Windows 10: Refresh Windows 10

Discus and support Refresh Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hi! If I choose the first option, which says reinstalling Windows 10 but keeps my personal files, does this really keep my personal and installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Vladimir, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Refresh Windows 10

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2015
  2. sazz4 Win User

I've been searching for an answer but haven't been able to figure it out.
    I've just done an upgrade from w7 to 10. I've also started downloading w10 updates. can someone tell me if either reset or refresh would delete the w10 updates? not sure if the operating updates fall under the user data, user accounts, and important settings category. What I'm trying to avoid having to re-download all the w10 updates again, but I don't know which method is 'safe' to use.

sazz4, Nov 12, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello sazz4, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Yes, a refresh or reset would remove all installed updates.

Brink, Nov 12, 2015
  4. Refresh Windows 10

Brink,

If I use option one will I be able to see all the programs I will have to reinstall BEFORE any changes to my current setup?

jayhawk714, Nov 27, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jayhawk,

I'm afraid not. It'll remove all apps installed by you. *Sad

Brink, Nov 27, 2015
  6. Bummer, but not a deal breaker........

jayhawk714, Nov 27, 2015
  7. Ltejeda Win User
    Hello, I currently have a problem regarding the resetting of my Windows 10 while keeping my files...
    A little background beforehand:
    Took my Dell Inspiron to my campus in order to finish work and managed to log onto their wifi twice, the third time the wifi Internet adapter did not pick up any networks(campus and home). I've tried many ways to restore wifi connectivity to no avail.
    So, I decided to reset my computer while preserving my files but the process seems to be in a loop for 10hrs at 64-85% where it does not finish installing features and drives.
    I'm not an avid computer expert on how it functions, so any insight will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Ltejeda, Dec 9, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Refresh Windows 10

Hello Ltejeda, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

In that case, you may need to reset instead, but you will lose everything that you don't backup first.

You might create a new thread for thee Wi-Fi issue to see if we may be able to help with that to avoid a reset or clean install.

Brink, Dec 10, 2015
  9. Ltejeda Win User
    Thank you for the welcome! Sorry for the late response.

How would I go about reseting if I do not have access to the desktop itself?
    Also, how would I be able to back up my data?

My knowledge is severely limited when fixing computers. As of now, I sent it to an acquaintance of mines to review and fix it. However, any knowledge on the aforementioned things would be greatly appreciated!

Ltejeda, Dec 11, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 11, 2015
  11. maranna Win User
    I am curious; will the finished product of a refresh be .ESD or .WIM ?
    The reason I ask is that I will want to be able to do DISM repair with a valid soure.
    I also want to be able to create partitions.
    TQ
    Peter

maranna, Dec 12, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Peter, *Smile

There's no need to specify a source with DISM after doing a repair install since it would use the default Windows image as usual. You would typically only need to specify a source if the default image was unable to repair or is corrupted.

Brink, Dec 12, 2015
  13. egipps Win User

Refresh Windows 10

Hi, the windows.old directory created when I upgraded from 8 to 10 is no longer on my surface. I do have the recovery usb (created yesterday). Will the refresh still work or do I need to also have installation media? I'm nervous to start if I don't have everything I need.

egipps, Jan 6, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello egipps, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

No worries. Refresh/Reset doesn't use anything from the Windows.old old. Instead it uses the default Windows image installed with Windows. If Windows can't find the image for whatever reason when you refresh, it'll just ask you to insert your installation media like in step 6 to use it instead.

Brink, Jan 6, 2016
  15. egipps Win User
    Thanks heaps. Only problem might be that the Surface Pro 3 didn't come with installation media. And it had Windows 8 installed when I bought it. Would the Windows 10 upgrade have installed an image? Hmm maybe I should download the image first just in case? (provided the right version is available). Don't think I can go backwards if it needs it.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DSSURFACE
    System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Model Surface Pro 3
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Surface_Pro_3
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.11.0950, 5/06/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 32.00
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale Australia
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
    Username DsSurface\Doreen
    Time Zone AUS Eastern Summer Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.91 GB
    Available Physical Memory 4.66 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 9.16 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.76 GB
    Page File Space 1.25 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

egipps, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

Refresh Windows 10

1. Refresh Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Refresh

2. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor keeps refreshing: I don't know why this is suddenly happening. My mouse won't stop refreshing with the blue circle next to it, and I can't right click on things properly. But another issue is that I can't really do anything to fix this because for some reason I cannot login to my administrator...
  3. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor keeps refreshing: I don't know why this is suddenly happening. My mouse won't stop refreshing with the blue circle next to it, and I can't right click on things properly. But another issue is that I can't really do anything to fix this because for some reason I cannot login to my administrator...
  4. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?: I was lagging a lot when playing games so I checked my refresh rate but it only had a max of 64 even though my monitor can handle a 144 hertz refresh rate. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it....
  6. Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?

Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?: I was lagging a lot when playing games so I checked my refresh rate but it only had a max of 64 even though my monitor can handle a 144 hertz refresh rate. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it....
  7. After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.: Hello,I just started to use Windows 11 after getting a new PC, now I'm having an issue I never had before, while working I was copying 6 files from a folder to another.Right after the copy/paste, only 4 out of 6 files appeared on the folder.So I went back to the 1st folder,...
  8. After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.

After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.: Hello,I just started to use Windows 11 after getting a new PC, now I'm having an issue I never had before, while working I was copying 6 files from a folder to another.Right after the copy/paste, only 4 out of 6 files appeared on the folder.So I went back to the 1st folder,...
  9. Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz: I just bought a brand new LG Ultrawide 1440p monitor capable of up to 160Hz, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get a higher option than 60Hz. I've updated my Iris Xe and the LG drivers with no luck. I have a Surface Laptop 4 connected to a Thinkpad USB-C Gen 1 docking...
  10. Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz

Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz: I just bought a brand new LG Ultrawide 1440p monitor capable of up to 160Hz, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get a higher option than 60Hz. I've updated my Iris Xe and the LG drivers with no luck. I have a Surface Laptop 4 connected to a Thinkpad USB-C Gen 1 docking...