Windows 10: Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

Discus and support Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by r1pearce60, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E*Smile Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced deletion may affect application that is using this partition.

Is there a "safe" way to remove the OS partition and/or reformat the drive or should I disregard the warning? Note: It's connected directly to a socket on the Mother Board (a Dellism) so not sure about remove and external format. Acronis has a "disk clean" utility, but it's a DOD wipe, so not sure of its use here.

Rich Pearce (Windows 10 Newbee)

:)

r1pearce60, Jan 11, 2016
  2. cko1xxxx Win User

I put in a new SSD, copied my old disk using Samsungs SW, and want to make my original disk a second disk.

Dennis,

Thank you. I was able to access the old HD and reformat the data partition. There are currently six partitions on the old drive but I can only reformat the data partition. How do I format the entire drive? It is a 2GB HD and I can only reformat the large
    data partition (1.8 GB) so its not terribly important since I have plenty of space but I'd like to know. Thanks again.

cko1xxxx, Jan 11, 2016
  3. AndyZ1977 Win User
    Settings app crashing when I click "About" tab

PXE is to install an OS image directly from the corporate network where I work. It completely re-partitions, reformats, and images the drive.

AndyZ1977, Jan 11, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

What happened in Safe Mode? Or, after booting ATI/Disk Director USB or DVD?

RolandJS, Jan 11, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply.

Didn't try safe mode. Will try disk maintenance access in safe mode.

Unfamiliar with ATI/Disk Director. Again, this is not a primary boot drive issue - new 900 Gb SSD is now the boot drive and works fine, so not sure if the recommendation is applicable but will research.

Adding to reply - Thanks for the response! Tried booting in safe mode and disk management worked just fine. Reformatting drive for simple NTFS volume. *Smile

Rich

r1pearce60, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

1. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition - Similar Threads - Reformatting Old Drive

2. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one: Hello,I have transfered my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to SSD. Probably worth mentioning that I used minitool shadowmaker backup and recovery to do this. The system works just fine when I unplug the old drive, system boots from new SSD. Issue is when I insert old HDD, then it...
  3. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one: Hello,I have transfered my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to SSD. Probably worth mentioning that I used minitool shadowmaker backup and recovery to do this. The system works just fine when I unplug the old drive, system boots from new SSD. Issue is when I insert old HDD, then it...
  4. Reformat old drive after moving OS to new one without loss of new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to reformat old boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to reformat old boot drive: Running Win10 1909 64 bit. I replaced my old 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD. I'd like to format the old 1TB HDD and use it to replace my 640GB HDD "D" drive. So, I plugged in the old HDD and booted. Came up with a bluescreen that asked said I needed to go back to change the BIOS. The...
  6. 2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.: I have an external Hard Drive 500GB, it was formatted into 2 partitions. I have done backup of the contents, then I thought I need to format it to a one hard disk. I did delete the 2 partitions in "computer management". Later this hard drive did not show on "This PC" and can...
  7. How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to reformat a SSD drive with OS on it, but no longer required?: I have a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD which used to have my Windows installation on my desktop PC. Apparently there are two partitions on it. I would like to start using it as an ordinary external disk for my laptop. What steps should I take to delete everything on it? 134750
  8. How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS

How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS: I reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 1809) onto an empty partition (320 GB) on a new 1 TB hard drive, leaving the remaining space (611 GB) unallocated. After the installation, I deleted the prior OS partition where the previous Windows 10 was installed...
  9. recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing...

recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing...: If a wish to clone my HDD to my SSD to make it the boot drive, and then remove the HDD from the PC, can I include the recovery partition in the cloning process? Is it something specific to the hard drive it's on, and wouldn't work on a different hard drive? LIkewise, can a...
  10. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?: I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which partition to delete and refortmat to install windows os 2019

2. steps in reformat a OS=win7

3. re-format and partition old hard drive

4. windows reformat old os drive