number 0x8007007e.

Please help me with this and tell me where I can find this patch?

Sincerely yours,

E.S. Bustillo

Esmeraldo S Bustillo Jr, Oct 3, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Yes.

Activate Windows 10

Web search on "digital entitlement". Microsoft's activation servers will automatically activate new Win 10 install on the same hardware.

bobkn, Oct 3, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would start with a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD created from the most recent ISO available:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from the flash drive or DVD. When asked for a product key, select the link at the bottom for "I don't have a product key". Select the custom install option when asked. Select Windows 10 Pro when asked. After selecting the custom install option you will be presented with a list of drives and partitions. Select the drive you want to install Windows to (probably drive 0) and delete every partition on that drive. This will erase everything on that drive, so make sure you back up what you want to keep first. When the drive is just one big unallocated space with no partitions left on it, select the unallocated space and click next. That will let Windows setup create the partitions it wants to and install Windows 10.

Activation over the internet will be automatic based upon the digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers when the computer was upgraded to Windows 10 based upon the hardware ID of the computer.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2016
  6. ACPJHB Win User
    Thank you bobkn and Navy LCDR. Your advice gratefully received.

ACPJHB, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Reformatting running free

2. Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro?: Hello Microsoft Community and Support,Right now I have Intel i7 NUC CPU. Windows 11 upgrade compatibility app tells me my device is eligible for Windows 11 upgrade. I have Windows 10 Pro on that device. Can someone clarify my doubts?Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro...
  3. Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro?: Hello Microsoft Community and Support,Right now I have Intel i7 NUC CPU. Windows 11 upgrade compatibility app tells me my device is eligible for Windows 11 upgrade. I have Windows 10 Pro on that device. Can someone clarify my doubts?Is it free to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro...
  4. Genuine Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrad - Is it free?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Genuine Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrad - Is it free?: Hello, I have genuine Windows 7 Pro running on my dell vostro 2520 with key purchased from Microsoft. I got a message on my laptop that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft so please upgrad to Windows 10. I know, I am late on this. I want to understand that if I...
  5. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade: Hi, Is it still possible to free upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Our customer has bought M365 E3 license which has Windows enterprise free upgradation license. For this to happen, the base OS should be Windows 10 Pro activated. Currently some machines are in...
  6. Windows 8.1 Pro with a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro moved to a new PC

Windows 8.1 Pro with a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro moved to a new PC: I purchased Windows 8.1 Pro which came with a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I installed and activated Windows 8.1 Pro on PC1. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and activated on PC1. I purchased PC2. I have installed the same Windows 10 Pro installed on PC2 but not activated....
  7. Reformat Windows 10 PC

Reformat Windows 10 PC: My PC is running very, very sluggishly. Updating all drivers to the latest versions and cleaning the PC up has not helped. I'm drawn to starting afresh by reformatting the hard disk and reinstalling Windows 10. I will do all necessary backups before hand but need help with...
  8. Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10

Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10: I want to reformat my laptop it is a Windows xp but upgraded free to windows 10 ..will I be able to use my xp key code then upgrade to windows 10 free again...
  9. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  10. Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro

Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro: If I were to reformat a Windows 10 Pro, which is upgraded from a Windows 10 Home (provided by manufacturer) through Windows Store, will it return back to Windows 10 Home? Or will it stay on Windows 10 Pro? 50687