Windows 10: Refusal to boot

Discus and support Refusal to boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I first tried to install Windows 10 to a new ssd in a system with a hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it. After the install it booted to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Structor125, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Refusal to boot

I first tried to install Windows 10 to a new ssd in a system with a hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it. After the install it booted to the flash drive that had the install on it again. I removed that and it failed to boot. I cannot select the ssd in the boot device menu so I choose the hard disk. Sometimes it gives a black screen with text, and other times it says windows needs to be repaired and lets me choose windows 8.1 or 10. I then tried to install windows 10 on the hard drive and now that won 't boot either. I've tried resetting the pc in windows recovery, and that doesn't work, nearly all of the features for repair your pc in the install media, but nothing. Now I'm going to put 8.1 back on the hard drive and try to upgrade from that and then clean install over the new install of windows 10 upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions before I do that?

:)

Structor125, Jan 2, 2016
  2. (Harley) Win User

Windows Refusal to boot

So I spilled milk on my laptop keyboard..

The keys didn't work at first, so I got a USB Keyboard. The computer worked fine at first, then when I went to use device manager it gave an error something like MMC can't open this. So I turned my computer completely off and then back on. Ever since, it
    won't let me sign in and reboots after short spans of time on the login page. I also get an error upon booting; C:\Program Files\Wacom\Wacom_Tablet.exe a referral was returned from the server. None of the recovery options work and I've tried everything I can
    think of. Please help!

(Harley), Jan 2, 2016
  3. Windows Refusal to boot

Hi Harley,

We'd like to ask for additional information for us to better assist you. Please answer the following:

• Have you tried to check the USB keyboard's compatibility with your PC?
    • Have you tried removing the USB keyboard to test if your PC will start without error?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • What is the make and model of your USB keyboard?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Refusal to boot

Although that sounds like the hard way, it might actually be the best way. Good luck.

Rocky, Jan 2, 2016
  5. The problem is that Windows 8.1 now does the same thing. It gets through its first installation part, tells me to remove the installation media, reboots, and then cannot boot back into windows to complete the installation.

Structor125, Jan 3, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Can you actually see the ssd at all?

Are you sure it is properly connected?

Can't quote remember how, but when you boot from installation usb, go to a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

This should show you if ssd is being seen.

cereberus, Jan 3, 2016
  7. The ssd definitely shows up in the bios and in diskpart. The hard drive I used before is having the same problem so I don't think it's an ssd issue.

Structor125, Jan 3, 2016
  8. Rocky Win User

Refusal to boot

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Refusal to boot

1. Refusal to boot - Similar Threads - Refusal boot

2. System crashes and refuses to boot when i update microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System crashes and refuses to boot when i update microsoft basic display adapter: Whenever I try to update my microsoft basic display adapter my laptop crashes and boots into recovery mode and I had to reset my laptop many times is there a reason for this or am I doing something wrong?I got the drive from intel's website and ran it with their support...
  3. System crashes and refuses to boot when i update microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System crashes and refuses to boot when i update microsoft basic display adapter: Whenever I try to update my microsoft basic display adapter my laptop crashes and boots into recovery mode and I had to reset my laptop many times is there a reason for this or am I doing something wrong?I got the drive from intel's website and ran it with their support...
  4. System crashes and refuses to boot when i update microsoft basic display adapter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why does my Lenovo PC refuse to boot up when I have USB devices connected to the computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Lenovo PC refuse to boot up when I have USB devices connected to the computer?: Hi everyone,I have a Lenovo PC running Windows 11 and I have noticed that sometimes if I have some USB devices for example an external hard drive and other items that my computer will not boot up and the screen stays black.I contacted Lenovo support about this and they said...
  6. Why does my Lenovo PC refuse to boot up when I have USB devices connected to the computer?

Why does my Lenovo PC refuse to boot up when I have USB devices connected to the computer?: Hi everyone,I have a Lenovo PC running Windows 11 and I have noticed that sometimes if I have some USB devices for example an external hard drive and other items that my computer will not boot up and the screen stays black.I contacted Lenovo support about this and they said...
  7. Windows 10 install refuses to boot after connecting another Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 install refuses to boot after connecting another Windows 10 install: Good day,I recently assembled a completely new PC, and still had the old PC and it's parts left, including the SATA SSD with my old Windows 10 install on it. I hooked up the old SSD to my new PC and started up, with the intention of putting the whole partition through a...
  8. Windows 10 install refuses to boot after connecting another Windows 10 install

Windows 10 install refuses to boot after connecting another Windows 10 install: Good day,I recently assembled a completely new PC, and still had the old PC and it's parts left, including the SATA SSD with my old Windows 10 install on it. I hooked up the old SSD to my new PC and started up, with the intention of putting the whole partition through a...
  9. Windows 10 install refuses to boot after connecting another Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Why does Windows refuse to boot after driver updates.

Why does Windows refuse to boot after driver updates.: I've had to reinstall windows several times on my PC and it happens every time I have to update a driver. My PC is a third-party pre-built PC. I'll attach my specs at the bottom. When I first got my PC in 2020, this happened. I had to boot and reinstall windows from a USB. I...