Windows 10: Refresh erasing files.

Discus and support Refresh erasing files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I hope this is the correct section to post this, so here goes. Recently, i installed windows 10 pro on a computer and noticed that if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lenkk, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Lenkk Win User

Refresh erasing files.

Hello everyone!
    I hope this is the correct section to post this, so here goes.
    Recently, i installed windows 10 pro on a computer and noticed that if i pinned anything on start menu(right hand side tiles) start menu would freeze, close and reopen with default icon locations -erasing my edits-.
    I didn't bother much, so i thought i would refresh the installation 'cause i didn't want to move the backup again (named windows.0ld not windows.old).
    So, after refresh, folder windows.0ld was gone, just like that.
    Any thoughts about this? i am currently running testdisk under linux in order to recover my files.

:)

Lenkk, Sep 20, 2017

2. Receive "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes" after KB3124266 install

I don't want to reinstall everytime Windows update gives me an error. If I have to do that, will the option to erase files only erase files on Drive C:\? My documents are on a separate partition, so are they safe? Have you tried refresh with keeping files
    and that didn't work?

Normal_user20185347, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 event log nothing but errors

I did a refresh Recovery where all the files are cleaned out and drives wiped clean. I did this yesterday it only been running after the refresh for about 14 hours. Is that not good enough? Should I secure erase my hard drives and re-download and install
    on a thumb drive?

bluewhale1, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Lenkk Win User

Refresh erasing files.

Update: Testdisk doesn't seem to find my files. Is it possible that refresh overwrites specific sectors on disk? Like the ones that the previous installation was on. I can't lose those files..

Lenkk, Sep 20, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Refresh Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Which option did you choose?

And it sounds as if you don't have a backup strategy. Amongst other things we strongly and repeatedly urge people to use disk imaging- which should be supported by another means to protect critical files you are working on.

Keep my files
    • This is to refresh Windows 10.
    • Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Remove everything
    • This is to reset Windows 10.
    • Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    • If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Lenkk Win User
    Refresh was the option. I made double sure cause i didn't want any data loss.
    But what troubles me is, why did it erased a file besides windows.old
    Currently GetDataBack is being run.

Lenkk, Sep 21, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    I'll try to make this more explicit for you.

You chose to Refresh your PC. You then have two basic options- to 'Keep My Files' or 'Remove Everything'.

It sounds as if you chose the latter...

Put another way, how long did it take?
    If you did that, and you have no backup, that would explain your present difficulty.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2017
  8. Lenkk Win User

Refresh erasing files.

I made certain i chose the option to KEEP the files aka refresh. Reset deletes all.
    It was a brief refresh, less than an hour. As testdisk didn't come up with anything after deep search, current program runs about 4 or so hours.

Lenkk, Sep 21, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Out of curiosity, where was the windows.0ld file before you did the Reset? "Keep my files" option I believe refers to the folders/files in your USER folder. Like Documents, Pictures, etc. If the Windows.0ld was on C: (in the root directory), that would probably not be considered a "user" file, and be deleted.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2017
  10. Lenkk Win User
    Indeed, windows.0ld was in root folder. But as far as i searched, any user-modified folder should be intact and present in the proper windows.old that is created afterwards.

Lenkk, Sep 21, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    I don't believe that applies to Root folders. A refresh essentially does a clean install and puts all you USER DATA, SETTINGS, and Store APPS back on. That being said, the Root folder C: would be re-created. That Windows.0ld of yours would not be considered "USER" data and would be discarded.

Excerpt:

Using Reset This PC with the Keep My Files option will essentially perform a fresh install of Windows 10 while keeping all your data intact. More specifically, when you choose this option from the Recovery Drive, it will find and back up all your data, settings, and apps. It will then install a fresh copy of Windows and restore the data, settings, and the apps that were installed with Windows 10. When your PC restarts, just log in with your same username and password and find all your data.

Reset your Windows 10 system with the Keep My Files option

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2017
  12. Lenkk Win User
    Will do, after recovery program finishes its scan.
    Thanks for your time and info!

Lenkk, Sep 21, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Refresh erasing files.

What files does Windows 10 keep? - Super User

Post under '2 Answers'
    - an elementary test of reset, keeping files.

In particular, note this comment:
    - do you now have a Windows.old?

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Refresh erasing files.

1. Refresh erasing files. - Similar Threads - Refresh erasing files

2. when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive: when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-erase-a-file-in-my-pc-also-erases-in-the-one/238bf060-d29f-4615-90e1-1e01cbeafedd
  3. when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive: when erase a file in my pc also erases in the one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-erase-a-file-in-my-pc-also-erases-in-the-one/238bf060-d29f-4615-90e1-1e01cbeafedd
  4. There are some files I can't erase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are some files I can't erase: I opened windows settings, then went to apps and found a 11gb file that when I try to erase it, windows says that it can't find the file. When I go and look for the file in my folders it's not there. It's like a ghost file...
  5. is it safe to erase WIP type file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is it safe to erase WIP type file?: Hello, i am confused with "other" folder in my laptop storage, it used 87.8 GB in total, and in that "other" folder, there is 1 folder named C:\Erase52.tmp using 81.8 GB, why it using so much space storage in my laptop?, i want to delete this C:\Erase52.tmp folder, but i am...
  6. Always erasing files!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Always erasing files!: I want to know why does my OC always erase my files and I have a constantly download my apps every time!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/always-erasing-files/b20cd626-c2f9-471a-b5a0-9561231748f7
  7. Non-erasable file on desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Non-erasable file on desktop?: Hey, I kind of put a non-erasable test.gif file on my desktop. I cannot delete them even with Admin CMD. Does anyone else have an idea? PS: Turning off visibility is not an option... [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Nicht löschbare Datei auf Desktop?
  8. erasing files and folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    erasing files and folders: I am trying to erase all my files and folders, Windows 10 advice does not work. It stops half way through ;reset; Are there any apps that will do the job https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erasing-files-and-folders/226fa19a-6957-41cf-b19e-48ce44ba641e
  9. Recovering erased temp files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering erased temp files: Following the October system update, Windows created a series of temp files in the User Folder duplicating the computer folder structure. These folders were set as default folders of my tax software so that I saved my tax files into these folders only to realize that they...
  10. files accidently erased on ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    files accidently erased on ssd: I accidentally deleted user name and other files on my ssd cant do things as task manager or restore my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-accidently-erased-on-ssd/96e3e868-fdf4-4d66-bcb1-a1df8025b21f